Solved sfc /scannow help

thekid89

I decided to run a sfc /scannow on my computer today because I have been experiencing some minor issues. When I ran scan it ended with this response:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I tried opening the file to see if I could find more information and received an Access Denied message. Is there anything I can do to open this file? Is there anything I can do to fix/repair/correct the corrupt files that are still there? Thanks ahead for any help and suggestions.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
Open cbs.log with Notepad.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
thekid89,

Have a look in the yellow area of this tutorial, it gives some suggestions, eg the findstr command. I recommend you to run that. If you want to open the CBS.log, you can just copy it and paste into your documents folder. There will be a number of pop-ups to OK; just go ahead and do that.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0YU822, NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI SPP / SLI MCP
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 MB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    NVIDIA 640GB SATA Raid 0 (2x320GB) (7200 rpm) for Vista,
    Intel X25-M G2 160 GB for W7,
    Maxtor OT III External HDD,
    WD Elements 1 TB External HDD
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
    M779 PCIe PAL/SECAM/DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.
I did the findstr command and was able to identify which files were corrupted that weren't repaired. The cbs.log states that it is something to do with the Microsoft Windows Sidebar and reading more into the file it states that the "source file in store is also corrupted." I presume this means that it tried fixing it but that the source file that it would copy is also corrupted. What options does this leave me with? If you need a copy of the files please let me know, in case they are needed in helping solve this problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
OK, which files was it?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
    M779 PCIe PAL/SECAM/DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.
Here are two of the files, it seems to repeat the message a few times for each one:

\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-sidebar_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_2afb4740df058c0c\settings.ini do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" :
Found: {l:32 b:PF+0oMOHeSdDaSy4ZFcNhoRrk9QOY+HBWL4HP5YUMUg=} Expected: {l:32 b:v6OQf2AJO5FVbRBJuIwXxkdkCoOaSk3y0ol6uTH491o=}

\SystemRoot\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-sidebar_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_354ff19313664e07\settings.ini do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" :
Found: {l:32 b:f4a4oE6RZa4FZQ9vPyg3tlS0RBWPkbuQA3+d1SAOqUk=} Expected: {l:32 b:v6OQf2AJO5FVbRBJuIwXxkdkCoOaSk3y0ol6uTH491o=}

I also attached the CBS.log file as well just in case this could help. I'm also not sure if this has anything to do with this problem but I have also been experiencing a number of windows explorer errors lately. Could this be caused by this or is it something else?

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    508.5 KB · Views: 6

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
It may be caused by something else, or not...
Was it the Win Explorer problems that made you run the SFC?
Do you still have the problems, and do they go away if you turn the sidebar off (by right clicking on the notification area icon - exit)?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
The explorers caused me to run the sfc scan, and since then I haven't really experienced them. As for the sidebar, I do not use it which makes me slightly confused as to why those files would be corrupted.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
Sorry, I don't have an explanation for the corruption but it happened to me, too, and I DO use the sidebar. Found out that once a sidebar item gets corrupted, sidebar refuses to launch anymore. Had to restore to an old image backup to fix it. Ran sfc /scannow but it found no problems after the restore.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    Athlon x64 4400
    Motherboard
    ASUS A8n32-deluxe
    Memory
    OCZ 2GB low-latency 3200
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI X1600
    Sound Card
    B-enspirer CMI8788
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 24-inch flat panel
    Screen Resolution
    19290x1280
    Hard Drives
    WD 320GB SATA II
    PSU
    350 watt enermax
    Case
    Antec PS180
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 gaming
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless
    Internet Speed
    Broadband -- 15MB
The explorers caused me to run the sfc scan, and since then I haven't really experienced them. As for the sidebar, I do not use it which makes me slightly confused as to why those files would be corrupted.

You may have fixed the problem and I would not worry about this little ini-file unless you have actual problems with the sidebar. What you could do is run a proper virus check and then leave it as is. This sidebar issue may in fact be a non-issue, and if you are not using it, I cannot imagine it could have anything to do with your problem. You can open the ini file with notepad, I think you will find there is nothing in there to worry about. Hope your problems are gone, otherwise you are most welcome back.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
I experienced the Windows Explorer error again last night and again this morning. When I am alt tabbing between applications the preview screen gets stuck and such.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
I experienced the Windows Explorer error again last night and again this morning. When I am alt tabbing between applications the preview screen gets stuck and such.
I filtered your CBS.log file it only says about corrupted settings.ini from sidebar and it's copies in C:\Windows\WinSxS (attached below).Surly this file can't cause this kind of issue.

1.Maybe it cause only 3p applications -try again sfc /scannow command in safe mode
2.If point 1 fail back to normal mode and run Readiness Tool Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

this tool create CheckSur.log file in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder.Attache this file to post

Attachments

• Details5.txt
    123.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Details2.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 66

My Computer

Also, do you have any errors in the event log?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
Here is the file from the Readiness Tool. It showed that there were no errors found though the problem persists. It doesn't happen all the time, but at least once a day or so. Also apologies for the late response to the post.

Attachments

• CheckSUR.log
    583 bytes · Views: 61

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
No damages in C:\Windows or C:\Windows\WinSxS folders.

Start>>Search>>eventvwr.msc ,find all errors in Applications and System section and post here.

or prepare special log from event viewer:

Run cmd.exe and type:

WMIC /output:"%userprofile%\Desktop\LOG.htm" path Win32_NtLogEvent WHERE "EventType="1"" GET Logfile, Message, SourceName, EventCode,Type, TimeGenerated /FORMAT:HTABLE:"sortby=LogFile"

when you apply will appear console and do not turn off yourself,you have to wait untill it finish.When it finish on your desktop appear LOG.htm ->pack it and attache to post here

My Computer

Here is the LOG.htm file you asked me to create. I would also like to thank you and everyone else who has posted here for helping me out with this.

Attachments

• LOG.zip
    114 bytes · Views: 3

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
Unfortunately your log is empty.Maybe WMI is corrupted or 3p software block it.

Run cmd.exe with administrative and type

winmgmt /resetrepository

+restart

Try manually read all errors from event viewer and post here if WMIC command still not working

My Computer

Just wanted to post an update stating that I haven't experienced anything the past 2 days or so since I ran the above command. I will try and keep this updated over the next few days and see how everything goes. Just wanted to thank you all for your help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
I experienced an error today for the first time in a few days. I noticed that the error occurred after starting my laptop up from a hibernate, maybe this is somehow the cause. I went to the event viewer and encountered an error trying to open it up. I then rebooted and was able to open the event viewer. Here are the error entries I found around the time of these happenings. I decided to put them into a notepad file to consolidate space.

Attachments

• event_viewer_log.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 116

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp
Are you running Vista SP1?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
Back