• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch

M
#1
There's a serious performance bug in avast! antivirus.
avast! slows down Windows Vista.
avast! causes a lot of hard drive activity every time you launch an
application although it's already cached in RAM, it seems avast to be
incompatible with Vista's Superfetch.
Try to disable avast and your Windows Vista will fly!!!
 

My Computer

V

Victor

#2
I have been using Vista and Avast since day one.. with it or with out it..
Vista is basically the same

Yes I know how to disable avast, but even without avast installed at all
Vista is more or less the same.

I havent noticed any huge impact on Vista performance from Avast out of the
ordinary...

Vista is slow to begin with .. even with SP1 its much improved but its still
slow.. lol



"mikk" <mikk@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5E908E5B-D6C5-4CB2-A3DC-6DEE1D1E2B24@xxxxxx

> There's a serious performance bug in avast! antivirus.
> avast! slows down Windows Vista.
> avast! causes a lot of hard drive activity every time you launch an
> application although it's already cached in RAM, it seems avast to be
> incompatible with Vista's Superfetch.
> Try to disable avast and your Windows Vista will fly!!!
 

My Computer

M

Malke

#3
mikk wrote:

> There's a serious performance bug in avast! antivirus.
> avast! slows down Windows Vista.
> avast! causes a lot of hard drive activity every time you launch an
> application although it's already cached in RAM, it seems avast to be
> incompatible with Vista's Superfetch.
> Try to disable avast and your Windows Vista will fly!!!
I've got Avast on my Vista box and have put it on lots of clients' machines
and have experienced no difficulties whatsoever. Perhaps you have something
else running that is conflicting? You might want to check on Avast's user
forums if they have any.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
 

My Computer

M

Mick Murphy

#4
I have used Avast in my customers' computers using XP and Vista for ages.

Absolutely no reported problems.
It is 32bit and 64bit Vista compatible.

"mikk" wrote:

> There's a serious performance bug in avast! antivirus.
> avast! slows down Windows Vista.
> avast! causes a lot of hard drive activity every time you launch an
> application although it's already cached in RAM, it seems avast to be
> incompatible with Vista's Superfetch.
> Try to disable avast and your Windows Vista will fly!!!
 

My Computer

C

Colon Terminus

#5
"mikk" <mikk@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5E908E5B-D6C5-4CB2-A3DC-6DEE1D1E2B24@xxxxxx

> There's a serious performance bug in avast! antivirus.
> avast! slows down Windows Vista.
> avast! causes a lot of hard drive activity every time you launch an
> application although it's already cached in RAM, it seems avast to be
> incompatible with Vista's Superfetch.
> Try to disable avast and your Windows Vista will fly!!!
I notice no performance impact at all from Avast!
If it weren't for the little rotating "A" in the system tray i wouldn't know
it was there.

Windows Vista will never fly! Nor does it "run". Walks pertty fast though.




--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
 

My Computer

#6
I agree with Mick's comment. Mikk's comments are bogus.

Mick Murphy wrote:

> I have used Avast in my customers' computers using XP and Vista for ages.
>
> Absolutely no reported problems.
> It is 32bit and 64bit Vista compatible.
>
> "mikk" wrote:
>

>> There's a serious performance bug in avast! antivirus.
>> avast! slows down Windows Vista.
>> avast! causes a lot of hard drive activity every time you launch an
>> application although it's already cached in RAM, it seems avast to be
>> incompatible with Vista's Superfetch.
>> Try to disable avast and your Windows Vista will fly!!!
 

My Computer

roy69

47,65,65,6B
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Messages
2,607
Location
uk
#7
I use the 64bit version of avast, no problems from me.
 

My Computer

System One

  • Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
G

gradofan

#8
Absolutely!

The most recent version of Avast is no longer compatible with Vista -
slows it to almost a stop... for whatever reasons.

Ran it successfully for years - before the most recent update - but, no
longer!

I'm now a happy AVG user.

And... yes... Vista does fly without Avast!


--
gradofan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
gradofan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149944.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/914899.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

M

Michael

#9
"gradofan" <gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup

>
> Absolutely!
>
> The most recent version of Avast is no longer compatible with Vista -
> slows it to almost a stop... for whatever reasons.
>
> Ran it successfully for years - before the most recent update - but, no
> longer!
>
> I'm now a happy AVG user.
>
> And... yes... Vista does fly without Avast!
>
>
> --
> gradofan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> gradofan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149944.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/914899.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
2 years late and 50 IQ points short!

--


"Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
 

My Computer

P

Poutnik

#10
In article <gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup>,
gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup says...

>
> Absolutely!
>
> The most recent version of Avast is no longer compatible with Vista -
> slows it to almost a stop... for whatever reasons.
>
> Ran it successfully for years - before the most recent update - but, no
> longer!
>
> I'm now a happy AVG user.
>
> And... yes... Vista does fly without Avast!
Interesting, I did not notice any slowdown on vista64 home premium.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
 

My Computer

G

gradofan

#11
Actually... not at all...

Avast was fine with Vista 2 years ago... even up until 2 days ago.

Its the most recent version, with all updates to Vista and Avast that
made the difference.

Prior to that Avast was "as good as it gets." But... something has
gone horribly wrong with the most recent version.

Ah... just so you know... the loss of 50 IQ points would still leave me
at 148... substantially above all but about .5% of others.


--
gradofan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
gradofan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149944.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/914899.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

C

Charlie Tame

#12
Poutnik wrote:

> In article <gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup>,
> gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup says...

