• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SBS 2003 NTbackup

Y

yaro137

#1
I noticed that it backs up priv1.edb and pub1.edb and then the
Information Store. Do I need the priv1 and pub1 included?
yaro
 

My Computer

M

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

#2
I prefer to keep all backups of Exchange...

Backups on Windows Small Business Server 2003 may use more backup media
space than expected
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840754
-------------------------------------------
The SBS Backup Configuration Wizard configures an online backup of the
information store and a file system backup of the MDBDATA folder because
both types of backup procedures are useful for different disaster recovery
scenarios. The MDBDATA folder backups are most useful for recovery if you
must rebuild the server. For example, use this backup if you must replace or
reformat the primary hard disk of the server because of a disk failure or
because of a controller failure. The online backups of the information store
are most useful for recovery when only the information store is damaged. For
example, use the information store backup if the Exchange databases become
inconsistent because of an unexpected shutdown, but the operating system is
not damaged.

The online backups verify database consistency and remove log files that the
information store is no longer using. If you do not run the online backups,
the information store continues to generate new log files until you exhaust
the free space on the volume that contains the log files.
-------------------------------------------

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================
"yaro137" <yaro137@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:61ceb3e0-fa02-4c13-9180-d4ebda4a5ad0@newsgroup

> I noticed that it backs up priv1.edb and pub1.edb and then the
> Information Store. Do I need the priv1 and pub1 included?
> yaro
 

My Computer

Y

yaro137

#3
On Feb 25, 12:03 am, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"
<mwport@newsgroup_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I prefer to keep all backups of Exchange...
>
> Backups on Windows Small Business Server 2003 may use more backup media
> space than expectedhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/840754
> -------------------------------------------
> The SBS Backup Configuration Wizard configures an online backup of the
> information store and a file system backup of the MDBDATA folder because
> both types of backup procedures are useful for different disaster recovery
> scenarios. The MDBDATA folder backups are most useful for recovery if you
> must rebuild the server. For example, use this backup if you must replaceor
> reformat the primary hard disk of the server because of a disk failure or
> because of a controller failure. The online backups of the information store
> are most useful for recovery when only the information store is damaged. For
> example, use the information store backup if the Exchange databases become
> inconsistent because of an unexpected shutdown, but the operating system is
> not damaged.
>
> The online backups verify database consistency and remove log files that the
> information store is no longer using. If you do not run the online backups,
> the information store continues to generate new log files until you exhaust
> the free space on the volume that contains the log files.
> -------------------------------------------
>
> --
> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> ============================"yaro137" <yaro...@newsgroup> wrote in message
>
> news:61ceb3e0-fa02-4c13-9180-d4ebda4a5ad0@newsgroup
>

> > I noticed that it backs up priv1.edb and pub1.edb and then the
> > Information Store. Do I need the priv1 and pub1 included?
> > yaro
I get it. Thanks
yaro
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)