• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Usenet feed fix, maybe.

A

Alex Clayton

#1
As was suggested I went to the Vista mail group. A lot of people were having
the problem with the feed for their mail that was just like the news feed
problem. The one person who sounded like they may know, suggested AV
problems. Said AVG which I use works fine, but you had to manually install
it so it would not scan e-mail. Figured what the hell, try it. un installed
AVG, re installed it, but left out the E-mail and I now have my feed working
like it did. Not sure if this was really a fix or not, since this worked
fine for a couple days with the AVG the old way, but what the hell, will see
if it keeps working.
--
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain
 

My Computer

S

Sinner

#2
"Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Oo2dnVjbYfi-4OPVnZ2dnUVZ_tPinZ2d@xxxxxx

> As was suggested I went to the Vista mail group. A lot of people were
> having the problem with the feed for their mail that was just like the
> news feed problem. The one person who sounded like they may know,
> suggested AV problems. Said AVG which I use works fine, but you had to
> manually install it so it would not scan e-mail. Figured what the hell,
> try it. un installed AVG, re installed it, but left out the E-mail and I
> now have my feed working like it did. Not sure if this was really a fix or
> not, since this worked fine for a couple days with the AVG the old way,
> but what the hell, will see if it keeps working.

So, you're ok with the fact that nothing is scanning your incoming mail for
viruses, worms, trojans, etc., rather than find a product that will work
with Windows Mail? Don't come bitchin'!
 

My Computer

I

Ian D

#3
"Sinner" <sinner@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:0pvfk.2483$t32.1829@xxxxxx

>
> "Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:Oo2dnVjbYfi-4OPVnZ2dnUVZ_tPinZ2d@xxxxxx

>> As was suggested I went to the Vista mail group. A lot of people were
>> having the problem with the feed for their mail that was just like the
>> news feed problem. The one person who sounded like they may know,
>> suggested AV problems. Said AVG which I use works fine, but you had to
>> manually install it so it would not scan e-mail. Figured what the hell,
>> try it. un installed AVG, re installed it, but left out the E-mail and I
>> now have my feed working like it did. Not sure if this was really a fix
>> or not, since this worked fine for a couple days with the AVG the old
>> way, but what the hell, will see if it keeps working.
>
>
> So, you're ok with the fact that nothing is scanning your incoming mail
> for viruses, worms, trojans, etc., rather than find a product that will
> work with Windows Mail? Don't come bitchin'!
>
It is recommended that incoming and outgoing mail scanning is disabled
as it can cause problems for email clients. There is no additional
protection
from scanning incoming mail as it is scanned when it is opened, which is
the more reliable scan. I've had email with infected attachments get past
the
incoming scan and get tagged by the AV when opening the text portion.
 

My Computer

A

Alex Clayton

#4
"Sinner" <sinner@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:0pvfk.2483$t32.1829@xxxxxx

>
> "Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:Oo2dnVjbYfi-4OPVnZ2dnUVZ_tPinZ2d@xxxxxx

>> As was suggested I went to the Vista mail group. A lot of people were
>> having the problem with the feed for their mail that was just like the
>> news feed problem. The one person who sounded like they may know,
>> suggested AV problems. Said AVG which I use works fine, but you had to
>> manually install it so it would not scan e-mail. Figured what the hell,
>> try it. un installed AVG, re installed it, but left out the E-mail and I
>> now have my feed working like it did. Not sure if this was really a fix
>> or not, since this worked fine for a couple days with the AVG the old
>> way, but what the hell, will see if it keeps working.
>
>
> So, you're ok with the fact that nothing is scanning your incoming mail
> for viruses, worms, trojans, etc., rather than find a product that will
> work with Windows Mail? !
>
I will try real hard to "Don't come bitchin'". I don't use WM for mail. I
use Yahoo, which has AV filtering.
--
25% graduate functional illiterates. We should remove the warning labels
from everything and let nature take care of the problem.
Peter Weisbach
 

My Computer

I

Ian D

#5
"Sinner" <sinner@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Tywfk.2388$jT6.2308@xxxxxx

>
> "Ian D" <taurus@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:OwrkS$55IHA.4468@xxxxxx

>>
>> It is recommended that incoming and outgoing mail scanning is disabled
>> as it can cause problems for email clients. There is no additional
>> protection
>> from scanning incoming mail as it is scanned when it is opened, which is
>> the more reliable scan. I've had email with infected attachments get
>> past the
>> incoming scan and get tagged by the AV when opening the text portion.
>>
>
> None of the AV packages I have used have ever caused me a moments grief in
> any e-mail program not Norton, not NOD 32, nor McAfee.
>
> And, I'd much rather catch it before it has gotten to my HD.
>
The incoming email scan takes place on your HD. If there's an infected
attachment, it's immediately quarantined before reaching your inbox, if
that's how you set the AV options, but it's still on your HD. It's the same
thing with a file download. The file is saved into the AV's scanning area,
then moved to the destination directory after a clean scan.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)