• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Active Directory Domain Service is currently unavailable

S

Steve Clements

#1
I am on a Vista laptop, connected by wireless to an XP-Home (SP4) desktop.
Connected to the desktop is a Canon printer.
 

My Computer

S

Steve Clements

#2
Start Over: Active Directory Domain Service currently unavailable

Sorry. Start again.

I am on a Vista laptop, connected by wireless to an XP-Home (SP2) desktop,
which is connected to a Canon printer. The entire network is Cable Modem,
Wireless Router, Desktop and Printer (wired), Laptop (wireless).

There are three accounts on the laptop. All three are connected to the
internet via the wireless router. Two of them can print to the Canon printer,
but the third cannot.

I give that account Admin rights. I log on as that user. I select "Print"
from a Word document and the only "Printer" available is "Microsoft XPS
Document Write". I click "Find Printer", and I get the error message in the
subject line.

I compare this user's network connection settings to the other users. I
don't see any difference, but there are a lot of settings.

I go to Start/Network. I right-click on the Desktop and select Explore. I
right-click on SharedDocs and select Explore. I select "Desktop/Printers"
from the folder structure on the left, and the Canon printer and FAX appear
and say "Ready".

So it seems that the printer is visible to this user (as it is to the other
users), but this user can't print to it.

Ugh. Thanks. (And Thanks, Microsoft, for this support community thing.)
 

My Computer

R

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

#3
Re: Start Over: Active Directory Domain Service currently unavailable

Check this post.

Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=3875#3875

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"Steve Clements" <SteveClements@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:875DFE5A-0CA4-47A9-A466-ED10E24D08D3@xxxxxx

>
> Sorry. Start again.
>
> I am on a Vista laptop, connected by wireless to an XP-Home (SP2) desktop,
> which is connected to a Canon printer. The entire network is Cable Modem,
> Wireless Router, Desktop and Printer (wired), Laptop (wireless).
>
> There are three accounts on the laptop. All three are connected to the
> internet via the wireless router. Two of them can print to the Canon
> printer,
> but the third cannot.
>
> I give that account Admin rights. I log on as that user. I select "Print"
> from a Word document and the only "Printer" available is "Microsoft XPS
> Document Write". I click "Find Printer", and I get the error message in
> the
> subject line.
>
> I compare this user's network connection settings to the other users. I
> don't see any difference, but there are a lot of settings.
>
> I go to Start/Network. I right-click on the Desktop and select Explore. I
> right-click on SharedDocs and select Explore. I select "Desktop/Printers"
> from the folder structure on the left, and the Canon printer and FAX
> appear
> and say "Ready".
>
> So it seems that the printer is visible to this user (as it is to the
> other
> users), but this user can't print to it.
>
> Ugh. Thanks. (And Thanks, Microsoft, for this support community thing.)
>
>
 

My Computer

Lgbpop

New Member
Messages
4
Location
Fort Myers, Florida USA
#4
Re: Start Over: Active Directory Domain Service currently unavailable

Check this post.

Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable
chicagotech.net :: View topic - Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
Networking, VPN, TS, Remote Access and Internet Troubleshooting
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
Hi, I hope posting in this thread isn't a problem, as it's not really ancient yet. I'm getting the same problem and error message, using Vista Ultimate (32bit) and a Lexmark Z600 printer. The Vista install is one of four on my computer - the others are Win2000, WinXP Pro and PCLinuxOS. The printer works flawlessly on the other three operating systems.

In addition to the above error message when trying to copy a Word document, trying to copy a Notepad document returns the error message Handle Invalid. When I try the solution mentioned in the above Networking, VPN, TS, Remote Access and Internet Troubleshooting link, the Installing Printer window opens and the progress bar moves. It'll do that all night if allowed, but nothing happens and it won't time out.

Any other ideas, or is installing this just a fruitless project?
 

