• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

print spooler service not running

T

Thomas M. McDonald

#1
I am trying to add printer and it doesn't matter if it is local or network.
When I click add printer I get an error box that says

Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not
running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.

At first I thought maybe the profile was bad but I am getting this message
on all of the logins on this machine. I am running RC2. Any ideas how to
correct this?
 

My Computer

D

Desaulniers Marc

#2
I have the same problem if you find something please let me know

Marc


"Thomas M. McDonald" <tmcdonald@satx.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:ubX8dx$BHHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I am trying to add printer and it doesn't matter if it is local or network.
>When I click add printer I get an error box that says
>
> Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not
> running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.
>
> At first I thought maybe the profile was bad but I am getting this message
> on all of the logins on this machine. I am running RC2. Any ideas how to
> correct this?
>
 

My Computer

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

#3
And what happens when you try to start the spooler service?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Desaulniers Marc" <madesaul1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2E83BDBB-EBEC-4C50-AD1A-81B5AF43519B@microsoft.com...
>I have the same problem if you find something please let me know
>
> Marc
>
>
> "Thomas M. McDonald" <tmcdonald@satx.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de
> news:ubX8dx$BHHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>I am trying to add printer and it doesn't matter if it is local or
>>network. When I click add printer I get an error box that says
>>
>> Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not
>> running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.
>>
>> At first I thought maybe the profile was bad but I am getting this
>> message on all of the logins on this machine. I am running RC2. Any ideas
>> how to correct this?
>>

>
 

My Computer

D

Desaulniers Marc

#4
It crash again when we try to add a printer... Same problem if I try to go
to Printer server setting with right click/Properties in the white space ...


"Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:uFVayTBEHHA.4312@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> And what happens when you try to start the spooler service?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Desaulniers Marc" <madesaul1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2E83BDBB-EBEC-4C50-AD1A-81B5AF43519B@microsoft.com...
>>I have the same problem if you find something please let me know
>>
>> Marc
>>
>>
>> "Thomas M. McDonald" <tmcdonald@satx.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> news:ubX8dx$BHHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>I am trying to add printer and it doesn't matter if it is local or
>>>network. When I click add printer I get an error box that says
>>>
>>> Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not
>>> running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.
>>>
>>> At first I thought maybe the profile was bad but I am getting this
>>> message on all of the logins on this machine. I am running RC2. Any
>>> ideas how to correct this?
>>>

>>

>
>
 

My Computer

C

Carl Kidwell

#5
I get the same issue. I'm running the latest business release and it
constantly crashes. I have it set up to automatically restart the service
in the event of and problems with it, but it will still crash over and over
again. Thank you

-Carl Kidwell


"Desaulniers Marc" <madesaul1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:DEC4387F-99B2-49B8-805C-D8172088E2BB@microsoft.com...
> It crash again when we try to add a printer... Same problem if I try to go
> to Printer server setting with right click/Properties in the white space
> ...
>
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> a écrit dans le message de
> news:uFVayTBEHHA.4312@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> And what happens when you try to start the spooler service?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "Desaulniers Marc" <madesaul1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:2E83BDBB-EBEC-4C50-AD1A-81B5AF43519B@microsoft.com...
>>>I have the same problem if you find something please let me know
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>
>>>
>>> "Thomas M. McDonald" <tmcdonald@satx.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de
>>> news:ubX8dx$BHHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>I am trying to add printer and it doesn't matter if it is local or
>>>>network. When I click add printer I get an error box that says
>>>>
>>>> Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not
>>>> running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.
>>>>
>>>> At first I thought maybe the profile was bad but I am getting this
>>>> message on all of the logins on this machine. I am running RC2. Any
>>>> ideas how to correct this?
>>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
 

My Computer

#6
Hi all, just wanted to add a 'me 2' except I successfully added all my
printers and a couple of days later I get the spooler service crash all the
time. Whats worse is if you try to uninstall the printers it immediately
crashes the spooler service and will not remove the printer.Sure you can
start the spool service long enough to maybe print one document, but keep
services.msc handy cause it will crash.




"Carl Kidwell" <ckidwell@bsbdesign.com> wrote in message
news:4A599D8E-B9A6-4557-9D82-E3A2B1F2EA11@microsoft.com...
>I get the same issue. I'm running the latest business release and it
>constantly crashes. I have it set up to automatically restart the service
>in the event of and problems with it, but it will still crash over and over
>again. Thank you
>
> -Carl Kidwell
>
>
> "Desaulniers Marc" <madesaul1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:DEC4387F-99B2-49B8-805C-D8172088E2BB@microsoft.com...
>> It crash again when we try to add a printer... Same problem if I try to
>> go to Printer server setting with right click/Properties in the white
>> space ...
>>
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> news:uFVayTBEHHA.4312@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> And what happens when you try to start the spooler service?
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
>>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>>
>>> "Desaulniers Marc" <madesaul1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:2E83BDBB-EBEC-4C50-AD1A-81B5AF43519B@microsoft.com...
>>>>I have the same problem if you find something please let me know
>>>>
>>>> Marc
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Thomas M. McDonald" <tmcdonald@satx.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de
>>>> news:ubX8dx$BHHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>>I am trying to add printer and it doesn't matter if it is local or
>>>>>network. When I click add printer I get an error box that says
>>>>>
>>>>> Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not
>>>>> running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.
>>>>>
>>>>> At first I thought maybe the profile was bad but I am getting this
>>>>> message on all of the logins on this machine. I am running RC2. Any
>>>>> ideas how to correct this?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>

>
 

My Computer

P
#9
Does anyone know how to fix this problem. I restart the print spooler and
still get the error message "Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print
spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the
machine. My printer is gone from the printers folder.

"gminorsymphony" wrote:

>
> Windows can't open add printer. The local print spooler service is not
> running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.
>
>
> --
> gminorsymphony
>
 

My Computer

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

#10
The spooler crashing is nearly always due to bad/corrupted printer drivers.

I'd disconnect any and all connected printers, and uninstall them.

Then download the new printer drivers from the manufacturers' website(s) and
install, only reconnecting the printer(s) when the software tells you to do
so.

http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

Do NOT leave out Step 4.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Paul" <Paul@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:884252C1-7367-4161-86C9-CBEACF43032D@xxxxxx

> Does anyone know how to fix this problem. I restart the print spooler and
> still get the error message "Windows can't open Add Printer. The local
> print
> spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the
> machine. My printer is gone from the printers folder.
>
> "gminorsymphony" wrote:
>

>>
>> Windows can't open add printer. The local print spooler service is not
>> running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.
>>
>>
>> --
>> gminorsymphony
>>
 

My Computer

Messages
1
#12
I've got the same spooler/no add printer problem and I'm following all the tips to solve it, without success so far. I've also run the Microsoft Mr Fix It FixPrintSpooler thing, no luck.
I've found some printer drivers that I want to delete under /windows/system32/... but when I try to delete the files I'm told that I don't have authorization to do that, despite being Admin. How do I give myself authorization?
thanks
Phil
 

My Computer

System One

  • Manufacturer/Model
    MSI Notebook VR705
    CPU
    Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 2.16Ghz
    Motherboard
    Laptop
    Memory
    2 Gb
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Widescreen laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    150 Gb
    Internet Speed
    ADSL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)