• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Router access (running Vista)

R
#1
hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with vista loaded
on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i enter the ip
address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from the other
computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the security
or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.
 

My Computer

R

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

#2
Can you ping the router?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A2A92A3-5503-459D-9C77-83B93432B73B@microsoft.com...
hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with vista loaded
on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i enter the ip
address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from the other
computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the security
or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.
 

My Computer

R

Roberto

#3
"RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1A2A92A3-5503-459D-9C77-83B93432B73B@microsoft.com...
> hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with vista
> loaded
> on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i enter the
> ip
> address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
> troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from the
> other
> computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the
> security
> or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.


Unfortunately some routers aren't Vista compatible
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx

rgds
Roberto
 

My Computer

R
#4
thanks Roberto. this is where i'm confused. the router works in that i can
get out to the internet fine. no problems there. however, my issue is that i
cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx url
that the vendor gives in the owners manual. any advice ito help me is
welcomed. thanks again.

will try the link you sent also. thanks for that.


"Roberto" wrote:

> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1A2A92A3-5503-459D-9C77-83B93432B73B@microsoft.com...
> > hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with vista
> > loaded
> > on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i enter the
> > ip
> > address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
> > troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from the
> > other
> > computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the
> > security
> > or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.

>
> Unfortunately some routers aren't Vista compatible
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx
>
> rgds
> Roberto
>
>
 

My Computer

K

Karl Froelich [MS]

#5
What is the make and model of your router? There are some routers (notably
apple) that don't allow direct access via the URL. That being said, you say
you CAN connect via the url using XP, but you CANNOT connecti via the URL
using Vista. Yet, in all other respects, the Vista machine has full
connectivity?

"RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3C1B6E84-40DC-4A66-A752-06DFA45C1F9E@microsoft.com...
> thanks Roberto. this is where i'm confused. the router works in that i can
> get out to the internet fine. no problems there. however, my issue is that
> i
> cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx url
> that the vendor gives in the owners manual. any advice ito help me is
> welcomed. thanks again.
>
> will try the link you sent also. thanks for that.
>
>
> "Roberto" wrote:
>
>> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1A2A92A3-5503-459D-9C77-83B93432B73B@microsoft.com...
>> > hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with vista
>> > loaded
>> > on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i enter
>> > the
>> > ip
>> > address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
>> > troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from the
>> > other
>> > computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the
>> > security
>> > or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.

>>
>> Unfortunately some routers aren't Vista compatible
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx
>>
>> rgds
>> Roberto
>>
>>
 

My Computer

R
#6
Karl - yes, everything you wrote is correct! The make is Siemens SpeedStream
model 2623 (see link below). thanks for your help.

http://kb.efficient.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45965&r=1.903713E-03


"Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:

> What is the make and model of your router? There are some routers (notably
> apple) that don't allow direct access via the URL. That being said, you say
> you CAN connect via the url using XP, but you CANNOT connecti via the URL
> using Vista. Yet, in all other respects, the Vista machine has full
> connectivity?
>
> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3C1B6E84-40DC-4A66-A752-06DFA45C1F9E@microsoft.com...
> > thanks Roberto. this is where i'm confused. the router works in that i can
> > get out to the internet fine. no problems there. however, my issue is that
> > i
> > cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx url
> > that the vendor gives in the owners manual. any advice ito help me is
> > welcomed. thanks again.
> >
> > will try the link you sent also. thanks for that.
> >
> >
> > "Roberto" wrote:
> >
> >> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:1A2A92A3-5503-459D-9C77-83B93432B73B@microsoft.com...
> >> > hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with vista
> >> > loaded
> >> > on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i enter
> >> > the
> >> > ip
> >> > address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
> >> > troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from the
> >> > other
> >> > computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the
> >> > security
> >> > or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately some routers aren't Vista compatible
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx
> >>
> >> rgds
> >> Roberto
> >>
> >>

>
 

My Computer

K

Karl Froelich [MS]

#7
Thanks for the info - I will look into this router. I don't have any other
advice for you at this time; since you can get to this from XP you do not
appear to be blocked.

