ping: Jonathan Kay

D

Drew

Jonathan.. you have been a great help over the years to me anytime messenger
acted up. Thankfully it has been at least 2 1/2 years since anything
remotely problematic has reared its head.

Anyways to make a long story short. I know win live 4 is coming and is not
going to really include xp. not a problem for me as I run win 7! The problem
is some friends still run xp and are wondering whether we will still be able
to communicate across platforms. Live messenger out now versus the next gen
in win live 4? Any help would be appreciated as always.

Drew

My Computer

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Hi Drew,

Not to hijack anything, but you did ask for me. Just to add as a tidbit, it does seem that
making Messenger 2010 work on XP isn't going to be happening. It uses a bunch of new calls
added to the kernel in Vista and above which aren't (well not easily) replaceable.

Still, the current clients will work, and other third-party clients too. In fact you may
even get a better experience using the classic Messenger functions as 2010 is missing quite a
few (but it is still in development so who knows)...

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
5 days to go!
--

"Drew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Jonathan.. you have been a great help over the years to me anytime messenger acted up.
> Thankfully it has been at least 2 1/2 years since anything remotely problematic has reared
> its head.
>
> Anyways to make a long story short. I know win live 4 is coming and is not going to really
> include xp. not a problem for me as I run win 7! The problem is some friends still run xp
> and are wondering whether we will still be able to communicate across platforms. Live
> messenger out now versus the next gen in win live 4? Any help would be appreciated as
> always.
>
> Drew

My Computer