• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Public Folder v Sharing

R

Rat_uk

#1
If i put things in the public folder does it double the amount of files on
my PC?

eg. i copy all my music files to public 20gb then becomes 40gb of music or
does it simply point to the location of the music files?


i want to share with 2 other computers on the network but neither have an
account on the master computer. can i allow them access to shared folders if
they are not an account holder on the main computer?

steve.
 

My Computer

M

Mick Murphy

#2
They don't have to have a user account on the main computer. You are only
using a Local Area Network

But can't help without more info.

You don't say what OS the computers are running, Vista or Vista/XP combination

"Rat_uk" wrote:

> If i put things in the public folder does it double the amount of files on
> my PC?
>
> eg. i copy all my music files to public 20gb then becomes 40gb of music or
> does it simply point to the location of the music files?
>
>
> i want to share with 2 other computers on the network but neither have an
> account on the master computer. can i allow them access to shared folders if
> they are not an account holder on the main computer?
>
> steve.
>
>
>
>
>
>
 

My Computer

R

Rat_uk

#3
one is xp the others are vista
"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A39110F3-A70F-42AD-823D-F960DD69CA86@microsoft.com...
> They don't have to have a user account on the main computer. You are only
> using a Local Area Network
>
> But can't help without more info.
>
> You don't say what OS the computers are running, Vista or Vista/XP
> combination
>
> "Rat_uk" wrote:
>
>> If i put things in the public folder does it double the amount of files
>> on
>> my PC?
>>
>> eg. i copy all my music files to public 20gb then becomes 40gb of music
>> or
>> does it simply point to the location of the music files?
>>
>>
>> i want to share with 2 other computers on the network but neither have an
>> account on the master computer. can i allow them access to shared folders
>> if
>> they are not an account holder on the main computer?
>>
>> steve.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
 

My Computer

M

Mick Murphy

#4
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx

The above link is all about file and printer sharing in Vista; direct from
the horse's mouth, microsoft!

Hope it helps!

"Rat_uk" wrote:

> one is xp the others are vista
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A39110F3-A70F-42AD-823D-F960DD69CA86@microsoft.com...
> > They don't have to have a user account on the main computer. You are only
> > using a Local Area Network
> >
> > But can't help without more info.
> >
> > You don't say what OS the computers are running, Vista or Vista/XP
> > combination
> >
> > "Rat_uk" wrote:
> >
> >> If i put things in the public folder does it double the amount of files
> >> on
> >> my PC?
> >>
> >> eg. i copy all my music files to public 20gb then becomes 40gb of music
> >> or
> >> does it simply point to the location of the music files?
> >>
> >>
> >> i want to share with 2 other computers on the network but neither have an
> >> account on the master computer. can i allow them access to shared folders
> >> if
> >> they are not an account holder on the main computer?
> >>
> >> steve.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>
 

My Computer