K.
"RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B653D871-9A05-44F9-AF4E-E8815576FB83@microsoft.com...
> Karl - yes, everything you wrote is correct! The make is Siemens
> SpeedStream
> model 2623 (see link below). thanks for your help.
>
> http://kb.efficient.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45965&r=1.903713E-03
>
>
> "Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:
>
>> What is the make and model of your router? There are some routers
>> (notably
>> apple) that don't allow direct access via the URL. That being said, you
>> say
>> you CAN connect via the url using XP, but you CANNOT connecti via the URL
>> using Vista. Yet, in all other respects, the Vista machine has full
>> connectivity?
>>
>> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:3C1B6E84-40DC-4A66-A752-06DFA45C1F9E@microsoft.com...
>> > thanks Roberto. this is where i'm confused. the router works in that i
>> > can
>> > get out to the internet fine. no problems there. however, my issue is
>> > that
>> > i
>> > cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>> > url
>> > that the vendor gives in the owners manual. any advice ito help me is
>> > welcomed. thanks again.
>> >
>> > will try the link you sent also. thanks for that.
>> >
>> >
>> > "Roberto" wrote:
>> >
>> >> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:1A2A92A3-5503-459D-9C77-83B93432B73B@microsoft.com...
>> >> > hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with
>> >> > vista
>> >> > loaded
>> >> > on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i
>> >> > enter
>> >> > the
>> >> > ip
>> >> > address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
>> >> > troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from
>> >> > the
>> >> > other
>> >> > computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the
>> >> > security
>> >> > or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.
>> >>
>> >> Unfortunately some routers aren't Vista compatible
>> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx
>> >>
>> >> rgds
>> >> Roberto
>> >>
>> >>

>>
 

My Computer

R
#8
thanks. any help would be great. i will wait to hear from you.

"Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:

> Thanks for the info - I will look into this router. I don't have any other
> advice for you at this time; since you can get to this from XP you do not
> appear to be blocked.
>
> K.
> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B653D871-9A05-44F9-AF4E-E8815576FB83@microsoft.com...
> > Karl - yes, everything you wrote is correct! The make is Siemens
> > SpeedStream
> > model 2623 (see link below). thanks for your help.
> >
> > http://kb.efficient.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45965&r=1.903713E-03
> >
> >
> > "Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:
> >
> >> What is the make and model of your router? There are some routers
> >> (notably
> >> apple) that don't allow direct access via the URL. That being said, you
> >> say
> >> you CAN connect via the url using XP, but you CANNOT connecti via the URL
> >> using Vista. Yet, in all other respects, the Vista machine has full
> >> connectivity?
> >>
> >> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:3C1B6E84-40DC-4A66-A752-06DFA45C1F9E@microsoft.com...
> >> > thanks Roberto. this is where i'm confused. the router works in that i
> >> > can
> >> > get out to the internet fine. no problems there. however, my issue is
> >> > that
> >> > i
> >> > cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >> > url
> >> > that the vendor gives in the owners manual. any advice ito help me is
> >> > welcomed. thanks again.
> >> >
> >> > will try the link you sent also. thanks for that.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > "Roberto" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> >> news:1A2A92A3-5503-459D-9C77-83B93432B73B@microsoft.com...
> >> >> > hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with
> >> >> > vista
> >> >> > loaded
> >> >> > on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i
> >> >> > enter
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > ip
> >> >> > address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
> >> >> > troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > other
> >> >> > computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the
> >> >> > security
> >> >> > or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.
> >> >>
> >> >> Unfortunately some routers aren't Vista compatible
> >> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx
> >> >>
> >> >> rgds
> >> >> Roberto
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >>

>
 

My Computer

R

Roberto

#9
"RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3C1B6E84-40DC-4A66-A752-06DFA45C1F9E@microsoft.com...
> thanks Roberto. this is where i'm confused. the router works in that i can
> get out to the internet fine. no problems there. however, my issue is that
> i
> cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx url
> that the vendor gives in the owners manual. any advice ito help me is
> welcomed. thanks again.
>
> will try the link you sent also. thanks for that.


