• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x64

S

Swiss

#1
Hello,

After a “auto-update†my two DVD are not usable any more in my Vista
Ultimate X64.
Vista recognize my two DVD well… BUT a gives “error codes 39†and says to me
that I have the last drivers.

I can nothing any more make, I thought that it to étair ONLY the KB938979
which posed the problem, but at the time of this last update (15 august 2007)
I still lost my two DVD.

Plextor DVDR PX-760A ATA Device
Plextor DVD-ROM PX-130A ATA Device

Helllllllllllllllp

Sorry for my very bad english :-(
 

My Computer

Q

Quilnux

#2
Hello,

First of all, was the "auto-update" for the drives firmware (from plextor's
web site) or an update for windows? May help if you can post the update
number if it was a Windows Update. You said that you had a PX-760A. Are you
getting this from the drive itself or from Device Manager? (I used to be part
of Plextor tech support and had customers think that Device Manager was
correct. this assumsion is incorrect). Best way to tell is if it in an
interal drive (and not attached to SATA) then it's an A. if it's external
then it's a PX-760UF. Reason I ask is the technical steps will vary on this
information.

Assuming it's internal (and not SATA), I would first remove the devices from
device manager. restart your computer. see what you get. if the issue still
occurs then check the cable. Make sure it is not a round ATA cable. This
causes major crosstalk issues and may cause problems with communication. If
you are using a flat ATA see if it's a 40 pin cable or an 80 pin cable. If
it's a 40 try using an 80 pin flat instead (the one the drive came with is a
80 pin flat). after switching the cable you may have to remove the devices
from device manager again for redetection. If that does not work I would try
the drive in another computer just to see if it works. doesn't hurt to
double-check. If it doesn't then call Plextor Tech Support. If it does then
you may want to run a selftest. The Selftest instructions are in the manual
that came with the drive. You MUST run the self test with recommended media.
check http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_760.htm for media
information. This is important as the test could fail with non-recommended
media when in fact the drive is working. The test is only programmed to run
with recommended media. If the drive ejects the drive is fine. if the drive
fails it will make a colored blink code on the front. if this happens call
Plextor tech support while the blink code is still occuring (they need this
information) and they will handle things from there.

If the drive is external (PX-760UF) then first check that the self test
switch is off (away from the arrow). if it's not turn the device off before
switching the self test off. If that doesn't work. remove the device from
device manager. restart, if that doesn't work. try another USB cable (the one
that came with it should be good). if that doesn't work try it from another
computer (just to be sure). if it works then you may want to reset your USB
controllers. Remove all devices from device manager under Universal serial
bus controllers. then restart the computer. check if the drive is working. if
still no go, run a self test using the same directions as above.

I hope this helps. If there is anything more I can do let me know but
further trouble-shooting should be done with Plextor support team. I am no
longer part of their support team so my information may be out of date.

"Swiss" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a “auto-update†my two DVD are not usable any more in my Vista
> Ultimate X64.
> Vista recognize my two DVD well… BUT a gives “error codes 39†and says to me
> that I have the last drivers.
>
> I can nothing any more make, I thought that it to étair ONLY the KB938979
> which posed the problem, but at the time of this last update (15 august 2007)
> I still lost my two DVD.
>
> Plextor DVDR PX-760A ATA Device
> Plextor DVD-ROM PX-130A ATA Device
>
> Helllllllllllllllp
>
> Sorry for my very bad english :-(
>
>
 

My Computer

C

Cal Bear '66

#3
Have you tried this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us


--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!


"Swiss" <Swiss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:01F8D3CF-99F6-4075-AC31-2535682C3F26@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> After a "auto-update" my two DVD are not usable any more in my Vista
> Ultimate X64.
> Vista recognize my two DVD well. BUT a gives "error codes 39" and says to me
> that I have the last drivers.
>
> I can nothing any more make, I thought that it to étair ONLY the KB938979
> which posed the problem, but at the time of this last update (15 august 2007)
> I still lost my two DVD.
>
> Plextor DVDR PX-760A ATA Device
> Plextor DVD-ROM PX-130A ATA Device
>
> Helllllllllllllllp
>
> Sorry for my very bad english :-(
>
>
 

My Computer

S

Swiss

#4
Re: Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x6

Thank you very much "Cal Bear '66" you found THE solution which functions at
home!!!

My vista64 sees my CDROM again

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :-)))
Stephane

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Have you tried this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us
>
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>
>
> "Swiss" <Swiss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:01F8D3CF-99F6-4075-AC31-2535682C3F26@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > After a "auto-update" my two DVD are not usable any more in my Vista
> > Ultimate X64.
> > Vista recognize my two DVD well. BUT a gives "error codes 39" and says to me
> > that I have the last drivers.
> >
> > I can nothing any more make, I thought that it to étair ONLY the KB938979
> > which posed the problem, but at the time of this last update (15 august 2007)
> > I still lost my two DVD.
> >
> > Plextor DVDR PX-760A ATA Device
> > Plextor DVD-ROM PX-130A ATA Device
> >
> > Helllllllllllllllp
> >
> > Sorry for my very bad english :-(
> >
> >

>
>
 

My Computer

C

Cal Bear '66

#5
Re: Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x6

You're very welcome.

