• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Readyboost: NTFS, FAT or FAT32 ?

O

Olivier Marquet

#1
Can someone tell me whether I should use NTFS, FAT or FAT32 when formatting
my Readyboost USB drive?

Thanks in advance.
 

My Computer

B

Benjamin

#2
When I plug mine in, it windows says it recommends NTFS.

--
And somewhere at the bottom he fell into darkness. That much he knew. He had
fallen into darkness. And at the instant he knew, he ceased to know. Martin
Edin

"Olivier Marquet" <olivier.marquet@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:04154ED1-EF70-4BEC-809C-DE08AB228A94@microsoft.com...
> Can someone tell me whether I should use NTFS, FAT or FAT32 when
> formatting my Readyboost USB drive?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
 

My Computer

K

Ken Gardner

#3
"Olivier Marquet" <olivier.marquet@skynet.be> wrote:

> Can someone tell me whether I should use NTFS, FAT or FAT32 when
> formatting my Readyboost USB drive?


FAT32. I disagree with those who said NTFS. I read somewhere that FAT32
requires less disk reads and writes than NTFS, meaning that your flash drive
will last longer.

Ken
 

My Computer

G

Gazwad

#4
Ken Gardner <kesgardner@charter.net>, the wobbly-vagrant and jazzy
hip-hitter who likes merciless zipper surfing with moray eels, and whose
partner is a cab-moll with a nauseating hey nonny nonny, wrote in
<C881D02F-4FF4-4706-9A66-FA109220DC88@microsoft.com>:
> "Olivier Marquet" <olivier.marquet@skynet.be> wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me whether I should use NTFS, FAT or FAT32 when
>> formatting my Readyboost USB drive?

>
> FAT32. I disagree with those who said NTFS. I read somewhere that FAT32
> requires less disk reads and writes than NTFS, meaning that your flash
> drive will last longer.


LOL


--
For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down
in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived
it. There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which
are not thoughts, and to which as yet I have found it absolutely
impossible to adapt to language. These fancies arise in the soul, alas
how rarely. Only at epochs of most intense tranquillity, when the
bodily and mental health are in perfection. And at those weird points
of time, where the confines of the waking world blend with the world of
dreams. And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or seem,
is but a dream within a dream.
 

My Computer

B

Byron Hinson

#5
Yeah it is FAT 32 for ReadyBoost.

--
Byron Hinson
ActiveWin Windows Site: http://www.activewin.com
Photos: http://www.byronhinson.com


"Gazwad" <argos.staffed.by.twats@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7nclhx$6c0$q@slack-spined-mangos.net...
> Ken Gardner <kesgardner@charter.net>, the wobbly-vagrant and jazzy
> hip-hitter who likes merciless zipper surfing with moray eels, and whose
> partner is a cab-moll with a nauseating hey nonny nonny, wrote in
> <C881D02F-4FF4-4706-9A66-FA109220DC88@microsoft.com>:
>> "Olivier Marquet" <olivier.marquet@skynet.be> wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone tell me whether I should use NTFS, FAT or FAT32 when
>>> formatting my Readyboost USB drive?

>>
>> FAT32. I disagree with those who said NTFS. I read somewhere that FAT32
>> requires less disk reads and writes than NTFS, meaning that your flash
>> drive will last longer.

>
> LOL
>
>
> --
> For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down
> in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived
> it. There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which
> are not thoughts, and to which as yet I have found it absolutely
> impossible to adapt to language. These fancies arise in the soul, alas
> how rarely. Only at epochs of most intense tranquillity, when the
> bodily and mental health are in perfection. And at those weird points
> of time, where the confines of the waking world blend with the world of
> dreams. And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or seem,
> is but a dream within a dream.
>
 

My Computer

M

Michal Kawecki

#6
"Gazwad" <argos.staffed.by.twats@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7nclhx$6c0$q@slack-spined-mangos.net...
> Ken Gardner <kesgardner@charter.net>, the wobbly-vagrant and jazzy
> hip-hitter who likes merciless zipper surfing with moray eels, and
> whose
> partner is a cab-moll with a nauseating hey nonny nonny, wrote in
> <C881D02F-4FF4-4706-9A66-FA109220DC88@microsoft.com>:
>> "Olivier Marquet" <olivier.marquet@skynet.be> wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone tell me whether I should use NTFS, FAT or FAT32 when
>>> formatting my Readyboost USB drive?

>>
>> FAT32. I disagree with those who said NTFS. I read somewhere that
>> FAT32
>> requires less disk reads and writes than NTFS, meaning that your
>> flash
>> drive will last longer.

>
> LOL



http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html
http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/techtalk/newposts/423/topic423591.shtm
--
Michal Kawecki [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
Warsaw, PL
 

My Computer

C

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

#7
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:38:45 -0600, "Robert Firth"

>NTFS


It prolly doesn't matter that much, as you'd get 4k clusters with NTFS
or FAT32, and I suspect the process creates the file once and from
then on works within it, ignoring file system and directory mechanics.



