• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Restore disk full

M

Mick Murphy

#2
The Recovery partirion will be full; that is how it is supposed to be.
It is a factory install of a recovery partition; leave it alone!

It is there for you to either hit an F Key at startup to reinstall, or for
you to make Recovery DVDs in case your HD completely fails.

If you are trying to do a backup of your system(business and ultimate only),
either create another partition to save it to, orsave it to an external HD.

Next time, try putting a few facts here!!!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"grik" wrote:

> I need to make room for my hp recovery so that I can make a back up. the disc
> is full and I dont know what to do
 

My Computer

#3
You should not copy or backup anything to the recovery partition (usually
the D drive). The documentation that came with your PC will show you how to
make recovery disks.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"grik" <grik@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:D32E63BF-D1E4-4A2D-83FA-7446A560F23C@xxxxxx

>I need to make room for my hp recovery so that I can make a back up. the
>disc
> is full and I dont know what to do
 

My Computer

J

Joyce

#4
"davidjchuang" wrote:

>
> grik;650827 Wrote:

> > I need to make room for my hp recovery so that I can make a back up. the
> > disc
> > is full and I dont know what to do
>
> In order to get more space , " compress " your disk. In my OS ( home
> premium ), I'll click Computer > highlight recovery disk, right click >
> Properties > Compress. Hope that helps.
>
>
> --
> davidjchuang
>
 

My Computer

N

nnurse52

#5
"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> The Recovery partirion will be full; that is how it is supposed to be.
> It is a factory install of a recovery partition; leave it alone!
>
> It is there for you to either hit an F Key at startup to reinstall, or for
> you to make Recovery DVDs in case your HD completely fails.
>
> If you are trying to do a backup of your system(business and ultimate only),
> either create another partition to save it to, orsave it to an external HD.
>
> Next time, try putting a few facts here!!!!!!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
>
> "grik" wrote:
>

> > I need to make room for my hp recovery so that I can make a back up. the disc
> > is full and I dont know what to do
 

My Computer

N

nnurse52

#6
"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> The Recovery partirion will be full; that is how it is supposed to be.
> It is a factory install of a recovery partition; leave it alone!
>
> It is there for you to either hit an F Key at startup to reinstall, or for
> you to make Recovery DVDs in case your HD completely fails.
>
> If you are trying to do a backup of your system(business and ultimate only),
> either create another partition to save it to, orsave it to an external HD.
>
> Next time, try putting a few facts here!!!!!!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
>
> "grik" wrote:
>

> > I need to make room for my hp recovery so that I can make a back up. the disc
> > is full and I dont know what to do
 

My Computer

N

nnurse52

#7
I'm having the same problem as Joyce. I've already done the compression,
emptied my trash and deleted as much stuff as I could, which I found out
doesn't make a difference. I also want to make a back disc(s) and it say not
enough room to make a shadow copy. I've had to do restore files (to a better
day) a few times because of the computer not working right, would that affect
the restore disk as far as filling it up?

"Joyce" wrote:

>
>
> "davidjchuang" wrote:
>

> >
> > grik;650827 Wrote:

> > > I need to make room for my hp recovery so that I can make a back up. the
> > > disc
> > > is full and I dont know what to do
> >
> > In order to get more space , " compress " your disk. In my OS ( home
> > premium ), I'll click Computer > highlight recovery disk, right click >
> > Properties > Compress. Hope that helps.
> >
> >
> > --
> > davidjchuang
> >
 

My Computer

davidjchuang

Member
Power User
Messages
202
#8
I'm having the same problem as Joyce. I've already done the compression,
emptied my trash and deleted as much stuff as I could, which I found out
doesn't make a difference. I also want to make a back disc(s) and it say not
enough room to make a shadow copy. I've had to do restore files (to a better
day) a few times because of the computer not working right, would that affect
the restore disk as far as filling it up?

"Joyce" wrote:
>
>
> "davidjchuang" wrote:
>

Please, please listen to Bob and Mick. Do not "touch" the restore disk drive anymore than you already had. Get yourself an external hard drive and do your files backup there. External hard drive can be had for less than $100 ( if you're in U.S., I'm from Canada , it would cost me more.)If you need recommendations, post the question and you'll have all the excellent replies. Thank you.
 

My Computer

N

nnurse52

#9
Thank you for the replies. I haven't done anything to the D disk except the
compression. There was nothing extra to delete when I opened it. But, I
don't understand why I'm getting the message that it's full and also why I
can't perform a back up without getting the message that it's unable to make
a shadow copy due to the the disc not having enough space. Do I just ignore
the message that the D disk is full? Why has it gone from being 60% full to
just having 70MB remaining?