Seems like a very, very common problem.

iTunes, Nero and Roxio seem to be the most common causes.

Microsoft should have a simple reg file download to delete these entries.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!


"Swiss" <Swiss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:72D94913-832F-4860-88DD-5B73095E0047@microsoft.com...
> Thank you very much "Cal Bear '66" you found THE solution which functions at
> home!!!
>
> My vista64 sees my CDROM again
>
> Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :-)))
> Stephane
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried this:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us
>>
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>
>>
>> "Swiss" <Swiss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:01F8D3CF-99F6-4075-AC31-2535682C3F26@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > After a "auto-update" my two DVD are not usable any more in my Vista
>> > Ultimate X64.
>> > Vista recognize my two DVD well. BUT a gives "error codes 39" and says to
>> > me
>> > that I have the last drivers.
>> >
>> > I can nothing any more make, I thought that it to étair ONLY the KB938979
>> > which posed the problem, but at the time of this last update (15 august
>> > 2007)
>> > I still lost my two DVD.
>> >
>> > Plextor DVDR PX-760A ATA Device
>> > Plextor DVD-ROM PX-130A ATA Device
>> >
>> > Helllllllllllllllp
>> >
>> > Sorry for my very bad english :-(
>> >
>> >

>>
>>
 

My Computer

S

Scoop0901

#6
On Aug 16, 9:18 pm, Quilnux <Quil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all, was the "auto-update" for thedrivesfirmware (from plextor's
> web site) or anupdateforwindows? May help if you can post theupdate
> number if it was aWindowsUpdate. You said that you had a PX-760A. Are you
> getting this from the drive itself or from Device Manager? (I used to be part
> of Plextor tech support and had customers think that Device Manager was
> correct. this assumsion is incorrect). Best way to tell is if it in an
> interal drive (and not attached to SATA) then it's an A. if it'sexternal
> then it's a PX-760UF. Reason I ask is the technical steps will vary on this
> information.
>


|| Snipped ||

> If the drive isexternal(PX-760UF) then first check that the self test
> switch is off (away from the arrow). if it's not turn the device off before
> switching the self test off. If that doesn't work. remove the device from
> device manager. restart, if that doesn't work. try anotherUSBcable (the one
> that came with it should be good). if that doesn't work try it from another
> computer (just to be sure). if it works then you may want to reset yourUSB
> controllers. Remove all devices from device manager under Universal serial
> bus controllers. then restart the computer. check if the drive is working. if
> still no go, run a self test using the same directions as above.



Actually, I can attest to the fact that something "funky" happened in
the updates released by MS from August 15 through August 17. I
rebooted this morning, August 19, and upon reboot, several things were
"updated" by MS.

After the reboot, one of my several external USB drives, a Maxtor
300gig drive, disappeared. To recover it, sadly, I had to use the
"Disk Management" tool in Computer Maintenance (%SystemRoot%
\system32\compmgmt.msc /s) -- and reformat it to make Vista recognize
the drive again. In doing so, obviously, I lost everything on the
drive. Fortunately, it is a redundant drive for backup storage, so
all was not lost. It ticks me off, though, because that could have had
critical backups of the hard drive, and whatever it is MS did in the
update to make quite a few devices "disappear," as I am sure happened
to at least several people -- all valid backups would have been lost.
 

My Computer

S

Scoop0901

#7
Re: Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x6

On Aug 18, 11:23 am, "Cal Bear '66" <x...@xxx.org> wrote:
> You're very welcome.
>
> Seems like a very, very common problem.
>
> iTunes, Nero and Roxio seem to be the most common causes.
>
> Microsoft should have a simple reg file download to delete these entries.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>
> "Swiss" <Sw...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> news:72D94913-832F-4860-88DD-5B73095E0047@microsoft.com...
>
>
>
> > Thank you very much "Cal Bear '66" you found THE solution which functions at
> > home!!!

>
> > My vista64 sees my CDROM again

>
> > Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :-)))
> > Stephane

>
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:

>
> >> Have you tried this:

>
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

>
> >> "Swiss" <Sw...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>news:01F8D3CF-99F6-4075-AC31-2535682C3F26@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hello,

>
> >> >Aftera "auto-update" my two DVD are not usable any more in my Vista
> >> > Ultimate X64.
> >> > Vista recognize my two DVD well. BUT a gives "error codes 39" and says to
> >> > me
> >> > that I have the last drivers.

>
> >> > I can nothing any more make, I thought that it to étair ONLY the KB938979
> >> > which posed the problem, but at the time of this lastupdate(15 august
> >> > 2007)
> >> > I still lost my two DVD.

>
> >> > Plextor DVDR PX-760A ATA Device
> >> > Plextor DVD-ROM PX-130A ATA Device

>
> >> > Helllllllllllllllp

>
> >> > Sorry for my very bad english :-(- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)