• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Reduce Physical Memory Use

S

summaawilum

#1
When I boot up the computer and only open IE 7, my memory usage runs at
around 930 MB, and I would like to reduce it.

How do I make it so that every little gadget and small program affliated
with windows doesn't automatically open when I boot up the computer?

Note: I already opened up Defender and reduced the startup programs to a
minimum. I am running the 64-bit version with a clean setup and very few
installed prorgrams (Word, Symantec) on a Core 2 (2.0 ghz) laptop and 2 gig's
of ram.
 

My Computer

P

PaulB

#2
Hi,
VISTA memory manangement is different than XP. It tries to utilize all the
memory you have to set up things for faster operation. This does not mean you
will run out of memory as long as you have the recommended amount. It is
suppose to be very efficient in it's memory management. Think about it, if
you have memory installed that you never use what did you spend your money
for.
--
Paul


"summaawilum" wrote:

> When I boot up the computer and only open IE 7, my memory usage runs at
> around 930 MB, and I would like to reduce it.
>
> How do I make it so that every little gadget and small program affliated
> with windows doesn't automatically open when I boot up the computer?
>
> Note: I already opened up Defender and reduced the startup programs to a
> minimum. I am running the 64-bit version with a clean setup and very few
> installed prorgrams (Word, Symantec) on a Core 2 (2.0 ghz) laptop and 2 gig's
> of ram.
 

My Computer

S

Stooovie

#3
Yes, memory is there to be filled. It's useless if it isn't. Try to open
more RAM-hungry apps and notice used memory will not rise dramatically. THis
is very different to XP, which always tries to free up memory, which only
results in disk thrashing and endless swapping. Vista caches (preallocates)
available memory for future use.

"PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4476552F-3530-400E-BAD7-1AF59F73877E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> VISTA memory manangement is different than XP. It tries to utilize all the
> memory you have to set up things for faster operation. This does not mean
> you
> will run out of memory as long as you have the recommended amount. It is
> suppose to be very efficient in it's memory management. Think about it, if
> you have memory installed that you never use what did you spend your money
> for.
> --
> Paul
>
>
> "summaawilum" wrote:
>
>> When I boot up the computer and only open IE 7, my memory usage runs at
>> around 930 MB, and I would like to reduce it.
>>
>> How do I make it so that every little gadget and small program affliated
>> with windows doesn't automatically open when I boot up the computer?
>>
>> Note: I already opened up Defender and reduced the startup programs to a
>> minimum. I am running the 64-bit version with a clean setup and very few
>> installed prorgrams (Word, Symantec) on a Core 2 (2.0 ghz) laptop and 2
>> gig's
>> of ram.
 

My Computer

G

Gene Fitz

#4
Indeed, Vista requires more resources, but uses them amazingly more
efficiently. Also, note that it will not always be like that either. After
first load, and for a while afterwards, depending on how much you have, Index
will be running. After a while, it slows down. You will also notice that your
hard drive seems to be running constantly. That will calm after a while as
well.
It may not click yet, but this is one of the advancements of Vista. the
indexing tool makes programs and files accessible faster and better. Just let
it do it's thing.

Hope this helps :-)

"Stooovie" wrote:

> Yes, memory is there to be filled. It's useless if it isn't. Try to open
> more RAM-hungry apps and notice used memory will not rise dramatically. THis
> is very different to XP, which always tries to free up memory, which only
> results in disk thrashing and endless swapping. Vista caches (preallocates)
> available memory for future use.
>
> "PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4476552F-3530-400E-BAD7-1AF59F73877E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > VISTA memory manangement is different than XP. It tries to utilize all the
> > memory you have to set up things for faster operation. This does not mean
> > you
> > will run out of memory as long as you have the recommended amount. It is
> > suppose to be very efficient in it's memory management. Think about it, if
> > you have memory installed that you never use what did you spend your money
> > for.
> > --
> > Paul
> >
> >
> > "summaawilum" wrote:
> >
> >> When I boot up the computer and only open IE 7, my memory usage runs at
> >> around 930 MB, and I would like to reduce it.
> >>
> >> How do I make it so that every little gadget and small program affliated
> >> with windows doesn't automatically open when I boot up the computer?
> >>
> >> Note: I already opened up Defender and reduced the startup programs to a
> >> minimum. I am running the 64-bit version with a clean setup and very few
> >> installed prorgrams (Word, Symantec) on a Core 2 (2.0 ghz) laptop and 2
> >> gig's
> >> of ram.

>
>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)