• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Security Flaw?

Hello:

Today I noticed one of my "Friends" was online--I started a chat and automatically got an automated script chatting with me about their webcam. I then realized that this wasn't my friend, but they did have the same name as one of my real friends on IM, and it is a name that isn't that common.

I was never prompted to add this contact--I would have seen the wrong email and rejected it is I was. This is troubling--how were they able to figure out who my contact names were and insert themselves into my contact list without approval.

I am on the latest Windows Live 2009-- 14.0.8089.725

Is this a known issue?

My Computer

CrucialHoax

Action is Knowledge
Vista Guru
usa us_arizona
Hello:

Today I noticed one of my "Friends" was online--I started a chat and automatically got an automated script chatting with me about their webcam. I then realized that this wasn't my friend, but they did have the same name as one of my real friends on IM, and it is a name that isn't that common.

I was never prompted to add this contact--I would have seen the wrong email and rejected it is I was. This is troubling--how were they able to figure out who my contact names were and insert themselves into my contact list without approval.

I am on the latest Windows Live 2009-- 14.0.8089.725

Is this a known issue?
You might already be infected. Have you ran any scans?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intergrated Intel Graphics
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    It's special, it flips open :)
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Internet Speed
    Down: 16mb/s Up: 1.6mb/s
    Other Info
    I killed my HP Laptop :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)