My Computer

harding

New Member
Messages
2
#6
Steve, my set up is exactly the same as yours, and i have yet to resolve the problem, have you sorted what needs to be done yet? If so, would be glad if you could let me know

harding
 

My Computer

HGT

New Member
Messages
2
#7
Steve, my set up is exactly the same as yours, and i have yet to resolve the problem, have you sorted what needs to be done yet? If so, would be glad if you could let me know

harding

Hi Folks,

Same problem with my setup...

Laptop with Vista Business 32bit, networked via ethernet onto XP Business computer on which Samsung SCX 4x16 multifunction Lazer is attached. Thing is - used to work before Christmas. It seems there's been a vista update and since then, problems.

Furthermore, when I take laptop home and network wirelessly to XP computer with HP Inkjet - it still works??

Hans.
 

My Computer

Messages
4
#11
Did you try adding the printer using Administrator privs? Just go to the Control Panel > Printers > Run As Administrator > Add Printer. This process gave me access to the network printer. Unfortunately, MS Word will not work at all if the network printer is setup as the default and not added by the administrator.
 
Last edited:

My Computer

Messages
10
#12
Did you try adding the printer using Administrator privs? Just go to the Control Panel > Printers > Run As Administrator > Add Printer. This process gave me access to the network printer. Unfortunately, MS Word will not work at all if the network printer is setup as the default and not added by the administrator.
SWEET! Worked for me. thanks.
 

My Computer

C

cinnamon

#13
I have been having the same problem and have spent hours on the phone
with Microsoft Support. They finally closed it as 'unresolved'. I
found this but don't see a 'Run As Administrator' option, just Control
Panel >Printers>Add Printer.

I completely uninstalled the printer - using both the remove programs
applet in the control panel, as well as manually deleting any files that
related to it and removing any references in the registry through
Regedit. Note that one of the solutions considered was to actually
install the printer drivers, etc. locally even though I was accessing it
on the Network.

I reinstalled on the Network only and still never found the 'Run As
Administrator' option. Note that I AM the Administrator on this machine.
How do I get to this?

Thanks

umbrellasys;3871872 Wrote:

> Did you try adding the printer using Administrator privs? Just go to
> the
> Control Panel > Printers > Run As Administrator > Add Printer. This
> process allowed me print on the network printer. Unfortunately, MS
> Word
> will not work at all if the network printer is setup as the default
> and
> was not added by the administrator.
>
>
> --
> umbrellasys

--
cinnamon
------------------------------------------------------------------------
cinnamon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/cinnamon.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/865372.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

Lgbpop

New Member
Messages
4
Location
Fort Myers, Florida USA
#14
Go to Control Panel | Printers and right-click on Add Printer; select Run as Administrator.

Having administrative-level privileges on your user account isn't the same thing as using your administrator account - Administrator is a separate user account. I haven't tried using that in Vista yet, but in XP you log in in Safe Mode to access the Administrator account.
 

My Computer

brujita

New Member
Messages
1
#15
Hello everybody

I have the same problem as yours.

First, I connect my computer by wireless. In my house we have 4 computers: 3 Mac and 1 Windows. The wireless network is from the Mac computers.
When I go to Start, Network, I can see the Computer's name in which the wireless come from. Then I want to use their printer that is a HP PHOTOMASTER 2006 SERIES, but it ask me for password and user name, which I have both, but it doesn't work. The other 3 computer that are Mac work perfectly by the wireless and so they can print just while the main computer is sharing it. The main computer is allow to share the printer always.

Second, I also when I try to find printers from the Microsoft Word the message in discussion of the forum comes out unallowing to find the wireless printer.

I have to questions:

1. Do you think I can use the printer of this wireless that comes from a Mac computer? How can I do it?

2. How can I eliminate the XPS Microsoft Office printer? I have tried to unset it as a default but it doesn't work?

In adition, I don't know if I have to install the software of the HP photosmart 2006 in my Windows computer first, then I could print by it using the wireless.

Could someone help me, please? This is driving me crazy.
 

