Shutdown

ByLine
How to Speed Up Shut Down in Vista
Synopsis
This will show you how to set the amount of time Vista waits for programs to save data and close before shutting down. Decreasing this time will speed up the shutdown process.
How to Speed Up Shut Down in Vista

information   Information
This will show you how to set the amount of time Vista waits for programs to save data and close before shutting down. Always, as usual, make sure you save and close applications before shutting down to prevent data loss.
Tip   Tip
When you shut down the operating system, the OnShutdown method is called. However, the OnShutdown method does not change the system state to the Stop state. This behavior causes the service to appear unresponsive. Therefore, the shutdown process is delayed. If you have this problem, see: Microsoft Help and Support: KB943412 Hotfix . Be sure to download the correct 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x64) version. To see what bit version you have of Vista, open the Control Panel (Classic View) and click the System icon, or right click Computer in the Start Menu and click Properties. You will see the bit version under the System type section.
warning   Warning
You should always save and close all programs before shutting down the computer to help prevent any data loss.

METHOD ONE
Using a REG File Download

1. To Speed Up Shut Down Time
A) Click on the download button below to download the file below.​
NOTE: This uses the 2 seconds (2000) setting. If you want shutdown to wait for a different amount of seconds, then do the manual method below.
2_Second_Shutdown.reg
download

B) Go to step 3.​

2. To Restore Default Shut Down Time
A) Click on the download button below to download the file below.​
NOTE: The default time is 20 seconds (20000).
Default_Shutdown.reg
download

3. Click on Save, and save the .reg file to the Desktop.​
4. Right click on the downloaded .reg file and click Merge.​
5. Click on Run, Continue (UAC), Yes, and then OK when prompted.​
6. When done, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.​

METHOD TWO
Manually in Registry Editor

1. Open the Start Menu.​
2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.​
3. If prompted by UAC, then click on Continue.​
4. In regedit, navigate to the location below. (See screenshot below)​
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

5. In right pane, right click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout and click Modify.​
Reg.jpg

6. Type in a number between 2000-20000 (2-20 seconds) and click OK. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: The default time is 20000. I use 2000 and have not had any problems. Your experience may vary.
Modify.jpg

7. Close regedit.​
NOTE: If you have problems with your computer shutting down to quickly with the value you set in step 6, then repeat step 6 above to increase the time until Vista does shutdown properly.
That's it,
Shawn

Last edited:
Shawn Brink

Comments

I seen this tweak at another site, except that person suggested putting the value at 200. I seen your note at the bottom of the page and decided to try it at 2000. It shaved off 123 seconds off my reboot time. I sure am glad I found this site, thanks.

Hi Carolina,
Welcome to the board.
The time is specified in ms, so 200 seems a bit short;)
2000 is a fair timeout but it is true that it depends of your configuration, for example i setup timeout at 5000 on one of my computers.

Sidney,

for the clarification and edification of our users, can you explain that a bit more - as in what factors one must take into account to determine an appropriate value, or else what one should do in terms of testing for an 'optimal' value?

Hi john,

It's just a matter of trial and error for testing what is appropriate for you. This time is for how much time any running programs have to properly close on their own before Vista forces them to close and then shutdown the computer.

If you close everything like I do before shuttingdown, then 2000 is usually fine. If you find that you are getting the whatever program is still running screen at shutdown with the option to close or cancel, then increase the time.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Hi Eldron, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Are you logged into an administrator account when doing this?

Amaaaaaaaazing ! really I mean this really helpful but as you said must save before cause there will be no time to close ^^

Thanks for the guide mate!

There was one i did , and I'm pretty sure it was from your site.
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched
it removes the default 20% bandwidth that Vista uses for example (update downloads), so I removed that , and now i have all 100% DL speed dedicated for other stuff...big difference.

Can you link me to this?
I need it for a friend of mine, then I'll link him to it and register for this great site of yours.

Hello everyone !!! :D
Nice Forum and nice guids Gratz Guys!!! Keep going :)
Well I downloaded The Reg ... I Press To emerge It Then The Pop Up windows Appears i Hit the run Button And the It opens In Notpad :S what i have done wrong??
ohh also when i tried running some scripts the same things happens why ?

Hello Antonyua,

It sounds like you have .reg files associated to open with Notepad by mistake. You can fix this in Default Programs by changing the Current Default program for the .reg file types back to Registry Editor (C:\Windows\regedit.exe). Afterwards, you should be able to merge the .reg download file from here.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Ok Thank You !!! :D
But for the Scripts The file Extension .vbs To Open With What Program Because it opens with notepad again :D

LOL, you're welcome.

.vbs opens with Microsoft (R) Windows Based Script Host (C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe) as the default program. ;)

My shut down time is more than 3 mins, what could be causing this?

Its not updates because they are turned off, any ideas ?

If there is any information you need to help me figure out what the problem is just tell me what you need, thanks

Last edited:
Hello Danielson,

Do you have anything running when shutting down the computer? You can check in Task Manager to see what is running before you shutdown.

Did you already do this tutorial? Did it help any at all?

In the mean time, you can use this shutdown shortcut that forces an instant shutdown until you find what program is causing the hang-up at shutdown.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn