Sent Mail

T

Tim

I love the new windows live mail. It's just the email client I have been
looking for. However a few gripes. Why does the header in sent mails have
me, the sender? Shouldn't it be the person I sent it to? Also, using the web
version, if I drag all my sent mails from my gmail account into the sent
mail of my live account, in the sent sort column it will say my name and not
the person I sent it to. It shows it correctly in the desktop version but
is different with the web version. Well it's not perfect, but I love how
well it syncs the web mail and desktop mail. I will be using live mail as my
primary email address now. And Gmail will forward to live mail so I have the
best of both worlds.
Thanks

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
- Confucius-
 

My Computer

N

N. Miller

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:38:20 -0500, Tim wrote:

> I love the new windows live mail. It's just the email client I have been
> looking for. However a few gripes. Why does the header in sent mails have
> me, the sender? Shouldn't it be the person I sent it to?

I am not sure that I understand the question. Email in the "Sent Items"
folder has limited headers because it has only been handled by the client;
not by any other mail agent than the client. Email in the "Sent Items"
folder should display "From:", "To:", "Cc:", and "Bcc:" email addresses.

Email received at another account will have whatever information in the
headers as the email serves add when they accept the email for delivery. All
MTAs in the path from the source to the destination add information,
depending upon their configuration.

> Also, using the web version...

There is no "web version". Windows Live Hotmail is a completely different
"thing" than the Windows Live Mail desktop client. Windows Live Hotmail is a
web mail service, somewhat akin to AOL Mail, GMail, and Yahoo! Mail (among
the major players). It replaces MSN Hotmail. That you can use Windows Live
Mail (the client) to access Windows Live Hotmail doesn't change the nature
of the "things".

> ...if I drag all my sent mails from my gmail account into the sent mail of
> my live account, in the sent sort column it will say my name and not the
> person I sent it to. It shows it correctly in the desktop version but is
> different with the web version.

I am not even sure of the reason for that exercise. Assuming you have both a
GMail and a Hotmail account configured in WLM, and that you have email in
the local GMail "Sent Items" folder. Why drag them to the Hotmail account?

Accessing Windows Live Hotmail using Windows Live Mail causes a
"synchronization" of the contents of the local account folders, and the
server folders. Everything in the local account folders is a mirror of the
contents of the server folders. Note that the "local account" folders are
not the same as the "Storage" folders.

In any case, since the folders in the account tree mirror the folders on the
server (for HTTP Mail and IMAP accounts), what you will see locally is
controlled by the format on the mail server.

> Well it's not perfect, but I love how well it syncs the web mail and desktop
> mail. I will be using live mail as my primary email address now. And Gmail will
> forward to live mail so I have the best of both worlds.

You can set up a GMail account in Windows Live Mail. You can even configure
a GMail account for IMAP access, which is similar to the HTTP Mail access
used by Windows Live Hotmail.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
 

My Computer

T

Tim

Thanks for the response.

> There is no "web version". Windows Live Hotmail is a completely different
> "thing" than the Windows Live Mail desktop client. Windows Live Hotmail is
> a
> web mail service, somewhat akin to AOL Mail, GMail, and Yahoo! Mail (among
> the major players). It replaces MSN Hotmail. That you can use Windows Live
> Mail (the client) to access Windows Live Hotmail doesn't change the nature
> of the "things".

I understand this. What I meant by web version was accessing hotmail via a
web browser.

>> ...if I drag all my sent mails from my gmail account into the sent mail
>> of
>> my live account, in the sent sort column it will say my name and not the
>> person I sent it to. It shows it correctly in the desktop version but is
>> different with the web version.
>
> I am not even sure of the reason for that exercise. Assuming you have both
> a
> GMail and a Hotmail account configured in WLM, and that you have email in
> the local GMail "Sent Items" folder. Why drag them to the Hotmail account?
>
The reason for this is because I want to delete the gmail account. I like
live mail so much I plan to not use gmail anymore, though I am having emails
forwarded from gmail for the time being. I still wanted to keep all my sent
mails from gmail and still have them available in hotmail. So my main
problem is this...all the emails I had sent on gmail are now in my sent
folder on hotmail, but when accessing them using a browser and looking at
the left pane, all sent emails from gmail have my name and not the person I
sent them to. If I use hotmail to send them, then they show up with the "to"
person, but not sent emails I used with gmail. The desktop client shows all
of them as the "to" person, but in a browser it shows the "from" person.
Hope I am explaining this good enough.
 

My Computer

R

R. C. White

Hi, Tim.

> Why does the header in sent mails have me, the sender? Shouldn't it be the
> person I sent it to?

My first thought was that you meant the message headers (press <Ctrl>+F3 to
see them). But, are you are talking about the headers of the columns in the
Message List (above the Reading Pane)?

You can choose for yourself which columns to show in each of several WLM
windows. In the email reading window, you do want to see the From column,
but don't usually need the To because that is always you. But Sent Items,
they are almost always From you and you want to see the To column. Just
click Sent Items, then click View | Columns. Uncheck From and check To,
then adjust the sequence and size of each column to suit yourself.

If this is not what you meant...Nevermind! ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
[email protected]
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I love the new windows live mail. It's just the email client I have been
> looking for. However a few gripes. Why does the header in sent mails have
> me, the sender? Shouldn't it be the person I sent it to? Also, using the
> web version, if I drag all my sent mails from my gmail account into the
> sent mail of my live account, in the sent sort column it will say my name
> and not the person I sent it to. It shows it correctly in the desktop
> version but is different with the web version. Well it's not perfect, but
> I love how well it syncs the web mail and desktop mail. I will be using
> live mail as my primary email address now. And Gmail will forward to live
> mail so I have the best of both worlds.
> Thanks
 

My Computer

T

Tim


> My first thought was that you meant the message headers (press <Ctrl>+F3
> to see them). But, are you are talking about the headers of the columns
> in the Message List (above the Reading Pane)?
>
> You can choose for yourself which columns to show in each of several WLM
> windows. In the email reading window, you do want to see the From column,
> but don't usually need the To because that is always you. But Sent Items,
> they are almost always From you and you want to see the To column. Just
> click Sent Items, then click View | Columns. Uncheck From and check To,
> then adjust the sequence and size of each column to suit yourself.
>
> If this is not what you meant...Nevermind! ;^}
>

I'm talking about viewing hotmail in a browser. It works fine in the WLM
desktop client. The problem shows up only when viewing WLM on a browser.
 

My Computer

Top