sleep mode & internet connectivity issue solved!

S

sander0501

I have upgraded my Dell Dimension 9200 in March to Vista Ultimate and have
had the same issue as many, many others....recovering from sleep mode the
connection to internet was gone; only a full boot/restart solved the problem.
I have used the driver update for the NIC (intel 82566dc) via the device
manager (the driver was a 2006 version) and no better driver was
found...tried to change the power mode settings, nothing...tried to upgrade
the Netgear DG834B v2 router driver, again nothing....I was at the point of
buying a new NIC card as suggested by some and to go for a new Vista 'uPnP'
capable router (again as suggested by many) until today!

I have found a set of drivers for the intel NIC on the intel download
center:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...it+version&lang=eng&strOSs=156&submit=Go!#FRM

Filename 'Network Adapter Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista* (32-bit)
[PROVISTA32.EXE] (11387KB) 12.1 dated 4/30/2007.

Seems that this package contains Vista drivers for a lot of NIC series, and
is very easy to use, just click and the wizard does it all. Guess what?
Problem fixed! After sleep mode or hibernation, no problem anymore with
connectivity and even better, the device manager for the network adapter has
some cool additional features to test your RJ-line etc.!!!

After 3 months of upgrades, updates etc. I think I now have a 'all singing,
all dancing' computer with Vista!




----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...osoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
 

My Computer

F

---Fitz---

Thanks for the link. The same problem was driving me nuts. I've downloaded
and installed and I'll see if it works.

"sander0501" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have upgraded my Dell Dimension 9200 in March to Vista Ultimate and have
> had the same issue as many, many others....recovering from sleep mode the
> connection to internet was gone; only a full boot/restart solved the
> problem.
> I have used the driver update for the NIC (intel 82566dc) via the device
> manager (the driver was a 2006 version) and no better driver was
> found...tried to change the power mode settings, nothing...tried to
> upgrade
> the Netgear DG834B v2 router driver, again nothing....I was at the point
> of
> buying a new NIC card as suggested by some and to go for a new Vista
> 'uPnP'
> capable router (again as suggested by many) until today!
>
> I have found a set of drivers for the intel NIC on the intel download
> center:
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...it+version&lang=eng&strOSs=156&submit=Go!#FRM
>
> Filename 'Network Adapter Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista* (32-bit)
> [PROVISTA32.EXE] (11387KB) 12.1 dated 4/30/2007.
>
> Seems that this package contains Vista drivers for a lot of NIC series,
> and
> is very easy to use, just click and the wizard does it all. Guess what?
> Problem fixed! After sleep mode or hibernation, no problem anymore with
> connectivity and even better, the device manager for the network adapter
> has
> some cool additional features to test your RJ-line etc.!!!
>
> After 3 months of upgrades, updates etc. I think I now have a 'all
> singing,
> all dancing' computer with Vista!
>
>
>
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
> this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...osoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
 

My Computer

F

---Fitz---

And....it works fine.

"---Fitz---" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> Thanks for the link. The same problem was driving me nuts. I've
> downloaded and installed and I'll see if it works.
>
> "sander0501" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>I have upgraded my Dell Dimension 9200 in March to Vista Ultimate and have
>> had the same issue as many, many others....recovering from sleep mode the
>> connection to internet was gone; only a full boot/restart solved the
>> problem.
>> I have used the driver update for the NIC (intel 82566dc) via the device
>> manager (the driver was a 2006 version) and no better driver was
>> found...tried to change the power mode settings, nothing...tried to
>> upgrade
>> the Netgear DG834B v2 router driver, again nothing....I was at the point
>> of
>> buying a new NIC card as suggested by some and to go for a new Vista
>> 'uPnP'
>> capable router (again as suggested by many) until today!
>>
>> I have found a set of drivers for the intel NIC on the intel download
>> center:
>> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...it+version&lang=eng&strOSs=156&submit=Go!#FRM
>>
>> Filename 'Network Adapter Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista* (32-bit)
>> [PROVISTA32.EXE] (11387KB) 12.1 dated 4/30/2007.
>>
>> Seems that this package contains Vista drivers for a lot of NIC series,
>> and
>> is very easy to use, just click and the wizard does it all. Guess what?
>> Problem fixed! After sleep mode or hibernation, no problem anymore with
>> connectivity and even better, the device manager for the network adapter
>> has
>> some cool additional features to test your RJ-line etc.!!!
>>
>> After 3 months of upgrades, updates etc. I think I now have a 'all
>> singing,
>> all dancing' computer with Vista!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ----------------
>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> "I
>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> this
>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...osoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

>
>
 

My Computer

ozsurfer

New Member
I had a very similar problem. Purchased a Dell Dimension 9200 in May 2007 with Windows Ultimate OS. From Day 1 when recovering from Sleep Mode the ethernet-cable connection to the Dynalink RTA1025W modem/router was always lost. Of course the internet connection at the router itself was never lost, only the Network Adapter connection to the router itself.

