• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Registry Leak???

L

LoneStar

#1
Long story, short: What does this cryptic Windows Vista message mean in the
Events warning log:

"1 user registry handles leaked from
\registry\user\s-1-5-21-3814799448-4025391345-1001_classes" (The actual
info, data, past the \user\..... tab is not relevant for now.

What is a registry handle leak? I get this after bootup, occasionally, then
several items will not open from the desktop (Control Panel, Windows Update,
etc). A reboot or System restore corrects this. I ran a RAM diagnostic and
all is well.

Comments? Thanks.

EW
 
R

Rick Rogers

#2
Hi,

Can't say that I've seen that error before. If I had to guess, I'd lean
towards a corruption of the logged on user account. Does this error occur
for any user that logs on, or just one account? I would consider setting up
a new account for regular use and remove the problematic one.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
news:46538227$0$97258$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net...
> Long story, short: What does this cryptic Windows Vista message mean in
> the Events warning log:
>
> "1 user registry handles leaked from
> \registry\user\s-1-5-21-3814799448-4025391345-1001_classes" (The actual
> info, data, past the \user\..... tab is not relevant for now.
>
> What is a registry handle leak? I get this after bootup, occasionally,
> then several items will not open from the desktop (Control Panel, Windows
> Update, etc). A reboot or System restore corrects this. I ran a RAM
> diagnostic and all is well.
>
> Comments? Thanks.
>
> EW
>
>
 
D

dean-dean

#3
This message can be caused by any number of things. Essentially what it
means is that System tried to unload the profile, but some app or system
component still has keys open in the user's registry, so it can't unload.

One thing to check on in Services (in Computer Management) is that the User
Profile Service is set to Automatic.

"LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
news:46538227$0$97258$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net...
> Long story, short: What does this cryptic Windows Vista message mean in
> the Events warning log:
>
> "1 user registry handles leaked from
> \registry\user\s-1-5-21-3814799448-4025391345-1001_classes" (The actual
> info, data, past the \user\..... tab is not relevant for now.
>
> What is a registry handle leak? I get this after bootup, occasionally,
> then several items will not open from the desktop (Control Panel, Windows
> Update, etc). A reboot or System restore corrects this. I ran a RAM
> diagnostic and all is well.
>
> Comments? Thanks.
>
> EW
>
>
 
L

LoneStar

#4
"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:eXDz$UVnHHA.4132@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> This message can be caused by any number of things. Essentially what it
> means is that System tried to unload the profile, but some app or system
> component still has keys open in the user's registry, so it can't unload.
>
> One thing to check on in Services (in Computer Management) is that the
> User Profile Service is set to Automatic.
>


Thanks for the info. My User Profile Service is set to auto. I'm the only
user on the system also. But, for now, no worries. This happens
infrequently (today the system booted up just fine with no Event warnings or
errors). But it's so strange that it has happened, and will probably happen
again right after bootup, before I do anything!

I may write again if I can track this error down to a specific process,
etc., later! CU

EW
 
L

LoneStar

#5
"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:OMSUmSSnHHA.5052@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Can't say that I've seen that error before. If I had to guess, I'd lean
> towards a corruption of the logged on user account. Does this error occur
> for any user that logs on, or just one account? I would consider setting
> up a new account for regular use and remove the problematic one.
>


I'll keep your suggestion in mind -- the corrupted User account -- and
there's only one acct in use, ever. However, since this is an intermittent
problem that occurs infrequently, I tend to shy away from a hard corruption
scenario. Who knows! Thanks.

EW