• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

System.Int64 WorkingSet {get;}

B

bluefin

#1
The abovementioned is one of the definitions found in
System.Environment class.

See the following PS code:
Code:
PS R:\> [environment]::WorkingSet
12578816
Q1. 'WorkingSet' is a static property in technical term. What is the
meaning of 'WorkingSet' in layman term?
Q2. The result shows '12578816', which I think it is in terms of
bytes, but what does it refer to?

cheers
 

My Computer

F

Flowering Weeds

#2

>
> PS R:\> [environment]::WorkingSet
> 12578816

>
> Q1. 'WorkingSet' is a static property in technical term. What is the
> meaning of 'WorkingSet' in layman term?
> Q2. The result shows '12578816', which I think it is in terms of
> bytes, but what does it refer to?
>
PS> (get-process -id $pid).workingset
14426112

PS> [environment]::WorkingSet
14434304

PS> [environment]::WorkingSet / 1024
14104

PS> (get-process -id $pid).workingset / 1024
14236

PS> get-process -id $pid

Handles NPM(K) PM(K) WS(K) VM(M) CPU(s) Id ProcessName
------- ------ ----- ----- ----- ------ -- -----------
776 5 37080 14364 126 2.14 3244 powershell

"Environment::WorkingSet" - Live Search
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q="Environment::WorkingSet"

Remember, Windows PowerShell is a
Windows admin's automation tool (now
GUI based).
 

My Computer

B

bluefin

#3
Thanks for quick response. According to your get-process status, WS
isn't the same as WorkingSet, or else what? What is the definition of
WS? Appreciated if you could explain the difference between WS Int32
and Int64.

Cheers

On Dec 13, 11:55 pm, "Flowering Weeds" <n...@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > PS R:\> [environment]::WorkingSet
> > 12578816
>

> > Q1. 'WorkingSet' is a static property in technical term. What is the
> > meaning of 'WorkingSet' in layman term?
> > Q2. The result shows '12578816', which I think it is in terms of
> > bytes, but what does it refer to?
>
> PS> (get-process -id $pid).workingset
> 14426112
>
> PS> [environment]::WorkingSet
> 14434304
>
> PS> [environment]::WorkingSet / 1024
> 14104
>
> PS> (get-process -id $pid).workingset / 1024
> 14236
>
> PS> get-process -id $pid
>
> Handles  NPM(K)    PM(K)      WS(K) VM(M)   CPU(s)     Id ProcessName
> -------  ------    -----      ----- -----   ------     -- -----------
>     776       5    37080      14364   126     2..14   3244 powershell
>
> "Environment::WorkingSet" - Live Searchhttp://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=%22Environment%3A%3AWorkingSet%22
>
> Remember, Windows PowerShell is a
> Windows admin's automation tool (now
> GUI based).
 

My Computer

T

Thomas Lee

#4
In message
<046374a6-b032-4843-a6b2-dc0d9ae2ae4e@xxxxxx>,
bluefin <desertcamel.chen@xxxxxx> writes

>The abovementioned is one of the definitions found in
>System.Environment class.
>
>See the following PS code:
>
Code:
>PS R:\> [environment]::WorkingSet
>12578816
>
>
>Q1. 'WorkingSet' is a static property in technical term. What is the
>meaning of 'WorkingSet' in layman term?
>Q2. The result shows '12578816', which I think it is in terms of
>bytes, but what does it refer to?
In a virtual memory system (which include Windows), a process has a
large virtual memory space, but often much/some of that virtual memory
is not actually in use. The part of the virtual memory that is in
physical memory is the working set.

Windows constantly attempts to trim the working set (freeing up
physical memory for other processes). Sometimes the aspplication
running in the process does not need the page(s) that the memory manager
just trimmed. Other times, the application does need the page(s) and
take the pages back.

Hope this makes sense.

Thomas
--
Thomas Lee
doctordns@xxxxxx
 

My Computer

B

bluefin

#5
Thanks for your effort to explain complex thing in plain English. I
prefer explanation in this way, rather than with codes.

Thomas Lee wrote: '... The part of the virtual memory that is in
physical memory is the working set.'

Thus, the WS is referenced to physical memory, not program memory just
what jvierra replied in scriptinganswers.com

Hope not offending anyone


On Dec 14, 9:30 am, Thomas Lee <t...@xxxxxx> wrote:

> In message
> <046374a6-b032-4843-a6b2-dc0d9ae2a...@xxxxxx>,
> bluefin <desertcamel.c...@xxxxxx> writes
>

> >The abovementioned is one of the definitions found in
> >System.Environment class.
>

> >See the following PS code:
> >
Code:
> >PS R:\> [environment]::WorkingSet
> >12578816
> >
>

> >Q1. 'WorkingSet' is a static property in technical term. What is the
> >meaning of 'WorkingSet' in layman term?
> >Q2. The result shows '12578816', which I think it is in terms of
> >bytes, but what does it refer to?
>
> In a virtual memory system (which include Windows), a process has a
> large virtual memory space, but often much/some of that virtual memory
> is not actually in use. The part of the virtual memory that is in
> physical memory is the working set.
>
> Windows constantly attempts to  trim the working set (freeing up
> physical memory for other processes). Sometimes  the aspplication
> running in the process does not need the page(s) that the memory manager
> just trimmed. Other times, the application does need the page(s) and
> take the pages back.
>
> Hope this makes sense.
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Lee
> doctor...@xxxxxx
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)