Vista - Network Cable Unplugged

D

Dave in KY

I have a home network that has a DSL modem connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4v.2
(with updated firmware) 4 port switch WiFi router. I have several XP machines
hardwired to teh switch and all have conectivity. I have a cable runnin form
the switch approximately 50 ft to an upstairs bedroom. I just purchased a
Dell with Vista for this room. The machine does not recognize teh cable. I
can carry my laptop running XP to the same room and connect the ethernet
cable and it works no problem.

I've downloaded new drivers for the internal NIC card on the Dell. Still the
Local Area Connection shows "network cable unplugged".

I've disabled IPV.6, QoS Stacker, Link-Layer topoloy discovery mapper i/o
driver and link-layer topology discovery responder and still I get "network
cable unplugged".

Frustrated eyond belief at this stage. Why does this have to be soooooooo
hard? Can you help me?
 

My Computer

R

Robert Moir

"Dave in KY" <Dave in [email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a home network that has a DSL modem connected to a Linksys
>BEFW11S4v.2
> (with updated firmware) 4 port switch WiFi router. I have several XP
> machines
> hardwired to teh switch and all have conectivity. I have a cable runnin
> form
> the switch approximately 50 ft to an upstairs bedroom. I just purchased a
> Dell with Vista for this room. The machine does not recognize teh cable. I
> can carry my laptop running XP to the same room and connect the ethernet
> cable and it works no problem.
>
> I've downloaded new drivers for the internal NIC card on the Dell. Still
> the
> Local Area Connection shows "network cable unplugged".
>
> I've disabled IPV.6, QoS Stacker, Link-Layer topoloy discovery mapper i/o
> driver and link-layer topology discovery responder and still I get
> "network
> cable unplugged".
>
> Frustrated eyond belief at this stage. Why does this have to be soooooooo
> hard? Can you help me?


Change the duplex settings of the network card (in card's driver properties)
to 10Mb/Half Duplex and see if that works. It's probably set to auto-sensing
at the moment and sometimes this can fall down (I've seen it fall down with
linksys routers before actually). If that works, try fiddling with the
settings, the ideal setting would probably be 100Mb/Full Duplex.
 

My Computer

D

Dave in KY

I tried that and it didn't help. Should I reboot afterword or does that matter?

"Robert Moir" wrote:

>
> "Dave in KY" <Dave in [email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >I have a home network that has a DSL modem connected to a Linksys
> >BEFW11S4v.2
> > (with updated firmware) 4 port switch WiFi router. I have several XP
> > machines
> > hardwired to teh switch and all have conectivity. I have a cable runnin
> > form
> > the switch approximately 50 ft to an upstairs bedroom. I just purchased a
> > Dell with Vista for this room. The machine does not recognize teh cable. I
> > can carry my laptop running XP to the same room and connect the ethernet
> > cable and it works no problem.
> >
> > I've downloaded new drivers for the internal NIC card on the Dell. Still
> > the
> > Local Area Connection shows "network cable unplugged".
> >
> > I've disabled IPV.6, QoS Stacker, Link-Layer topoloy discovery mapper i/o
> > driver and link-layer topology discovery responder and still I get
> > "network
> > cable unplugged".
> >
> > Frustrated eyond belief at this stage. Why does this have to be soooooooo
> > hard? Can you help me?

>
> Change the duplex settings of the network card (in card's driver properties)
> to 10Mb/Half Duplex and see if that works. It's probably set to auto-sensing
> at the moment and sometimes this can fall down (I've seen it fall down with
> linksys routers before actually). If that works, try fiddling with the
> settings, the ideal setting would probably be 100Mb/Full Duplex.
>
>
>
 

My Computer

M

Martin Vaupell

FTP acces problems with IE

Trying to upload some files using IE which howewer proves
a though task, alternatly im using a 3rd party program for it.
But im sure thats not intended.

The problem is i open a ftp site, and logon,
It shows AS a HTML site, well i can browse the site and such
and i can download. but i cannot add my files as i could on XP.

How want it, is to open a ftp site AS a folder style.
so i can drag/drop objects between the folders ;)

If IE7+ cant handle this, can someone advise/refer me to a browser
with such abilities.

Tx in advanced ;)

/ Eqvaliser
 

My Computer

D

Dave in KY

Any additional thoughts out there?

