- How to Change the System Restore Disk Space Usage Amount in Vista
This will show you how to change the System Restore (Shadow Copy) maximum disk space usage from the default 15 % of you hard drive volume to what you want it to be instead, and to see how much space is being used.
- If you shrink the available storage space for a selected drive, Vista will kick out the system restore points and backups on a first-in, first-out basis. The oldest restore point will be deleted as the new one is saved when out of available max space. This will, of course, leave you with fewer restore options.
- If you dual boot with Windows XP, then everytime you start in XP the System Restore Points and all except the most recent Complete PC Backup files in Vista get deleted. For how, see: How to Stop System Restore Points from being Deleted in Vista when Dual Booting with XP
This is the amount currently used on the hard disk.
This is the amount that it has reserved from the hard disk at this time.
This is the maximum amount it will allocate and use from the hard disk.
NOTE: If you disable or enable System Restore for a selected drive, the original default values will be set back and the restore points will be deleted. For how, see: How to Disable or Enable System Restore in Vista.
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=[B][COLOR=red]3GB[/COLOR][/B]
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=D: /On=D: /Maxsize=[B][COLOR=red]3GB[/COLOR][/B]
The For volume: listed. (Ex: C or D above)
The Shadow Copy Storage volume: listed. (Ex: C or D above)
What you want to limit the maximum storage size of Shadow Copies (restore points) to. For example, # + GB or MB (Ex: 3GB or 3MB) This must be 1MB or larger.
- How to Create a System Restore Shortcut in Vista
- How to Create a Create System Restore Point Shortcut in Vista
- How to Create a System Restore Point in Vista
- How to Undo the Last System Restore in Vista
- How to Do a System Restore in Vista
- How to Turn System Restore On or Off in Vista
- How to Use Disk Cleanup in Vista
- How to Restore Previous Versions of a File and Folder in Vista
- How to Stop System Restore Points from being Deleted in Vista when Dual Booting with XP
- How to Change the Automatic System Restore Point Settings in Vista Task Scheduler
- How to Enable or Disable Create Vista System Restore Point when New Device Driver is Installed
- How to Enable or Disable Create Vista System Restore Point when a Application is Installed