Solved Uninstall leaving program startup folder

bumpersticker

My startup folder has two links, one to the product, and one to the Uninstall. The Uninstall starts uninstall.exe in program files, which then invokes the self-uninstalling product with a command line telling it to uninstall itself, then uninstall.exe exits. Just before deleting the product's program files and local data directories, the uninstaller deletes the two links in the startup folder, then deletes the directory itself. This all works fine on XP, but on Windows Vista or 7 the links deletes, but the directory does not delete. I really need to try to fix this programmatically within the uninstall (or install.) Any ideas? Thanks.

My Computer

I found the answer myself, but it might be useful to others.

I was successfully deleting the directory c:\Users\<sys>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\<product name> , and the Windows XP version of that directory is sufficient to clear the Start Menu entry.

Windows 7, and I assume Vista, has an additional directory of c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\<product name> that must also be deleted to clear the Start menu of the product.

I'm saying C: above, but that should be derived instead of assumed.

My Computer

Back