Task Scheduler error

R

Rick

A long time ago I scheduled a task to load up a certain
utility at 7 am. However, I've just realized it never
gets loaded. I went into Task Scheduler to see what's
going on, and as it opened I get this error:

"An error has occured for task Reminders - owner. Error
message: the specified account name is not valid"

I'm looking at my task and I see that "When running a
task, use the following user account" is set to "RICK
\owner". I'm not sure how to check if that's a valid
account name. I don't log on to my computer with a
username or password. Thanks for any help.
 

My Computer

D

Dave-UK

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> A long time ago I scheduled a task to load up a certain
> utility at 7 am. However, I've just realized it never
> gets loaded. I went into Task Scheduler to see what's
> going on, and as it opened I get this error:
>
> "An error has occured for task Reminders - owner. Error
> message: the specified account name is not valid"
>
> I'm looking at my task and I see that "When running a
> task, use the following user account" is set to "RICK
> \owner". I'm not sure how to check if that's a valid
> account name. I don't log on to my computer with a
> username or password. Thanks for any help.
Try entering just your account name or ' administrators ' or ' system '.
 

My Computer

R

Rick

Thanks. I'm making sure to load Task Scheduler as
Administrator. I created a new task to load my small
program using user name SYSTEM but it still fails. In
the log I see "Action failed to start".

I see other tasks with user name 'owner' have worked but
I can't figure out how to enter that as the account
name. If I click on 'Change Owner or Group' and enter
'owner' it comes back as RICK\owner since it's starting
at location 'RICK'.

Not sure how to just enter my account name which I guess
is RICK. 'Adminstrator' and 'administors' are not
valid.

Any help would be appreciated!



In article <r-
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>
> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > A long time ago I scheduled a task to load up a certain
> > utility at 7 am. However, I've just realized it never
> > gets loaded. I went into Task Scheduler to see what's
> > going on, and as it opened I get this error:
> >
> > "An error has occured for task Reminders - owner. Error
> > message: the specified account name is not valid"
> >
> > I'm looking at my task and I see that "When running a
> > task, use the following user account" is set to "RICK
> > \owner". I'm not sure how to check if that's a valid
> > account name. I don't log on to my computer with a
> > username or password. Thanks for any help.
>
> Try entering just your account name or ' administrators ' or ' system '.
>
>
>
 

My Computer

D

Dave-UK

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Thanks. I'm making sure to load Task Scheduler as
> Administrator. I created a new task to load my small
> program using user name SYSTEM but it still fails. In
> the log I see "Action failed to start".
>
> I see other tasks with user name 'owner' have worked but
> I can't figure out how to enter that as the account
> name. If I click on 'Change Owner or Group' and enter
> 'owner' it comes back as RICK\owner since it's starting
> at location 'RICK'.
>
> Not sure how to just enter my account name which I guess
> is RICK. 'Adminstrator' and 'administors' are not
> valid.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
>
To check your account name:
Right-click Computer > Manage > Local Users and Groups > Users.
Your account plus the Administrator account (which is disabled by default)
and any others will be listed here.
Double-click your account to check you are a member of the administrators group.

I created a task to run Calculator every day at 10:30 pm:
Start Task Scheduler
From the right pane 'Create basic task'
Name - Calculator, Description - whatever you want
Trigger - Daily
Start - 24/5/2010 22:30
Daily - recur every 1 days
Action - Start a program, browse to calc.exe
Select ' Open properties dialog for ..............'
Finish
The user account has my computer name\my account name listed.
In my case it's Vista32\Admin.
This works ok and Calculator appeared on the Desktop at 10:30 pm.
If you want your program to run in the background then click the change
user button and enter ' system '. The display will then read ' SYSTEM '.
The program will then run but not on your Desktop. You can check it's
running in the background via Task Manager.
If you enter ' administrators ' the display returns with ' BUILTIN\Administrators '.
 

My Computer

R

Rick

Great; thanks, I now have this one task working.

But I'm still getting that original error message
whenever I click on Task Scheduler (Local): "An error
has occured for task Reminders - owner. Error
message: the specified account name is not valid"

I'm guessing it must be from tasks already in there.
Out of 10 tasks already there three of them use account
'owner-PC\owner'. I'm guessing that's not a valid
account name on my machine. Maybe the root was 'owner-
PC' when I first got the machine, and then I must have
changed the root location from 'owner-PC' to 'RICK'.
This is probably a task left over from before I changed
it?

Should I try disabling those tasks?

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>
> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > Thanks. I'm making sure to load Task Scheduler as
> > Administrator. I created a new task to load my small
> > program using user name SYSTEM but it still fails. In
> > the log I see "Action failed to start".
> >
> > I see other tasks with user name 'owner' have worked but
> > I can't figure out how to enter that as the account
> > name. If I click on 'Change Owner or Group' and enter
> > 'owner' it comes back as RICK\owner since it's starting
> > at location 'RICK'.
> >
> > Not sure how to just enter my account name which I guess
> > is RICK. 'Adminstrator' and 'administors' are not
> > valid.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> >
>
> To check your account name:
> Right-click Computer > Manage > Local Users and Groups > Users.
> Your account plus the Administrator account (which is disabled by default)
> and any others will be listed here.
> Double-click your account to check you are a member of the administrators group.
>
> I created a task to run Calculator every day at 10:30 pm:
> Start Task Scheduler
> From the right pane 'Create basic task'
> Name - Calculator, Description - whatever you want
> Trigger - Daily
> Start - 24/5/2010 22:30
> Daily - recur every 1 days
> Action - Start a program, browse to calc.exe
> Select ' Open properties dialog for ..............'
> Finish
> The user account has my computer name\my account name listed.
> In my case it's Vista32\Admin.
> This works ok and Calculator appeared on the Desktop at 10:30 pm.
> If you want your program to run in the background then click the change
> user button and enter ' system '. The display will then read ' SYSTEM '.
> The program will then run but not on your Desktop. You can check it's
> running in the background via Task Manager.
> If you enter ' administrators ' the display returns with ' BUILTIN\Administrators '.
>
>
>
>
>
 

My Computer

R

Rick

Nah, there are seven tasks that load PCALUA.EXE with
various arguments. OK, I just deleted the three that
use account name 'owner-PC\owner' and I thought
everything was fixed. But still every time I open Task
Scheduler and then click on Task Scheduler (Local) on
the left I still get that error message.

I wonder what it's referring to with "task Reminders -
owner". I don't see any task with that name.

In article <zp6dnX-
[email protected]>, [email protected]
says...

>
> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > Great; thanks, I now have this one task working.
> >
> > But I'm still getting that original error message
> > whenever I click on Task Scheduler (Local): "An error
> > has occured for task Reminders - owner. Error
> > message: the specified account name is not valid"
> >
> > I'm guessing it must be from tasks already in there.
> > Out of 10 tasks already there three of them use account
> > 'owner-PC\owner'. I'm guessing that's not a valid
> > account name on my machine. Maybe the root was 'owner-
> > PC' when I first got the machine, and then I must have
> > changed the root location from 'owner-PC' to 'RICK'.
> > This is probably a task left over from before I changed
> > it?
> >
> > Should I try disabling those tasks?
> >
>
> Tasks already there ? Is it a second-hand machine or something ?
> If you don't want to run a task then yes, disable it.
>
>
>
>
 

My Computer

D

Dave-UK

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> Nah, there are seven tasks that load PCALUA.EXE with
> various arguments. OK, I just deleted the three that
> use account name 'owner-PC\owner' and I thought
> everything was fixed. But still every time I open Task
> Scheduler and then click on Task Scheduler (Local) on
> the left I still get that error message.
>
> I wonder what it's referring to with "task Reminders -
> owner". I don't see any task with that name.
>
>

Have you Googled the error text ?
It seems to be something to do with Windows Calendar.
Here's a couple I found:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/73934-phantom-task-windows-calendar.html
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/126557-task-scheduler-anyone.html
 

My Computer

R

Rick

In article <e9OdnelEkr-
[email protected]>, [email protected]
says...

>
> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> >
> > Nah, there are seven tasks that load PCALUA.EXE with
> > various arguments. OK, I just deleted the three that
> > use account name 'owner-PC\owner' and I thought
> > everything was fixed. But still every time I open Task
> > Scheduler and then click on Task Scheduler (Local) on
> > the left I still get that error message.
> >
> > I wonder what it's referring to with "task Reminders -
> > owner". I don't see any task with that name.
> >
> >
>
>
> Have you Googled the error text ?
> It seems to be something to do with Windows Calendar.
> Here's a couple I found:
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/73934-phantom-task-windows-calendar.html
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/126557-task-scheduler-anyone.html
>
THANK YOU! I found the answer in one of those posts.
The task "Reminders - owner" was some sort of ghost
task: it didn't show in the WindowsCalendar folder even
if I turned on "View Hidden Tasks". I had to go into
Windows Explorer and look into the directory and there
was a file by that name. I deleted the file and now I'm
fine. I guess since its account name was invalid, it
wouldn't show up in TS even though its presence was
enough to generate an error.

Now I have to figure out why instances of my new task
running in the last two days don't show up in the
History tab. But for now, I'm celebrating my victory.
Your help was much appreciated.
 

My Computer

D

Dave-UK

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:MPG.2667a6d1ac32050f9[email protected]

>
> In article <e9OdnelEkr-
> [email protected]>, [email protected]
> says...

>>
>> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>> >
>> > Nah, there are seven tasks that load PCALUA.EXE with
>> > various arguments. OK, I just deleted the three that
>> > use account name 'owner-PC\owner' and I thought
>> > everything was fixed. But still every time I open Task
>> > Scheduler and then click on Task Scheduler (Local) on
>> > the left I still get that error message.
>> >
>> > I wonder what it's referring to with "task Reminders -
>> > owner". I don't see any task with that name.
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> Have you Googled the error text ?
>> It seems to be something to do with Windows Calendar.
>> Here's a couple I found:
>> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/73934-phantom-task-windows-calendar.html
>> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/126557-task-scheduler-anyone.html
>>
> THANK YOU! I found the answer in one of those posts.
> The task "Reminders - owner" was some sort of ghost
> task: it didn't show in the WindowsCalendar folder even
> if I turned on "View Hidden Tasks". I had to go into
> Windows Explorer and look into the directory and there
> was a file by that name. I deleted the file and now I'm
> fine. I guess since its account name was invalid, it
> wouldn't show up in TS even though its presence was
> enough to generate an error.
>
> Now I have to figure out why instances of my new task
> running in the last two days don't show up in the
> History tab. But for now, I'm celebrating my victory.
> Your help was much appreciated.
Well done.
On a different topic, why does your newsreader delete
the poster's name from the headers when you reply?
 

My Computer

Top