SMS Compatibility

Epileptick

New Member
Hey there kids, :cool:

I have been pulling so much hair out lately trying to find a 100% FREE, Canadian compatible, SMS from PC (and/or Jailbroken iPhone) as well as receive SMS to PC.

My idea program would be exactly like a messenger application for any PC OS (and iPhone too) but instead of inputting an email address to add a friend - that's right kids...you put the phone number! Cool eh? ...Too bad no one else thinks so. Or thinks it's cool enough to create this app for us.

You're probably thinking "that's great but why post that here epi?" and then I would answer; ....well you see MSN live messenger is the ONLY app that says you can send SMS and it actually does. But it doesn't work 50% of the time and even if you import your contacts to the iPhone messenger live app you don't can't add/see/use phone numbers in any way.

I have 3 major questions regarding this mess of a situation:

- How does the core mechanics for sending/receiving SMS through messenger work? I know that some apps use email extensions that some providers have implemented into a unique email/phone number hybrid-type address. Is this what msn uses? Or even better yet...just tell me how the heck I can do this, even if it's using another application. (keep in mind I'm in Canada)

- Is there a way to SMS through the iphone app and I just didn't realize it?

- Is Messenger open source? Because if it is or I can get a version that is....since I'm positive that it's possible to make all this work, I am sure I can get someone to code an add-on that will do it.

Since you can send SMS half the time, that tells me it's certainly possible to do this...which is why I am not giving up. However I still don't understand why there are hundreds of apps that claim to do this and do not do it. I can understand if cellphone providers didn't like it so they hired a team of hackers go search the internet for apps so they can sabotage them and go back to controlling communications like the mean blood sucking vampires most corporations have shown us they can be...

But that isn't the case because I have tried so many of these apps I should have gotten one by now.

Last thing I want to write is my progress so far for the people who are in the same boat as me. There is an iphone app that again sometimes will work for Canada and it's free of course (or I wouldn't talk about it) called TextPLUS. You don't even need your phone to be jailbroken to use it! I am betting that it uses the same type of architecture messenger live uses because the messages fail about the same % of uses. And lastly, like I mentioned before, there are email address extensions you can put a phone number into for each provider but I don't like that because you can't remember all the addresses for each provider on the fly even if they all supported it (which they don't anyway).

Sorry for the long post....I get carried away sometimes.

- [epileptick]
 

My Computer

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings,

Messenger's SMS functionality goes through Windows Live Mobile. Microsoft negotiates and
customizes with each provider to deliver SMS alerts and Messenger which is why it usually
works a bit differently in each market and in some cases, different with every provider in
the same market.

In some markets, Microsoft has even attempted to try and get people to purchase SMS credit
through Messenger and not allow free texts like they do in North America.

Live Mobile is also notorious for being unavailable for weeks at a time or unavailable to
certain providers for brief periods.

If you ask me, your best bet is to get a Google Voice number and just use that. You'll need
a US-based number, but that isn't that difficult to obtain nowadays (or ask an American
friend).

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--


"Epileptick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> Hey there kids, :cool:
>
> I have been pulling so much hair out lately trying to find a 100% FREE,
> Canadian compatible, SMS from PC (and/or Jailbroken iPhone) as well as
> receive SMS to PC.
>
> My idea program would be exactly like a messenger application for any PC
> OS (and iPhone too) but instead of inputting an email address to add a
> friend - that's right kids...you put the phone number! Cool eh? ...Too
> bad no one else thinks so. Or thinks it's cool enough to create this
> app for us.
>
> You're probably thinking "that's great but why post that here epi?" and
> then I would answer; ....well you see MSN live messenger is the ONLY app
> that says you can send SMS and it actually does. But it doesn't work
> 50% of the time and even if you import your contacts to the iPhone
> messenger live app you don't can't add/see/use phone numbers in any way.
>
>
> I have 3 major questions regarding this mess of a situation:
>
> - How does the core mechanics for sending/receiving SMS through
> messenger work? I know that some apps use email extensions that some
> providers have implemented into a unique email/phone number hybrid-type
> address. Is this what msn uses? Or even better yet...just tell me how
> the heck I can do this, even if it's using another application. (keep
> in mind I'm in Canada)
>
> - Is there a way to SMS through the iphone app and I just didn't realize
> it?
>
> - Is Messenger open source? Because if it is or I can get a version
> that is....since I'm positive that it's possible to make all this work,
> I am sure I can get someone to code an add-on that will do it.
>
> Since you can send SMS half the time, that tells me it's certainly
> possible to do this...which is why I am not giving up. However I still
> don't understand why there are hundreds of apps that claim to do this
> and do not do it. I can understand if cellphone providers didn't like
> it so they hired a team of hackers go search the internet for apps so
> they can sabotage them and go back to controlling communications like
> the mean blood sucking vampires most corporations have shown us they can
> be...
>
> But that isn't the case because I have tried so many of these apps I
> should have gotten one by now.
>
> Last thing I want to write is my progress so far for the people who are
> in the same boat as me. There is an iphone app that again -sometimes
> -will work for Canada and it's free of course (or I wouldn't talk about
> it) called TextPLUS. You don't even need your phone to be jailbroken to
> use it! I am betting that it uses the same type of architecture
> messenger live uses because the messages fail about the same % of uses.
> And lastly, like I mentioned before, there are email address extensions
> you can put a phone number into for each provider but I don't like that
> because you can't remember all the addresses for each provider on the
> fly even if they all supported it (which they don't anyway).
>
> Sorry for the long post....I get carried away sometimes.
>
> - [epileptick]
>
>
> --
> Epileptick
 

My Computer

Epileptick

New Member
First off I would like to say thank you for the detailed response! That is more than I expected from anyone, however....you aren't just anyone! You are a blogger who I give credit to!

In response,
I am a Google prophet at heart so I love the idea of having a Google voice account....but I live in Canada...so wouldn't every text I send be long distance and wouldn't I be charged?

In your experience do you think it would be worth the cost?

I don't remember if I mentioned it above, but I don't have a phone. I stopped paying my bill because rogers wouldn't give me a break in the period I lost my job. Since I am already bankrupt I warned them that it wouldn't affect me and they would be better off letting me put my subscription on hold while I was jobless. But they tried to call a bluff that didn't exist and now we both lost.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is that - I need a phone. I have an iphone I'm currently using textPLUS to text people on and it works most of the time. I wouldn't mind paying for a VoIP service like Google Talk and getting a phone number but I don't want it to cost people long distance when they call me.

Can you please give me your best advice with the above parameters? I would really appreciate it! I am going to cross my fingers that you say having an american number won't be as bad as I think.

I'm going to go read some of your blogs now, later! :)

- [epileptick]

"...some call themselves hackers because they speak in binary and type code instead of clicking a mouse....and some think that *hacking* is no more complicated than typing a question into Google...."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Top