• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"Unsupported file type..." trying to burn DVD with Vista Media Cen

D

Daniel

#1
When I select a file to burn to video DVD in Windows Media Center, I get the
following error:
UNSUPPORTED FILE TYPE One or more of the files you have selected is not a
supported file type and cannot be added to the list.

The only files in there are files I've recorded from TV, but they all give
me that error when I try to select them for video DVD. Surely the Burn DVD
feature can't be as useless as this. I found the following KB article, but I
verified that my region is set to United States... and everything was
recorded via Comcast cable, so all my shows are the same region:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929518

I don't think it's a codec error because I can burn any of those recorded TV
files just fine with Windows DVD Maker... just not with Windows Media Center.
Any ideas?
 

My Computer

D

Daniel

#2
I was wrong... I can't burn DVDs with Windows DVD Maker. It gets to 0.3% in
the "Encoding" phase and then crashes. Please help!



"Daniel" wrote:

> When I select a file to burn to video DVD in Windows Media Center, I get the
> following error:
> UNSUPPORTED FILE TYPE One or more of the files you have selected is not a
> supported file type and cannot be added to the list.
>
> The only files in there are files I've recorded from TV, but they all give
> me that error when I try to select them for video DVD. Surely the Burn DVD
> feature can't be as useless as this. I found the following KB article, but I
> verified that my region is set to United States... and everything was
> recorded via Comcast cable, so all my shows are the same region:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929518
>
> I don't think it's a codec error because I can burn any of those recorded TV
> files just fine with Windows DVD Maker... just not with Windows Media Center.
> Any ideas?
 

My Computer

C
#3
RE: "Unsupported file type..." trying to burn DVD with Vista Media

"Daniel" wrote:

> I was wrong... I can't burn DVDs with Windows DVD Maker. It gets to 0.3% in
> the "Encoding" phase and then crashes. Please help!


Along with your recorded TV shows, you should also have the sample videos
that came with Media Center. Can you try a test to see if one of those
videos can burn correctly? (you might try using a CD to not waste a DVD
blank in the process).

That might help narrow down the issue.
 

My Computer

D

Daniel

#4
RE: "Unsupported file type..." trying to burn DVD with Vista Media

Thanks for the suggestion, Cary :)
Unfortunately I've deleted the sample videos. Not sure what to do... I've
found that I can burn DVDs successfully with a program called DVD Flick, but
not with Windows Media Center, which is what I really want. I tried to start
my free 90 days of support from Microsoft, but I can't even get that to work
because it says my product ID is invalid... I'm not running a beta or
anything. This is the full version of Vista Ultimate.

After spending all this money on it, I'm frustrated that the main feature I
wanted it for doesn't even work :(

-Daniel



"Cary" wrote:

> "Daniel" wrote:
>
> > I was wrong... I can't burn DVDs with Windows DVD Maker. It gets to 0.3% in
> > the "Encoding" phase and then crashes. Please help!

>
> Along with your recorded TV shows, you should also have the sample videos
> that came with Media Center. Can you try a test to see if one of those
> videos can burn correctly? (you might try using a CD to not waste a DVD
> blank in the process).
>
> That might help narrow down the issue.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)