"nnurse52" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem as Joyce. I've already done the compression,
> emptied my trash and deleted as much stuff as I could, which I found out
> doesn't make a difference. I also want to make a back disc(s) and it say not
> enough room to make a shadow copy. I've had to do restore files (to a better
> day) a few times because of the computer not working right, would that affect
> the restore disk as far as filling it up?
>
> "Joyce" wrote:
>

> >
> >
> > "davidjchuang" wrote:
> >

> > >
> > > grik;650827 Wrote:
> > > > I need to make room for my hp recovery so that I can make a back up. the
> > > > disc
> > > > is full and I dont know what to do
> > >
> > > In order to get more space , " compress " your disk. In my OS ( home
> > > premium ), I'll click Computer > highlight recovery disk, right click >
> > > Properties > Compress. Hope that helps.
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > davidjchuang
> > >
 

My Computer

davidjchuang

Member
Power User
Messages
202
#10
Thank you for the replies. I haven't done anything to the D disk except the
compression. There was nothing extra to delete when I opened it. But, I
don't understand why I'm getting the message that it's full and also why I
can't perform a back up without getting the message that it's unable to make
a shadow copy due to the the disc not having enough space. Do I just ignore
the message that the D disk is full? Why has it gone from being 60% full to
just having 70MB remaining?

"nnurse52" wrote:
> I'm having the same problem as Joyce. I've already done the compression,
> emptied my trash and deleted as much stuff as I could, which I found out
> doesn't make a difference. I also want to make a back disc(s) and it say not
> enough room to make a shadow copy. I've had to do restore files (to a better
> day) a few times because of the computer not working right, would that affect
> the restore disk as far as filling it up?
>
> "Joyce" wrote:
>
I'll repeat what I said to Joyce. Listen to Bob and Mick. They are the experts. Do not touch the recovery drive. Get an external hard drive and do your files backup to it. Just leave the recovery drive alone. Don't worry about "disk full", it's aok. Thank you.
 

My Computer

M

miss-information

#11
"Have you not read ANY of the messages...?" That's the problem. The op
followed the suggestions given by 'davidjchuang'.
m


"Gordon" <gbplinux@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ftht9d$gqg$1@xxxxxx

> "nnurse52" <nnurse52@xxxxxx> wrote in message

>> Thank you for the replies. I haven't done anything to the D disk except
>> the
>> compression. There was nothing extra to delete when I opened it. But, I
>> don't understand why I'm getting the message that it's full and also why
>> I
>> can't perform a back up without getting the message that it's unable to
>> make
>> a shadow copy due to the the disc not having enough space.
>
> Have you not read ANY of the messages in this thread? If the D drive is
> the Recovery Partition that came with the computer, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!
> It is NOT MEANT TO BE USED other than when you use the Recovery CD that
> was supplied by your computer's manufacturer.
 

My Computer

C

Charles W Davis

#12
"Gordon" <gbplinux@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ftht9d$gqg$1@xxxxxx

> "nnurse52" <nnurse52@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:59DA05A0-B213-4987-A0ED-85127392C803@xxxxxx

>> Thank you for the replies. I haven't done anything to the D disk except
>> the
>> compression. There was nothing extra to delete when I opened it. But, I
>> don't understand why I'm getting the message that it's full and also why
>> I
>> can't perform a back up without getting the message that it's unable to
>> make
>> a shadow copy due to the the disc not having enough space.
>
> Have you not read ANY of the messages in this thread? If the D drive is
> the Recovery Partition that came with the computer, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!
> It is NOT MEANT TO BE USED other than when you use the Recovery CD that
> was supplied by your computer's manufacturer.
Gordon, the D drive Recovery Partition contains a file that is used to
create recovery CDs (up to 16) or DVDs (up to 3). The manufacturer did not
provide them. They are for the user to create. Do so before they are needed.
 