Seems strange that you have web access, but can't open the web interface
via the routers default IP address.
I would try resetting the router back to default, maybe it's IP address
has been changed in the past,

rgds
Roberto

:
>
>> "RGA" <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1A2A92A3-5503-459D-9C77-83B93432B73B@microsoft.com...
>> > hi. first time doing this. i just purchased a new computer with vista
>> > loaded
>> > on it. unfortunately, i cannot access my router set-up screen. i enter
>> > the
>> > ip
>> > address (url?) and get a message that it cannot be accessed, or
>> > troubleshooted. however, i can access the router set-up screen from the
>> > other
>> > computers in my house that are running xp. do i need to change the
>> > security
>> > or network settings on the vista computer? thanks for the help.

>>
>> Unfortunately some routers aren't Vista compatible
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx
>>
>> rgds
>> Roberto
>>
>>
 

My Computer

C

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

#10
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 07:52:02 -0700, RGA <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com>

>thanks Roberto. this is where i'm confused. the router works in that i can
>get out to the internet fine. no problems there. however, my issue is that i
>cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx url
>that the vendor gives in the owners manual. any advice ito help me is
>welcomed. thanks again.


Perhaps the router is no longer using the same local (private, LAN
side of the NAT) IP address range?

If so, do this:
- start a Cmd prompt
- enter the IPCONFIG command
- look for the "gateway" IP
- use the "gateway" IP to access the router

You may also see the same information by rt-clicing the network
connection and checking Properties, or just double-clicking it.

Also, be sure to precede the IP with http:// as the browser may
otherwise do a "search" for it. Such browser logic may expect all web
site URLs to start with "www." as the cue that you want the http://
service, as opposed to ftp:// or whatever, so when the URL doesn't
start with www., you have to use an explicit http://



>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...
>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
 

My Computer

C

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

#11
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 11:24:44 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
>On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 07:52:02 -0700, RGA

<RGA@discussions.microsoft.com>

>>I cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx url
>>that the vendor gives in the owners manual.


>Perhaps the router is no longer using the same local (private, LAN
>side of the NAT) IP address range?


>Also, be sure to precede the IP with http:// as the browser may
>otherwise do a "search" for it.


Also, make sure there is no web (Internet) proxy settings in effect.



>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Reality is that which, when you stop believing
in it, does not go away (PKD)
>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
 

My Computer

#12
Hi thanks for your advice. I tried the ipconfig and the gateway is the same,
it hasn't changed. there are no proxies and i am using http:// in the address
line .... all to no avail. any other ideas?

new topic. i play music through my computer (as a jukebox, internet radio,
itunes, etc) and it plays fine. if it sits ifdle for a while, then it does
not play. the applications run fine, bu there is no sound. i retart the
computer and all is fine again. sounds like it "times out" because of some
reason. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks ...... again.


"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 11:24:44 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
> >On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 07:52:02 -0700, RGA

> <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> >>I cannot access the router itself by entering the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx url
> >>that the vendor gives in the owners manual.

>
> >Perhaps the router is no longer using the same local (private, LAN
> >side of the NAT) IP address range?

>
> >Also, be sure to precede the IP with http:// as the browser may
> >otherwise do a "search" for it.

>
> Also, make sure there is no web (Internet) proxy settings in effect.
>
>
>
> >-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

> Reality is that which, when you stop believing
> in it, does not go away (PKD)
> >-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

>
 

My Computer

C

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

#13
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 09:42:00 -0700, RGA <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com>

>Hi thanks for your advice. I tried the ipconfig and the gateway is the same,
>it hasn't changed. there are no proxies and i am using http:// in the address
>line .... all to no avail. any other ideas?


Bummer.

Malicious HOSTS redirect?
Did you try other web browsers?

What actually happens when you try http://a.b.c.d ?

