SP2 installation problem in Home Premium 32bit - Arabic language pack?

xarathos

Hi, all, I've been browsing this forum off and on hunting for solutions to my many troubles with Vista over the last several months, and I've finally had one that no one else seems to be having or solving.

For background, I am running Home Premium 32bit on an HP laptop with SP1 currently installed.

When I try to install Vista SP2 from my primary account (I am the system administrator) it informs me that 'Installation was not successful' due to to a 'system error'. It then instructs me to run the "Check for System Update Readiness" tool (CheckSUR?) to attempt to solve the problem, which I have tried, several times. Not counting the time I installed it back in April when it first was released. The error code in question was TRUST_E_NOSIGNATURE(0x800b0100).

I have run through the entire list of options to try on the Microsoft official help page, and have begun to try a few other things in order to solve the problem. Most recently, I attempted to install the service pack from Safe Mode, where it informed me that the REAL problem was that I have a language pack installed that is not supported. This confuses me, because I don't recall ever installing the Arabic language pack, have certainly never been to Saudi Arabia, and don't speak or read Arabic. The only language pack that shows up in the list of installed language packs when I run LPKSETUP (as suggested on another thread here) is English. :confused:

Though this WOULD undoubtedly explain why I've been seeing an optional update in my Windows Update dialog for Arabic language support for the Windows Help. :sarc: Needless to say I hid the update, but it hasn't changed anything, either.

Out of desperation I have even attempted to remove all the folders marked ar-SA from the Windows folder, but this hasn't seemed to affect anything - the service pack still won't install, and still gives the same error. :mad:

So, you know what I've tried, and something of what the problem is. The other issue I've been having which may or may not be related is that my "Turn Windows Features on or off" dialog shows up blank. Much to my annoyance. But that's likely an issue for another thread. And, as it does not appear in Windows Update, I have been trying to install SP2 from the Standalone installer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - and thank you in advance.

My Computer

Is there anyone out there who can help me? I'm still struggling with the problem, and as Vista has been rather buggy for me lately I've started experimenting with Explorer alternatives. This has helped, amazingly, and quite a bit, but it's still only a stopgap measure. I need SP2, and the many fabled fixes it brings.

Still getting the same "due to a system error" message from my full boot. Should I try Safemode again, or is that just going to give me the same issue about the language pack? Does anyone know a way to get rid of one of those things?

Or should I just be waiting for the multi-language installation of SP2 in the hopes that that will work? Considering that I only have English listed as installed, though, that seems like a sad option. . .

My Computer

Well, this is frustrating. I've even tried the download that was intended to solve this problem for SP1 way back when - can't remember the KB number. No luck. Still throwing the same message. Anyone out there know how to solve this?

My Computer

Back