SP1 shows I have 8GB of memory instead of my 1GB

JuanLuis3

This problem still is not solved!!!

Well, I did installed SP1 today. Everything (the installation) went fine! After it finished, I checked again the WU and got the update for my Realtek AC'97 which I was trying to avoid. Although, I ended up installing it because I read somewhere that it needed to be updated for the SP1. Now, this update (Realtek) doesn't fixed anything since now every time I right-click on the little speaker and select Playback/Recording Devices then I get a message with: "Windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems: Realtek blah, blah, blah..." :confused: Can anybody explain that?

But now, the real good one, I have only 1GB of memory but when I go into the properties of the computer, then it tells me that I have 8GB installed... :shock: Don't I wish!!! So, I thought, hmmm, maybe if I remove the 1GB and try only 512MB then Vista will recognize its mistake. Well, guess what, I got then instead 4GB available showing on the properties... Strange! Very strange, I thought to myself... :rolleyes: Funny is that the task manager shows the correct amount of memory!

Have any of you had such a situation too??? I did already an uninstall of the SP1 which came from the WU and installed the one from the download link in Microsoft website. But, as you guess, it made no difference...

Any comments and/or suggestions will be more than welcome... Thanks!!!

sys_task.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

It must be that SP1 is making a much more efficient use of your memory!:)

It would be interesting to see how much virtual memory Vista is allocating based upon this memory reading. Try CPUZ to verify the actual amount of memory Vista is picking up. Sorry I can't be of more help.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD 945
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 6770
It must be that SP1 is making a much more efficient use of your memory!:)

It would be interesting to see how much virtual memory Vista is allocating based upon this memory reading. Try CPUZ to verify the actual amount of memory Vista is picking up. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for trying to help PaulGo... Well, now the problem is FIX!!! Knock on wood 3 times... :zip:

What I did... I uninstall the problematic Realtek driver provided by the MS WU (I think it's version 6.0.1.6283) and instead installed the v.6.0.1.6280 offered at the Realtek site. Specially since at the MS Read Knowledge Base Articles 948187 "Method for Cause 5" says that the driver needs to be updated if one have version 6.0.1.6242 or earlier

Well, after rebooting, I checked the system properties again and... :party: Ah... now I am happy...

I most add that yes, one can see some improvements on the way Vista now behaves... I just hope that this improvement last for a while long... since I still have to try all of my other software...

System Properties with now 1.00 GB
scrnsht_memfixed.jpg

CPU-Z
cpu-z.jpg

Realtek Driver Version
realtek6280.jpg

My Computer

Hi JuanLuis3

Glad you got it resolved

Are those picture attachments into your post?

How did you get the images attached to your post?

Thanks
Brian

My Computer

Hi JuanLuis3

Glad you got it resolved

Are those picture attachments into your post?

How did you get the images attached to your post?

Thanks
Brian

Hi and thanks... Yes, those are pictures on my post... They are not attached but linked to a different site. I use personally the website at Photobucket since it is the easiest way to copy the photo's link in here.

Last edited:

My Computer

Well, I guess I celebrated my victory too early! And not even knocking on wood three times helped... Cuz now the 8GB are showing again.... :confused:

CPU-Z and the Task Manager are still showing that I have 1GB. Only the System Properties shows 8GB. Well, I am still open for any suggestions cuz I really have no idea what to do...

My Computer

Back