>new topic. i play music through my computer (as a jukebox, internet radio,
>itunes, etc) and it plays fine. if it sits ifdle for a while,


What happens during this idle time? i.e.
- does the monitor suspend
- does the HD spin down
- does a screensaver kick in, and if so, what screen saver
- does the system suspend

>then it does not play. the applications run fine, bu there is no sound.


Are you using USB speakers? If so, do "real" speakers suck less?

My guesses are some sort of "suspend" that does not restore the prior
state, or a screen saver that hogs the sound device and doesn't
release it when it clears, or some sort of USB thing.



>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

Tech Support: The guys who follow the
'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.
>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
 

My Computer

#14
after entering the http://a.b.c.d then IE works for a about a minute and
returns a message saying the device cannot be accessed. i try the
troubleshoot button and it returns a message saying it cannot be
troubleshooted. another button trys to explain reasons why it cannot be
accessed, but none make sense. the frusterating thing is that i can get out
to the net fine, just not to the internal router setup screen.

the sound issue - no screen saver, it just goes to black. when i move the
mouse it comes back to the desktop screen. everything works fine, i can play
a song but no sound comes out.

thx.


"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 09:42:00 -0700, RGA <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> >Hi thanks for your advice. I tried the ipconfig and the gateway is the same,
> >it hasn't changed. there are no proxies and i am using http:// in the address
> >line .... all to no avail. any other ideas?

>
> Bummer.
>
> Malicious HOSTS redirect?
> Did you try other web browsers?
>
> What actually happens when you try http://a.b.c.d ?
>
> >new topic. i play music through my computer (as a jukebox, internet radio,
> >itunes, etc) and it plays fine. if it sits ifdle for a while,

>
> What happens during this idle time? i.e.
> - does the monitor suspend
> - does the HD spin down
> - does a screensaver kick in, and if so, what screen saver
> - does the system suspend
>
> >then it does not play. the applications run fine, bu there is no sound.

>
> Are you using USB speakers? If so, do "real" speakers suck less?
>
> My guesses are some sort of "suspend" that does not restore the prior
> state, or a screen saver that hogs the sound device and doesn't
> release it when it clears, or some sort of USB thing.
>
>
>
> >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

> Tech Support: The guys who follow the
> 'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.
> >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

>
 

My Computer

#15
been gone for a while sorry. appreciate the input, nothing has worked so far.
no proxies are set up and the web client is not disabled. i can access the
router from the other XP computers in the building. do i need to change the
Vista computer settings if it's set up as a "terminal" as you wrote below
(how can i tell if this is the case?)? Here's the text i refer to in my
message:

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
under the security section.

BTW, the sound issue is fixed. Thanks again.


"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:50:03 -0700, RGA <RGA@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> >after entering the http://a.b.c.d then IE works for a about a minute and
> >returns a message saying the device cannot be accessed.

>
> That smells like it's either not on the right subnet, or there's some
> sort of proxy settings in the way. Or... the router's had the web
> interface disabled, which isn't the default, but could be done by
> those who prefer to access it as a "terminal".
>
> >another button trys to explain reasons why it cannot be accessed,
> >but none make sense.

>
> What are these reasons? If you can get exact text, you can search the
> internet for "the exact error string" etc.
>
> >the frusterating thing is that i can get out to the net fine, just not
> >to the internal router setup screen.

>
> OK; then it sounds like the web interface is disabled, or there's a
> block that applies only for the web service, e.g. web proxy.
>
> >the sound issue - no screen saver, it just goes to black. when i move the
> >mouse it comes back to the desktop screen. everything works fine, i can play
> >a song but no sound comes out.

>
> OK, so it's not a screen saver that hogs the sound.
>
> Need to know:
> - when screen goes black, is the PC:
> - suspending
> - spinning down the HD
> - or just suspending the monitor?
> - are you using USB or "wireless" speakers?
> - are .MID, audio CDs and .WAV equally affected?
>
>
>
>
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

> Do it once, properly
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)