>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!
>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
 

My Computer

R

Robert Firth

#8
NTFS

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *
* Windows Vista x86 RTM *
* http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

"Olivier Marquet" <olivier.marquet@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:04154ED1-EF70-4BEC-809C-DE08AB228A94@microsoft.com...
> Can someone tell me whether I should use NTFS, FAT or FAT32 when
> formatting my Readyboost USB drive?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
 

My Computer

K

Ken Gardner

#9
"Michal Kawecki" <kkwinto@o2.pl> wrote:

>>> FAT32. I disagree with those who said NTFS. I read somewhere that
>>> FAT32 requires less disk reads and writes than NTFS, meaning that your
>>> flash drive will last longer.


[...]

> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html
> http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/techtalk/newposts/423/topic423591.shtm


I didn't find those specific sites, but I found others like it. But doesn't
Vista encrypt the contents of the ReadyBoost cache? If so, isn't NTFS
better suited for it despite the shorter shelf life? [Note: not that I am
going to change to NTFS solely for this reason -- the ability to encrypt the
cache file alone is not enough reason for me to switch the flash drive to
NTFS.]

Ken
 

My Computer

M

Michal Kawecki

#10
"Ken Gardner" <kesgardner@charter.net> wrote in message
news:C4783BE4-3550-4BEF-B688-AB4CE671AAE2@microsoft.com...
> "Michal Kawecki" <kkwinto@o2.pl> wrote:
>
>>>> FAT32. I disagree with those who said NTFS. I read somewhere that
>>>> FAT32 requires less disk reads and writes than NTFS, meaning that
>>>> your flash drive will last longer.

>
> [...]
>
>> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html
>> http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/techtalk/newposts/423/topic423591.shtm

>
> I didn't find those specific sites, but I found others like it. But
> doesn't Vista encrypt the contents of the ReadyBoost cache?


It will be encrypted also on FAT32.

> If so, isn't NTFS better suited for it despite the shorter shelf life?
> [Note: not that I am going to change to NTFS solely for this reason --
> the ability to encrypt the cache file alone is not enough reason for
> me to switch the flash drive to NTFS.]


If a wear-levelling mechanism is poorly implemented then flash memory
will be quickly wear-out, because NTFS make write operations even when
you only read files. But I think in case of ReadyBoost pagefile it's not
very important; it's a single file only, and it's accessed by system
differently than normal files (by direct addressing 4 kB chunks).

P.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_levelling
--
Michal Kawecki [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
Warsaw, PL
 

My Computer

C

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

#11
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:30:05 +0100, "Michal Kawecki" <kkwinto@o2.pl>

>If a wear-levelling mechanism is poorly implemented then flash memory
>will be quickly wear-out, because NTFS make write operations even when
>you only read files. But I think in case of ReadyBoost pagefile it's not
>very important; it's a single file only, and it's accessed by system
>differently than normal files (by direct addressing 4 kB chunks).


I can't see how wear-levelling can work when the entire capacity of
the device is in use...



>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!
>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
 

My Computer

D

DevilsPGD

#12
In message <dldkt2tjimbnaasdem6hv9ujb5gikg882u@4ax.com> "cquirke (MVP
Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:30:05 +0100, "Michal Kawecki" <kkwinto@o2.pl>
>
>>If a wear-levelling mechanism is poorly implemented then flash memory
>>will be quickly wear-out, because NTFS make write operations even when
>>you only read files. But I think in case of ReadyBoost pagefile it's not
>>very important; it's a single file only, and it's accessed by system
>>differently than normal files (by direct addressing 4 kB chunks).

>
>I can't see how wear-levelling can work when the entire capacity of
>the device is in use...


If specific portions of the drive are written repeatedly whenever ANY
portion of the drive is written (for example, if the last-accessed date
is written over and over) you may run into problems.
--
Insert something clever here.
 

My Computer

M

Michal Kawecki

#13
"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
in message news:dldkt2tjimbnaasdem6hv9ujb5gikg882u@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:30:05 +0100, "Michal Kawecki" <kkwinto@o2.pl>
>
>>If a wear-levelling mechanism is poorly implemented then flash memory
>>will be quickly wear-out, because NTFS make write operations even when
>>you only read files. But I think in case of ReadyBoost pagefile it's
>>not
>>very important; it's a single file only, and it's accessed by system
>>differently than normal files (by direct addressing 4 kB chunks).

>
> I can't see how wear-levelling can work when the entire capacity of
> the device is in use...



On my 1,90 GB pendrive Vista created 1,79 GB pagefile only, so there is
plenty space for wear-levelling and spare sectors.
--
Michal Kawecki [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
Warsaw, PL
 

My Computer

chuckbam

New Member
Messages
78
#14
So what is faster? NTFS or FAT32. So what about flash drive life. And what about allocation size. I search the net and all I can find is info about flash drive life. I don't find that important. I don't need the drive to last 10+ years. By then it will be obsolete.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)