"Dave in KY" wrote:

> I tried that and it didn't help. Should I reboot afterword or does that matter?
>
> "Robert Moir" wrote:
>
> >
> > "Dave in KY" <Dave in [email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > >I have a home network that has a DSL modem connected to a Linksys
> > >BEFW11S4v.2
> > > (with updated firmware) 4 port switch WiFi router. I have several XP
> > > machines
> > > hardwired to teh switch and all have conectivity. I have a cable runnin
> > > form
> > > the switch approximately 50 ft to an upstairs bedroom. I just purchased a
> > > Dell with Vista for this room. The machine does not recognize teh cable. I
> > > can carry my laptop running XP to the same room and connect the ethernet
> > > cable and it works no problem.
> > >
> > > I've downloaded new drivers for the internal NIC card on the Dell. Still
> > > the
> > > Local Area Connection shows "network cable unplugged".
> > >
> > > I've disabled IPV.6, QoS Stacker, Link-Layer topoloy discovery mapper i/o
> > > driver and link-layer topology discovery responder and still I get
> > > "network
> > > cable unplugged".
> > >
> > > Frustrated eyond belief at this stage. Why does this have to be soooooooo
> > > hard? Can you help me?

> >
> > Change the duplex settings of the network card (in card's driver properties)
> > to 10Mb/Half Duplex and see if that works. It's probably set to auto-sensing
> > at the moment and sometimes this can fall down (I've seen it fall down with
> > linksys routers before actually). If that works, try fiddling with the
> > settings, the ideal setting would probably be 100Mb/Full Duplex.
> >
> >
> >
 

My Computer

M

Michael

Dave,
Simple things first that you may have already tried.

Does the 'network adapter' show up in Device manager? (It should as you get
the disconnected message)

Do the connectivity lights come on at the router and Dell end?
Expect that there are two small lights at the dell end, one should light
when cable is connected to router the other when traffic is passing.

If the lights at the Dell and router end don't light it is possible (not
very likely with newer gear) that you have the wrong type of cable between
the Dell and the router. There are two cables wirings: normal and crossover.
Modern gear detects which cable is being used so doesn't matter. Some
el-cheapo devices don't do the auto detect.

If that is the case (again pretty unusual with newer gear) you will need to
change the cable or get a really cheap network hub (they contain an internal
crossover).

If you have a crossover cable, then it should work if you connect the Dell
and one of your laptops directly without the router. You will get a local
peer-peer two computer network with the lights on.

Michael

"Dave in KY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Any additional thoughts out there?
>
> "Dave in KY" wrote:
>
>> I tried that and it didn't help. Should I reboot afterword or does that
>> matter?
>>
>> "Robert Moir" wrote:
>>
>> >
>> > "Dave in KY" <Dave in [email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]
>> > >I have a home network that has a DSL modem connected to a Linksys
>> > >BEFW11S4v.2
>> > > (with updated firmware) 4 port switch WiFi router. I have several XP
>> > > machines
>> > > hardwired to teh switch and all have conectivity. I have a cable
>> > > runnin
>> > > form
>> > > the switch approximately 50 ft to an upstairs bedroom. I just
>> > > purchased a
>> > > Dell with Vista for this room. The machine does not recognize teh
>> > > cable. I
>> > > can carry my laptop running XP to the same room and connect the
>> > > ethernet
>> > > cable and it works no problem.
>> > >
>> > > I've downloaded new drivers for the internal NIC card on the Dell.
>> > > Still
>> > > the
>> > > Local Area Connection shows "network cable unplugged".
>> > >
>> > > I've disabled IPV.6, QoS Stacker, Link-Layer topoloy discovery mapper
>> > > i/o
>> > > driver and link-layer topology discovery responder and still I get
>> > > "network
>> > > cable unplugged".
>> > >
>> > > Frustrated eyond belief at this stage. Why does this have to be
>> > > soooooooo
>> > > hard? Can you help me?
>> >
>> > Change the duplex settings of the network card (in card's driver
>> > properties)
>> > to 10Mb/Half Duplex and see if that works. It's probably set to
>> > auto-sensing
>> > at the moment and sometimes this can fall down (I've seen it fall down
>> > with
>> > linksys routers before actually). If that works, try fiddling with the
>> > settings, the ideal setting would probably be 100Mb/Full Duplex.
>> >
>> >
>> >
 