My Computer

C

Chris

#13
"Charles W Davis" wrote:

>
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:ftht9d$gqg$1@xxxxxx

> > "nnurse52" <nnurse52@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> > news:59DA05A0-B213-4987-A0ED-85127392C803@xxxxxx

> >> Thank you for the replies. I haven't done anything to the D disk except
> >> the
> >> compression. There was nothing extra to delete when I opened it. But, I
> >> don't understand why I'm getting the message that it's full and also why
> >> I
> >> can't perform a back up without getting the message that it's unable to
> >> make
> >> a shadow copy due to the the disc not having enough space.
> >
> > Have you not read ANY of the messages in this thread? If the D drive is
> > the Recovery Partition that came with the computer, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!
> > It is NOT MEANT TO BE USED other than when you use the Recovery CD that
> > was supplied by your computer's manufacturer.
> Gordon, the D drive Recovery Partition contains a file that is used to
> create recovery CDs (up to 16) or DVDs (up to 3). The manufacturer did not
> provide them. They are for the user to create. Do so before they are needed.
>
 

My Computer

C

Chris

#14
I've had the same problem since I bought this computer from dell when vista
first came out. This has been a total nightmare and I can't wait until this
computer dies so I can go to a MAC. My RECOVERY (C) drive states that it's
full and my computer keeps telling me to clear files which I have nothing to
clear. My (D) drive has tons of space. Is there a way of moving everything
from the (C) drive to the (D) drive? Also, why when I save things can't I
save it to the (D) drive where I have the space?

"Charles W Davis" wrote:

>
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:ftht9d$gqg$1@xxxxxx

> > "nnurse52" <nnurse52@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> > news:59DA05A0-B213-4987-A0ED-85127392C803@xxxxxx

> >> Thank you for the replies. I haven't done anything to the D disk except
> >> the
> >> compression. There was nothing extra to delete when I opened it. But, I
> >> don't understand why I'm getting the message that it's full and also why
> >> I
> >> can't perform a back up without getting the message that it's unable to
> >> make
> >> a shadow copy due to the the disc not having enough space.
> >
> > Have you not read ANY of the messages in this thread? If the D drive is
> > the Recovery Partition that came with the computer, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!
> > It is NOT MEANT TO BE USED other than when you use the Recovery CD that
> > was supplied by your computer's manufacturer.
> Gordon, the D drive Recovery Partition contains a file that is used to
> create recovery CDs (up to 16) or DVDs (up to 3). The manufacturer did not
> provide them. They are for the user to create. Do so before they are needed.
>
 

My Computer

N

nnurse52

#15
I wrote earlier this month about this problem, and didn't get any real help,
except for the gentleman that told me that back ups need to be done on the D
disk. Actually Gateway resolved the issue for me. One side is the restore
partition and is "guarded", there is additional operational information and
then through no fault of mine, some extra info was on there. Gateway has a
whole tutorial how to resolve the full D disk. It's always the same file
that needs to be deleted, for example JohnSmith-pc, I found that with my name
on it, deleted, finished the nec steps, restarted my computer and my D disk
was less than half full, turned back to a blue strip indicating how full it
was instead of the red one that indicated it was full. Now I can do back
ups, without getting the message "not enough room to create Shadow copy",
I'm not getting the message to delete unnecessary files and folders to make
more room on D Disk and all around I have better performance and even the
BSODs seem to have been resolved. I hope that I have accurately described
this remedy, I don't know if only Gateway has this tutorial or not. I felt
like I was yelled at by a tech last time I posted on here and I'm probably
posting in the incorrect area. I hope this helps someone as I keep seeing
this issue being brought up over and over with the same type of responses I
received.

"Chris" wrote:

> I've had the same problem since I bought this computer from dell when vista
> first came out. This has been a total nightmare and I can't wait until this
> computer dies so I can go to a MAC. My RECOVERY (C) drive states that it's
> full and my computer keeps telling me to clear files which I have nothing to
> clear. My (D) drive has tons of space. Is there a way of moving everything
> from the (C) drive to the (D) drive? Also, why when I save things can't I
> save it to the (D) drive where I have the space?
>
> "Charles W Davis" wrote:
>

> >
> > "Gordon" <gbplinux@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> > news:ftht9d$gqg$1@xxxxxx

> > > "nnurse52" <nnurse52@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > news:59DA05A0-B213-4987-A0ED-85127392C803@xxxxxx
> > >> Thank you for the replies. I haven't done anything to the D disk except
> > >> the
> > >> compression. There was nothing extra to delete when I opened it. But, I
> > >> don't understand why I'm getting the message that it's full and also why
> > >> I
> > >> can't perform a back up without getting the message that it's unable to
> > >> make
> > >> a shadow copy due to the the disc not having enough space.
> > >
> > > Have you not read ANY of the messages in this thread? If the D drive is
> > > the Recovery Partition that came with the computer, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!
> > > It is NOT MEANT TO BE USED other than when you use the Recovery CD that
> > > was supplied by your computer's manufacturer.
> > Gordon, the D drive Recovery Partition contains a file that is used to
> > create recovery CDs (up to 16) or DVDs (up to 3). The manufacturer did not
> > provide them. They are for the user to create. Do so before they are needed.
> >
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)