The internet holds not one solution.

stevieb89

I run windows vista ultimate 64x and i've been struggling greatly with this problem for over 2 weeks, searching the internet far and wide, and have gotten absolutely nowhere. Long story short, when plugging in my ethernet cable to my computer (straight from the wall, no router) at home and at my college. the cable is detected yet when i mouseover the network icon in the start menu it reads "Unidentified network ...access: local only" after running an ipconfig (which i would post here if i could), i saw that there was no default gateway and the ip was showing up as 0.0.0.0. i went to the IT department of my school, and connection worked fine.. i do not know what the difference is in the connection, yeah i have tried every possible combination of solutions (disabling ipv6, enabling DHCP, etc...)that the internet has to offer and it seems i havnt even come close. i bought this computer 1 month ago and have still never been able to access the internet. i would tremendously appreciate and help one could offer....

My Computer

OK,
- make sure that the network card props has the IP/DNS set to obtain.
- check IP address in ipconfig
- Try resetting your TCP/IP stack with this command (netsh int ip reset log.txt).
- The next option is what security software are you using. Some software like Norton/McA/Fsecure sometimes mess up with a update and you will find that it is blocking all network traffic. Try disabling it/uninstall it.
- Ask your administartor for a static IP and DNS and see if that works...

Hal

My Computer

Network Driver fails in Vista x64 in a Internet-Direct Connection; no router in loop

I also had this problem, but with a twist. My workstation works with Vista Ultimate x64. What I realized was that network operation worked after installing Vista x64 straight off the disk but without the Vista SP1 upgrade. For my system, I switch the network connection between a direct to the Internet and via a router Internet connection. I do this because a router-connection is slower. BUT, with Vista-SP1 and the MS Update "NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller" I could NOT access the direct-Internet; with the router in the loop all operations worked well. Therefore, do not install this Nvidia Network Controller single update; just hid it in your update window.

In a similar situation, if you are introducing the Sony Memory-Stick "MircroVault-8Gbit" only after installing Vista-SP1 you OS may not recognize nor install the related drivers. This is also the same for the Sony camera "SuperSteadyShot DSC-1100: 8.1 Mpixels". To overcome this restriction the workaround is to introduce the peripheral devices immediately after installing Vista of the DVD disk and before going to any MS Updates (I also noted that each stick should be treated as individual devices rather that generically - I have two sticks so each needed to be introduced to the system).

To realize these facts, I installed Vista a number of times and utilized image files of my C-Drive to search to find a fix during a 2-week period. In trying to install Vista SP1, I continually encountered round-robin booting after SP1 was introduced whenever I previously installed certain MS Updates OR such third party programs like O&O Defrag or Rixio V10. Eventually, my fix was to STRICTLY install in this order...Vista off the disk, introduce those devices (Sony Memory Sticks or Cameras) which auto-install drivers, install Microsoft’s "Installation Program", follow this by installing Vista SP1 and afterwards install the various programs you desire. One program installed after SP1, O&O Defrag, works well but then fails by not showing the computer’s drives in the program’s window. To fix, go to Program and Features, right-click and select "Change or Repair" to return functionality. But, this condition will return again and again.

My Computer

Back