• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Reset Sidebar

C

Chris

#1
Hi: I'm not sure where else to post this, and I've searched around
for it.

Basically, I had to restart Vista, when it started back up it did a
consistency check on the C drive.


Then, once I got into Vista, one of my two notes and the clock
vanished. I cannot get them back.


1)Clock does not show on Add Gadgets, but there is a Clock.Gadget in
"C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets"

2)Also, under the Windows Sidebar Properties
a) "Restore gadgets installed with Windows" is disabled
b) "View list of running gadgets" shows me two instances of Notes,
when only one is visible -- and I don't want to remove it because I
don't want to lose the content there.


How do I give the Sidebar a kick to bring it back to reality?
 

My Computer

C

Chris

#2
On Apr 16, 1:10 am, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi:  I'm not sure where else to post this, and I've searched around
> for it.
>
> Basically, I had to restart Vista, when it started back up it did a
> consistency check on the C drive.
>
> Then, once I got into Vista, one of my two notes and the clock
> vanished.  I cannot get them back.
>
> 1)Clock does not show on Add Gadgets, but there is a Clock.Gadget in
> "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets"
>
> 2)Also, under the Windows Sidebar Properties
> a) "Restore gadgets installed with Windows" is disabled
> b) "View list of running gadgets" shows me two instances of Notes,
> when only one is visible -- and I don't want to remove it because I
> don't want to lose the content there.
>
> How do I give the Sidebar a kick to bring it back to reality?
Can someone help me at all? I have been able to remove and restore
other Vista installed gadgets. Just not the clock. I don't know
where it went, I don't know why it thinks the clock is hunky dory but
can't be readded. This is so incredibly frustrating.
 

My Computer

G

Gene E. Bloch

#3
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:52:01 -0700 (PDT), Chris wrote:

> On Apr 16, 1:10 am, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Hi:  I'm not sure where else to post this, and I've searched around
>> for it.
>>
>> Basically, I had to restart Vista, when it started back up it did a
>> consistency check on the C drive.
>>
>> Then, once I got into Vista, one of my two notes and the clock
>> vanished.  I cannot get them back.
>>
>> 1)Clock does not show on Add Gadgets, but there is a Clock.Gadget in
>> "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets"
>>
>> 2)Also, under the Windows Sidebar Properties
>> a) "Restore gadgets installed with Windows" is disabled
>> b) "View list of running gadgets" shows me two instances of Notes,
>> when only one is visible -- and I don't want to remove it because I
>> don't want to lose the content there.
>>
>> How do I give the Sidebar a kick to bring it back to reality?
>
> Can someone help me at all? I have been able to remove and restore
> other Vista installed gadgets. Just not the clock. I don't know
> where it went, I don't know why it thinks the clock is hunky dory but
> can't be readded. This is so incredibly frustrating.
I had some problems with installing gadgets on another computer. I had an
idea that a .gadget file is really a zip file, so I renamed x.gadget to
x.zip (for two or three gadgets "x"). It worked and I could extract
everything to a convenient folder. I ran the installer that I found inside
that folder and got the gadget to install.

There are two things about the above:

1. I have no idea if it will lead to a useful solution for you :-(

2. I have completely forgotten the details of what I did (even which
gadgets).

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
 

My Computer

G

Gene E. Bloch

#4
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:46:00 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:52:01 -0700 (PDT), Chris wrote:
>

>> On Apr 16, 1:10 am, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Hi:  I'm not sure where else to post this, and I've searched around
>>> for it.
>>>
>>> Basically, I had to restart Vista, when it started back up it did a
>>> consistency check on the C drive.
>>>
>>> Then, once I got into Vista, one of my two notes and the clock
>>> vanished.  I cannot get them back.
>>>
>>> 1)Clock does not show on Add Gadgets, but there is a Clock.Gadget in
>>> "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets"
>>>
>>> 2)Also, under the Windows Sidebar Properties
>>> a) "Restore gadgets installed with Windows" is disabled
>>> b) "View list of running gadgets" shows me two instances of Notes,
>>> when only one is visible -- and I don't want to remove it because I
>>> don't want to lose the content there.
>>>
>>> How do I give the Sidebar a kick to bring it back to reality?
>>
>> Can someone help me at all? I have been able to remove and restore
>> other Vista installed gadgets. Just not the clock. I don't know
>> where it went, I don't know why it thinks the clock is hunky dory but
>> can't be readded. This is so incredibly frustrating.
>
> I had some problems with installing gadgets on another computer. I had an
> idea that a .gadget file is really a zip file, so I renamed x.gadget to
> x.zip (for two or three gadgets "x"). It worked and I could extract
> everything to a convenient folder. I ran the installer that I found inside
> that folder and got the gadget to install.
>
> There are two things about the above:
>
> 1. I have no idea if it will lead to a useful solution for you :-(
>
> 2. I have completely forgotten the details of what I did (even which
> gadgets).
3. Maybe I'm wrong :-)

Later yesterday I tried to install a new gadget on my sidebar (on a
laptop). It wouldn't install, and moreover, when I changed the file to a
..zip, Windows wouldn't open it, claiming an invalid ZIP file.

I tried the trick on one or two other gadget files and they *did* work.

So forget my advice...or not :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
 

My Computer

ON Canada

Posts
49
#5
Maybe will help, maybe not, try this

Right-click on Windows Sidebar in the notification area (system tray).
Select Properties -> "Restore gadgets installed with Windows"

Good Luck :geek:

mopar
 

My Computer

System One

  • Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion a6009n Desk Top
    CPU
    Athlon 64 X2 (W) 3800+ 2.0 GHz
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer: Asus Name: M2N68-LA
    Memory
    3 GB 4 x 1 GB 32-bit OS
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated graphics
    Sound Card
    RealTek High Definition 7.1 audio ALC 888 chipset
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flatron L192WS
    Hard Drives
    250 GB Sata 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

    500 GB Iomega USB External
    Mouse
    PS/2 Mouse
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Other Info
    SP2
G

Gene E. Bloch

#6
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:15:14 -0500, mopar wrote:

> Maybe will help, maybe not, try this
>
> Right-click on Windows Sidebar in the notification area (system tray).
> Select Properties -> "Restore gadgets installed with Windows"
>
> Good Luck :geek:
>
> mopar
Already did that. No joy.

I had installed the same gadget successfully on another computer, so I
copied that file to the problem computer and it worked.

Perhaps the file on the website was messed up by yesterday, whereas my
earlier download on computer #2 was OK. Or perhaps something is messed up
on computer #1 that corrupted the download.

Here's a WAG: I'll never know :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
 

My Computer