>> Absolutely!
>>
>> The most recent version of Avast is no longer compatible with Vista -
>> slows it to almost a stop... for whatever reasons.
>>
>> Ran it successfully for years - before the most recent update - but, no
>> longer!
>>
>> I'm now a happy AVG user.
>>
>> And... yes... Vista does fly without Avast!
>
> Interesting, I did not notice any slowdown on vista64 home premium.
>

Well he said since the last update and I have not seem my home machine
for a week, but it was working very well and less nagging than Avira. It
was AVG that gave me most trouble a few month back which is why I tried
Avira.
 

My Computer

F

FredW

#13
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:45:49 -0500, Charlie Tame <charlie@newsgroup>
wrote:

>
>Poutnik wrote:

>> In article <gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup>,
>> gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup says...

>>> Absolutely!
>>>
>>> The most recent version of Avast is no longer compatible with Vista -
>>> slows it to almost a stop... for whatever reasons.
>>>
>>> Ran it successfully for years - before the most recent update - but, no
>>> longer!
>>>
>>> I'm now a happy AVG user.
>>>
>>> And... yes... Vista does fly without Avast!
>>
>> Interesting, I did not notice any slowdown on vista64 home premium.
>>
>
>
>Well he said since the last update and I have not seem my home machine
>for a week, but it was working very well and less nagging than Avira.
Disable the Avira AntiVir avnotify nag screen:
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

--
Fred W. (NL)
 

My Computer

G

gradofan

#14
I'm not sure you can really compare across machines with different
setups, etc.

And... Avast was superb until this past week.

I tried Avira, couldn't get it to finish the install and update - gave
up.

And... AVG installed and ran perfectly, with no conflicts or
substantial slow down of the system.

I attributed the problems to Avast, because they all disappeared when
Avast disappeared. Could have been something else, which AVG, just
doesn't conflict with. But... the issue seemed to arise with an update
of the Avast system, and it disappeared when it was gone.


--
gradofan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
gradofan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149944.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/914899.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

W

webster72n

#15
"gradofan" <gradofan.40u9rb@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:gradofan.40u9rb@newsgroup

>
> Actually... not at all...
>
> Avast was fine with Vista 2 years ago... even up until 2 days ago.
>
> Its the most recent version, with all updates to Vista and Avast that
> made the difference.
That's mighty strange, because I don't experience any of those symptoms you
describe. Avast works as well for me as ever, but I have it on 'autopilot'.
Whatever gave you trouble, was not caused by Avast, I'm sure.

Harry.

>
> Prior to that Avast was "as good as it gets." But... something has
> gone horribly wrong with the most recent version.
>
> Ah... just so you know... the loss of 50 IQ points would still leave me
> at 148... substantially above all but about .5% of others.
>
>
> --
> gradofan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> gradofan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149944.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/914899.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
 

My Computer

G

gradofan

#16
I should note... that it may have been primarily an Avast / IE8 issue...
not necessarily an Avast / Vista issue. Most of the gremlins appeared
to be in IE8, and secondarily in FireFox 3.5, not so much in Vista.

I just looked for a thread that was close and jumped into it.


--
gradofan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
gradofan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149944.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/914899.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

gradofan

New Member
Messages
3
#17
I'm not sure you can really compare across machines with different
setups, etc.

And... Avast was superb until this past week.

I tried Avira, couldn't get it to finish the install and update - gave
up.

And... AVG installed and ran perfectly, with no conflicts or
substantial slow down of the system.

I attributed the problems to Avast, because they all disappeared when
Avast disappeared. Could have been something else, which AVG, just
doesn't conflict with. But... the issue seemed to arise with an update
of the Avast system, and it disappeared when it was gone.
I should note... that... the conflict was really more of one between IE8 and Avast, primarily, and Firefox 3.5 and Avast, secondarily... not... no much between Vista, per se, and Avast. The browsers were what "shut down," though Vista was involved.

And... it seems others, with the identical set up have had similar issues - though not related to the most recent update.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-perfo...air-corrupt-system-files-avast-antivirus.html
 

My Computer

P

Poutnik

#18
In article <ufsjxEOWKHA.4004@newsgroup>, charlie@newsgroup
says...

>
> Poutnik wrote:

> > In article <gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup>,
> > gradofan.40u47a@newsgroup says...

> >> Absolutely!
> >>
> >> The most recent version of Avast is no longer compatible with Vista -
> >> slows it to almost a stop... for whatever reasons.
> >>
> >> Ran it successfully for years - before the most recent update - but, no
> >> longer!
> >>
> >> I'm now a happy AVG user.
> >>
> >> And... yes... Vista does fly without Avast!
> >
> > Interesting, I did not notice any slowdown on vista64 home premium.
> >
>
>
> Well he said since the last update and I have not seem my home machine
> for a week, but it was working very well and less nagging than Avira. It
> was AVG that gave me most trouble a few month back which is why I tried
> Avira.
Last update is from August

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
 

My Computer

C

Camper

#19
"gradofan" <gradofan.40u9rb@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:gradofan.40u9rb@newsgroup

>
> Actually... not at all...
>
> Avast was fine with Vista 2 years ago... even up until 2 days ago.
>
> Its the most recent version, with all updates to Vista and Avast that
> made the difference.
>
> Prior to that Avast was "as good as it gets." But... something has
> gone horribly wrong with the most recent version.
>
> Ah... just so you know... the loss of 50 IQ points would still leave me
> at 148... substantially above all but about .5% of others.
>
>
> --
> gradofan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the lack of logic of your post I think you added 50 instead of taking
them away!

Camper
 

My Computer

T

The Other Guy

#20
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 06:14:27 +0530, gradofan
<gradofan.40ui3a@newsgroup> wrote:

>
>I'm not sure you can really compare across machines with different
>setups, etc.
>
>And... Avast was superb until this past week.
I use Avast, with Vista 64, and it still works fine,
even after I just updated it because of your problem.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)