Power Options

kenhes

Hi. I'm trying to get my Power Options set up so that it will go into sleep after 15 minutes of activity all the time with the exception of something being downloaded.
If something is being downloaded, I want the computer to wait till it's finished and then 15 minutes after that, go to sleep.

However, I can't seem to get it to do it no matter what option I've tried. The computer will always sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity of both the mouse and keyboard.
The option I thought would do it is "Prevent Ideling to sleep" in the multimedia settings. But it doesn't. Constructive replies appreciated.

My Computer

You could enable Wake on LAN. Just lock you router and firewall down good to stop hackers.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I made some tests with a laptop with this configuration:
Browser Maxthon (IE7/8 based)
Power settings: Sleep 1 minute
Tested that the laptop sleeps after 1 minute: OK
Downloaded a 600 MB test file from Index of /
The download went well in 3 to 4 minutes, then transfer from temp to one partition, then the laptop went to sleep :)
So i guess that IE is preventing itself the computer to go to sleep mode while it is downloading a file.
Never tried FF, except one day for 1 hour and i deinstall it as i did not find any useful option for my own use, sorry.

My Computer

Aha! Thanks Sid!
I now know it's because Firefox is downloading. It works with IE for me too. Now whether it's a Vista or Firefox bug I don't know.

It's not a big enough deal breaker to change back to IE though (Firefox feels faster and safer.....ie it's less of a hacker target). I can use IE for downloading if I can't find the solution for Firefox.
Thanks again. It's good to know even if it doesn't get fixed.

My Computer

Vista controls the shut down and it's not recognising any other browser except IE because it's naturally more integrated. There may be workarounds though......or another lawsuit pending. :D

My Computer

Right, but IE or other M$oft programs are well integrated just because conceptors of the programs know perfectly how Vista works (they should), i have met so many conceptors of very known programs (i won't tell you about them:)) who just did not take time to learn the documents given by M$oft so their progs work like a charm in Vista......

My Computer

I haven't looked at any code so I don't know who is at fault for sure. It could be that no other browser is allowed to take advantage of the Power Options. Or it could be as you say. Toss a coin.

Then again, I feel the Firefox coders are fairly competent yet it could be something they overlooked. Maybe it'll be fixed in the next version after I let them know about it.

My Computer

Back