My Computer

G

Gotbier

#16
umbrellasys;3871872 Wrote:

> Did you try adding the printer using Administrator privs? Just go to
> the
> Control Panel > Printers > Run As Administrator > Add Printer. This
> process allowed me print on the network printer. Unfortunately, MS
> Word
> will not work at all if the network printer is setup as the default
> and
> was not added by the administrator.
>
>
> --
> umbrellasys
OMG!!! I have been on line and on the phone with Microsoft, HP and
Toshiba for months, and NONE of them have been able to help me with this
issue! This worked perfect, and, to top it off my husband who knows
very little about computers, other surfing, is the one fixed it for me
using your awesome instructions!! Thank you Thank you Thank you


--
Gotbier
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gotbier's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gotbier.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/865372.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

C

Cindy Backstein

#17
Active Directory Domain Services unavailable

I have a Vista computer networked to an XP computer that is physically connected to a Samsung printer. I have been printing fine for 8 months now. Suddenly I am getting this error message when I try to print from the Vista computer. The Vista computer sees the Samsung just fine. The Vista computer is able to connect to the XP computer and save a word document to the XP and then print. It just can no longer send an item to print across the network anymore. Like I said, it had been printing fine. How can I make the "Active Directory Domain Service" available again?

Thank you,
Cindy
 

My Computer

G

Gotbier

#18
Cindy Backstein;3940689 Wrote:

> I have a Vista computer networked to an XP computer that is physically
> connected to a Samsung printer. I have been printing fine for 8 months
> now. Suddenly I am getting this error message when I try to print from
> the Vista computer. The Vista computer sees the Samsung just fine. The
> Vista computer is able to connect to the XP computer and save a word
> document to the XP and then print. It just can no longer send an item
> to print across the network anymore. Like I said, it had been printing
> fine. How can I make the "Active Directory Domain Service" available
> again?
>
> Thank you,
> Cindy
My husband fixed mine. From the Control Panel, he opened the printers,
right clicked on the printer I use, then selected Run As Adminsitrator


--
Gotbier
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gotbier's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gotbier.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/865372.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

R

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

#19
Thank you for the tip.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Gotbier" <Gotbier.3eqijf@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Gotbier.3eqijf@xxxxxx

>
> Cindy Backstein;3940689 Wrote:

>> I have a Vista computer networked to an XP computer that is physically
>> connected to a Samsung printer. I have been printing fine for 8 months
>> now. Suddenly I am getting this error message when I try to print from
>> the Vista computer. The Vista computer sees the Samsung just fine. The
>> Vista computer is able to connect to the XP computer and save a word
>> document to the XP and then print. It just can no longer send an item
>> to print across the network anymore. Like I said, it had been printing
>> fine. How can I make the "Active Directory Domain Service" available
>> again?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Cindy
>
> My husband fixed mine. From the Control Panel, he opened the printers,
> right clicked on the printer I use, then selected Run As Adminsitrator
>
>
> --
> Gotbier
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Gotbier's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gotbier.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/865372.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
 

My Computer

C

Cindy

#20
I have already tried that. Didn't change a thing. Thanks for replying
though. Cindy

"Gotbier" wrote:

>
> Cindy Backstein;3940689 Wrote:

> > I have a Vista computer networked to an XP computer that is physically
> > connected to a Samsung printer. I have been printing fine for 8 months
> > now. Suddenly I am getting this error message when I try to print from
> > the Vista computer. The Vista computer sees the Samsung just fine. The
> > Vista computer is able to connect to the XP computer and save a word
> > document to the XP and then print. It just can no longer send an item
> > to print across the network anymore. Like I said, it had been printing
> > fine. How can I make the "Active Directory Domain Service" available
> > again?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Cindy
>
> My husband fixed mine. From the Control Panel, he opened the printers,
> right clicked on the printer I use, then selected Run As Adminsitrator
>
>
> --
> Gotbier
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Gotbier's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gotbier.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/865372.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)