Initially this required the computer to be rebooted every time, incredibly annoying for a new system. Various Vista updates seemed to hold hope but none delivered.

Vista could not work out a solution with its own Diagnostics, until one day it (correctly as it turned out) suggested that the Network Adapter needed to be 'reset'. This then became the workaround - enabling the Adapter through the Device Manger Local Area Connection Status for the Network Adapter. Sometimes I would have to "disable" the Adapter so that it could then be "enabled" to get the connection.

The Dell Support site listed the 'latest' driver for the Network Adapter as the file R142352.EXE but this had a 2006 date, well prior to the consumer release of Vista. This driver was also the one recommended by Dell Support as recently as this week.

However, many thanks to sander0501 I found the complete listing for the updated Intel Network Adapter drivers for vista (32 bit) at

Network Connectivity Network Adapter Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista* (32-bit)

The current version of PROVISTA32.EXE is dated 10 July 2007 (or is that 7 October 2007 depending on how you view your dates) and listed as Version 12.2.

In any case I have been using it for several days now and it seems to have solved the Sleep/Network Adapter problem. I will re-post if this does not continue.

It's unfortunate that Dell Support seemed to be so behind the times on this one, I had used the old driver from their support site long ago and of course it didn't fix the problem. Their next recommendation was to be a Clean Install of Vista (arghh-h!).

The PROVISTA32.EXE driver suite has not solved my final major problem with Vista Ultimate. When the auto power option puts (or purports to put) the system into a low power state (which is current listed in the Power Options as Sleep mode), it often does not recover from this, leaving the screen blank and the PC doing nothing. The longer the PC is left after this, the more likely it seems to happen. The only solution is to power-off the PC at the power button and start again (arghh-h!). As you can imagine, the combination of these two problems - Sleep Mode/Network-Adapter and Auto Power Option/Non-recovery - has driven me spare since system purchase five months ago.


=========================================================
 

My Computer

SeanSF

New Member
I would just like to extend my many thanks to sander0501 for his resolution on this issue. This has been driving me crazy for at least two years (during which time, I just stopped looking and kept my computer on all the time). My billable time and my energy bill thank you as well!
 

My Computer

R

Robbie

What was it I have that problem also.
Robbie
"SeanSF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> I would just like to extend my many thanks to sander0501 for his
> resolution on this issue. This has been driving me crazy for at least
> two years (during which time, I just stopped looking and kept my
> computer on all the time). My billable time and my energy bill thank you
> as well!
>
>
> --
> SeanSF
 

My Computer

SeanSF

New Member
Robbie, the sleep/standby mode issue in Vista, for me at least, was due to the driver used by my Intel NIC on my Dell Dimension 9200. Peruse the threads of this posting and find the link sander0501 posts to get a app from Intel that will update the features and capabilities of that NIC. This should resolve your issue, if your conditions are like mine. Either way, look into the driver for your NIC just in case. If, when you come out of standby, your computer is 'unauthenticated' but your can get it to re-authenticate by diabling and enabling your NIC, then the variable in this issue is likley your NIC/NIC driver.
 

My Computer

R

Robbie

Thank you...
"SeanSF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> Robbie, the sleep/standby mode issue in Vista, for me at least, was due
> to the driver used by my Intel NIC on my Dell Dimension 9200. Peruse the
> threads of this posting and find the link sander0501 posts to get a app
> from Intel that will update the features and capabilities of that NIC.
> This should resolve your issue, if your conditions are like mine. Either
> way, look into the driver for your NIC just in case. If, when you come
> out of standby, your computer is 'unauthenticated' but your can get it
> to re-authenticate by diabling and enabling your NIC, then the variable
> in this issue is likley your NIC/NIC driver.
>
>
> --
> SeanSF
 

My Computer

Top