My Computer

S

Steve Urbach

On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:22:39 -0400, "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave,
>Simple things first that you may have already tried.
>
>Does the 'network adapter' show up in Device manager? (It should as you get
>the disconnected message)
>
>Do the connectivity lights come on at the router and Dell end?
>Expect that there are two small lights at the dell end, one should light
>when cable is connected to router the other when traffic is passing.
>
>If the lights at the Dell and router end don't light it is possible (not
>very likely with newer gear) that you have the wrong type of cable between
>the Dell and the router. There are two cables wirings: normal and crossover.
>Modern gear detects which cable is being used so doesn't matter. Some
>el-cheapo devices don't do the auto detect.
>
>If that is the case (again pretty unusual with newer gear) you will need to
>change the cable or get a really cheap network hub (they contain an internal
>crossover).
>
>If you have a crossover cable, then it should work if you connect the Dell
>and one of your laptops directly without the router. You will get a local
>peer-peer two computer network with the lights on.
>
>Michael
>

I agree with your diagnosis.

There is a 3rd type of cable out there:
Miswired.

Some hardware will work wit incorrect pairings on shorter runs (50' is a
fairly short run). Others are fussy.

OP, Look at the colors of the wires in both ends. Holding the plugs the same
way, a straight cable will be identical. while their is a color convention, as
long as the PAIRS are properly terminated, it will work


Important NOTE pr2 (usually the green pair) is split around pr1 (not really
used except for POE equipment)
pr4b
pr4a
pr2b <---
pr1a
pr1b
pr2a <---
pr3b
pr3a

Lastly, disable "allow power to be turned off on this device" feature (at
least for testing).
 

My Computer

A

Angouby

If it's work on your laptop, maybe the problem come from your network card on
your dell desktop. first try to reset your network interface controler.
reboot the dellcomputer and press f2 when you see the dell logo the computer
is starting to enter in the setup program.
In setup program go to onboard devices --> NETWORK INTEGRATED CONTROLLER and
disable the network integrated controller(NIC).
save and exit the setup program; shutdown he computer and unplug the power
cord from the back of your computer.
press the power button and maintain it pressed for 10 seconde while the
power cord is unplugged. next plug the power cord move again in setup program
by pressing f2 when you see the DELL logo.
on your keyboard strike ALT+E, and ALT+F; these combinaison reset your
setup program configurattion by the way, your network card configuration is
reseted too. save and exit the setup program. start normally you operating
system. and plug your network cord. the problem must been resolve.


"Steve Urbach" wrote:

> On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:22:39 -0400, "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Dave,
> >Simple things first that you may have already tried.
> >
> >Does the 'network adapter' show up in Device manager? (It should as you get
> >the disconnected message)
> >
> >Do the connectivity lights come on at the router and Dell end?
> >Expect that there are two small lights at the dell end, one should light
> >when cable is connected to router the other when traffic is passing.
> >
> >If the lights at the Dell and router end don't light it is possible (not
> >very likely with newer gear) that you have the wrong type of cable between
> >the Dell and the router. There are two cables wirings: normal and crossover.
> >Modern gear detects which cable is being used so doesn't matter. Some
> >el-cheapo devices don't do the auto detect.
> >
> >If that is the case (again pretty unusual with newer gear) you will need to
> >change the cable or get a really cheap network hub (they contain an internal
> >crossover).
> >
> >If you have a crossover cable, then it should work if you connect the Dell
> >and one of your laptops directly without the router. You will get a local
> >peer-peer two computer network with the lights on.
> >
> >Michael
> >

> I agree with your diagnosis.
>
> There is a 3rd type of cable out there:
> Miswired.
>
> Some hardware will work wit incorrect pairings on shorter runs (50' is a
> fairly short run). Others are fussy.
>
> OP, Look at the colors of the wires in both ends. Holding the plugs the same
> way, a straight cable will be identical. while their is a color convention, as
> long as the PAIRS are properly terminated, it will work
>
>
> Important NOTE pr2 (usually the green pair) is split around pr1 (not really
> used except for POE equipment)
> pr4b
> pr4a
> pr2b <---
> pr1a
> pr1b
> pr2a <---
> pr3b
> pr3a
>
> Lastly, disable "allow power to be turned off on this device" feature (at
> least for testing).
>
>
 

