USB support

R

Ron Miller

I have Virtual PC installed on Windows 7, but I have no need of XP
mode. Instead, I installed Windows 98 SE because I have a Win 98 app
that controls my speakers, and it was never upgraded to run on NT-
based systems. I installed Virtual PC because on the "Features" page
of the MS's Virtual PC Web site, it prominently claims "USB support."
However, my app will not even install because it says the system has
no USB support. Indeed, in the Win-98 Device Manager, there is no USB
entry.

So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC? If so, how can
it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?

Thanks for any clues.

Roon
 

My Computer

R

Robert Comer

> So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC? If so, how can

> it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?
Yes and no.

USB is supported through the use of the Windows VPC Integration Components,
but Win98 isn't one of the OS's that can run the integration components.
(You need WinXPSP3 and above)

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>

"Ron Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I have Virtual PC installed on Windows 7, but I have no need of XP
> mode. Instead, I installed Windows 98 SE because I have a Win 98 app
> that controls my speakers, and it was never upgraded to run on NT-
> based systems. I installed Virtual PC because on the "Features" page
> of the MS's Virtual PC Web site, it prominently claims "USB support."
> However, my app will not even install because it says the system has
> no USB support. Indeed, in the Win-98 Device Manager, there is no USB
> entry.
>
> So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC? If so, how can
> it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?
>
> Thanks for any clues.
>
> Roon
 

My Computer

R

Ron Miller

On May 6, 9:54 pm, "Robert Comer" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC?  If so, how can
> > it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?
>
> Yes and no.
>
> USB is supported through the use of the Windows VPC Integration Components,
> but Win98 isn't one of the OS's that can run the integration components.
> (You need WinXPSP3 and above)
>
> --
> Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>
>
> "Ron Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
>
>

> > I have Virtual PC installed on Windows 7, but I have no need of XP
> > mode.  Instead, I installed Windows 98 SE because I have a Win 98 app
> > that controls my speakers, and it was never upgraded to run on NT-
> > based systems.  I installed Virtual PC because on the "Features" page
> > of the MS's Virtual PC Web site, it prominently claims "USB support."
> > However, my app will not even install because it says the system has
> > no USB support.  Indeed, in the Win-98 Device Manager, there is no USB
> > entry.
>

> > So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC?  If so, how can
> > it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?
>

> > Thanks for any clues.
>

> > Roon- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
Foiled again!!

Thanks for the kind explanation.
Next question, then, would be: Is there ANY virtualization software
that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?

Ron
 

My Computer

R

Robert Comer

> Foiled again!!

My motto. Computers can sure be frustrating, can't they. :/

> Next question, then, would be: Is there ANY virtualization software
> that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?
VMWare Player (free), or VMWare Workstation should do it, but I haven't
actually used USB in a Win98 VM under either, but they do USB quite
differently from Windows Virtual PC.

--
Bob Comer

"Ron Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On May 6, 9:54 pm, "Robert Comer" <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>> > So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC? If so, how can
>> > it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?
>>
>> Yes and no.
>>
>> USB is supported through the use of the Windows VPC Integration
>> Components,
>> but Win98 isn't one of the OS's that can run the integration components.
>> (You need WinXPSP3 and above)
>>
>> --
>> Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>
>>
>> "Ron Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>>
>>

>> > I have Virtual PC installed on Windows 7, but I have no need of XP
>> > mode. Instead, I installed Windows 98 SE because I have a Win 98 app
>> > that controls my speakers, and it was never upgraded to run on NT-
>> > based systems. I installed Virtual PC because on the "Features" page
>> > of the MS's Virtual PC Web site, it prominently claims "USB support."
>> > However, my app will not even install because it says the system has
>> > no USB support. Indeed, in the Win-98 Device Manager, there is no USB
>> > entry.
>>

>> > So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC? If so, how can
>> > it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?
>>

>> > Thanks for any clues.
>>

>> > Roon- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
> Foiled again!!
>
> Thanks for the kind explanation.
> Next question, then, would be: Is there ANY virtualization software
> that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?
>
> Ron
 

My Computer

P

Poutnik

In article <[email protected]>, bobcomer-removeme-
@mindspring.com says...

>

> > Foiled again!!
>
> My motto. Computers can sure be frustrating, can't they. :/
>

> > Next question, then, would be: Is there ANY virtualization software
> > that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?
>
> VMWare Player (free), or VMWare Workstation should do it, but I haven't
> actually used USB in a Win98 VM under either, but they do USB quite
> differently from Windows Virtual PC.
VirtualBox by Sun/Oracle http://www.virtualbox.org/
support USB to guest systems too,
but as it was said I have never tried it with Win98 guest OS.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
 

My Computer

B

Bill Grant

"Poutnik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> In article <[email protected]>, bobcomer-removeme-
> @mindspring.com says...

>>

>> > Foiled again!!
>>
>> My motto. Computers can sure be frustrating, can't they. :/
>>

>> > Next question, then, would be: Is there ANY virtualization software
>> > that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?
>>
>> VMWare Player (free), or VMWare Workstation should do it, but I haven't
>> actually used USB in a Win98 VM under either, but they do USB quite
>> differently from Windows Virtual PC.
>
> VirtualBox by Sun/Oracle http://www.virtualbox.org/
> support USB to guest systems too,
> but as it was said I have never tried it with Win98 guest OS.
>
> --
> Poutnik
> The best depends on how the best is defined.
The key here is Win98. USB was still pretty new in 1998.
 

My Computer

P

Poutnik

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>

> >
> > VirtualBox by Sun/Oracle http://www.virtualbox.org/
> > support USB to guest systems too,
> > but as it was said I have never tried it with Win98 guest OS.
> >
> > --
> > Poutnik
> > The best depends on how the best is defined.
>
> The key here is Win98. USB was still pretty new in 1998.
>
I know, I had Win98SE,
and it was always very surprised by any USB device,
driver always needed.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
 

My Computer

R

Ron Miller

On May 7, 3:48 pm, Poutnik <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, bobcomer-removeme-
> @mindspring.com says...
>
>
>

> > > Foiled again!!
>

> > My motto. Computers can sure be frustrating, can't they. :/
>

> > > Next question, then, would be:  Is there ANY virtualization software
> > > that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?
>

> > VMWare Player (free), or VMWare Workstation should do it, but I haven't
> > actually used USB in a Win98 VM under either, but they do USB quite
> > differently from Windows Virtual PC.
>
> VirtualBox by Sun/Oracle  http://www.virtualbox.org/
> support USB to guest systems too,
> but as it was said I have never tried it with Win98 guest OS.
>
> --
> Poutnik
> The best depends on how the best is defined.
I've tried both VMWare Player and VirtualBox before without success,
but I haven't done it for a while. I'd given up until I got Windows 7
and saw the blurb about USB support being added to Virtual PC. I'll
try the latest version of VirtualBox again and report back here.

If only these Altec Lansing speakers weren't so darned good. I've had
them for 12 years, and I still love them. I actually have control
over everything but balance and adjustment of the virtual center
channel on Dolby ProLogic. Having that functionality is worth giving
up a small amount of HD space to install virtual Windows 98 SE, but
the applet that controls the speakers does it via USB, so the virtual
machine has to run Win 98 with USB support. I'm not the only one
clinging to these old speakers as evidenced by the fact that control
of the ACS 495 speakers is still on the top ten FAQ list at
AltecLansing.com.

Thanks.
Ron
 

My Computer

Top