My Computer

BaRut

New Member
I had a similar problem and found the fix. The issue: Windows Vista machine connected to Linksys 8-port gigabit switch. The switch is connected to a router (of course). All other non-Vista machines connected to the switch worked fine. But, the Vista machine displayed "network cable unplugged" message when connected to the switch...however, it worked great when plugged directly into the router (same cable used when connected to router and switch so I KNEW it was NOT the cable). There were many suggested "fixes" out there, but the ONE that worked was... Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Network Adapters / Right Click on your network adapter / Properties / Advanced Tab / Speed-Duplex Settings----CHANGE THIS SETTING TO "100 Mb Full Duplex". The "Auto" setting apparently does not work when the machine is connected to a switch. I don't completely understand why this worked...but it did work!
Barry
 

My Computer

J

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
I am glad that you solve your problem.
However your explanation is somewhat lacking to in describing a solution to
such problem.
A Router is a combo unit of Routing circuits, Wireless Access Point, and a
switch.
There is No difference between the switch inside a Router and a stand alone
None manage switch.
It could be that your switch is Not doing so well any more, and it could be
a general mismatch in your Network.
In many cases switching to Force Full Duplex can hinder None Pro Network
rather than Help.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).


"BaRut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> I had a similar problem and found the fix. The issue: Windows Vista
> machine connected to Linksys 8-port gigabit switch. The switch is
> connected to a router (of course). All other non-Vista machines
> connected to the switch worked fine. But, the Vista machine displayed
> "network cable unplugged" message when connected to the
> switch...however, it worked great when plugged directly into the router
> (same cable used when connected to router and switch so I KNEW it was
> NOT the cable). There were many suggested "fixes" out there, but the
> ONE that worked was... Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Network
> Adapters / Right Click on your network adapter / Properties / Advanced
> Tab / Speed-Duplex Settings----CHANGE THIS SETTING TO "100 Mb Full
> Duplex". The "Auto" setting apparently does not work when the machine
> is connected to a switch. I don't completely understand why this
> worked...but it did work!
> Barry
>
>
> --
> BaRut
 

My Computer

I

Ismo Salonen

--snip--

If the world were perfect then the auto setting worked every time.
But there are some cases when it just fails, then setting the correct
parameters by hand fixes the problem. In the old days this was more common.

ismo
 

My Computer

BaRut

New Member
Whether Jack [MVP-Networking] likes it or not, Dave In Ky's fix worked. All too often on these posts you see guys (like Jack) making assumptions and criticizing fixes without knowing the facts....and what's so frustrating is that they don't even type/communicate well enough to know what the heck they are saying (read Jack's post and you'll see what I mean). Also, many times (like Jack) they make erroneous statements (like when Jack attempts to state that there is no difference between the switch inside a router and a stand-alone switch). Jack, you're obviously an expert, and I obviously have no trouble-shooting abilities at all. So, why don't you tell all of us why the vista machine works when I plug the cable into the router, but I get a "cable unplugged message" when the vista machine is plugged into the switch. By the way, all of the equipment is new. ;)
 

My Computer

J

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Regardless poof the personal none technological remarks, I stand behind
every word that I post above.
Unfortunately many End-Users are Not equipped with the knowledge to describe
well the way their networks are configured which makes it very hard to pin
point the real trouble.
As I said before I am glad that you solve the immediate problem. I hope the
general reason for the behavior of your Network will not act in the Future.
Mean time leave well and prosper.:D
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).


"BaRut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> Whether Jack [MVP-Networking] likes it or not, Dave In Ky's fix worked.
> All too often on these posts you see guys (like Jack) making assumptions
> and criticizing fixes without knowing the facts....and what's so
> frustrating is that they don't even type/communicate well enough to know
> what the heck they are saying (read Jack's post and you'll see what I
> mean). Also, many times (like Jack) they make erroneous statements
> (like when Jack attempts to state that there is no difference between
> the switch inside a router and a stand-alone switch). Jack, you're
> obviously an expert, and I obviously have no trouble-shooting abilities
> at all. So, why don't you tell all of us why the vista machine works
> when I plug the cable into the router, but I get a "cable unplugged
> message" when the vista machine is plugged into the switch. By the way,
> all of the equipment is new. ;)
>
>
> --
> BaRut
 

My Computer

Top