Vista No Longer Supported by Most Security Software

Vistaar

Vista Guru
When I started this list back in March 2016, there were only five or six security products that had ended support for Windows Vista. For the present September 2019 Revision, I have changed the title from "...Some Security Software" to "...Most Security Software." One would hope that Vista's few remaining users have learned to look up system requirements by now, but this list might still prove useful to someone. By "Vista No Longer Supported" I of course mean that current versions of the product are incompatible with Vista. In many cases - perhaps most cases - a version that is old enough to work on Vista can still receive definition updates, so please do not post to inform me of that. If anyone knows of another security product that has ended support for Vista, then please post that information here! However, please DO NOT post any recommendations or questions regarding software that DOES support Vista, or explanations regarding the continued use of unsupported products here (start your own thread instead). This is the second time I have moved this thread to escape OT posts. Thanks!

Adaware -

See Support for Windows XP and Windows Vista has ended.

Avast -

The last version of Avast to support Vista is 18.8. See End of support for Windows XP/Vista.

AVG -

AVG is owned by Avast: AVG ends support for Windows XP & Vista.

Avira -

Avira ended support for Vista way back in 2013: Avira Product Lifecycle Archive.

Bitdefender -

Bitdefender once relegated Vista and XP to a special version: Bitdefender Security for Windows XP and Vista - but that link now redirects to a current version that does not support Vista. Bitdefender Antivirus Free does not support Vista either, and there is no legacy download.

Emsisoft -

See Why can’t I install an Emsisoft product on Windows XP & Vista?.

FortiClient -

The last version to support Vista was 5.2.4. Windows XP 32 bit was still supported as of 5.4.1.

F-Secure -

See End of Windows Vista support for F-Secure SAFE and F-Secure Internet Security - F-Secure Community.

G Data -

With the exception of business solutions, PC products require Windows 7 or higher.

Immunet -

See New Release: Immunet 6.0.0/6.0.2/6.0.4/6.0.6) - Announcements.

Kaspersky -

Vista no longer listed in system requirements as of Feb. 20, 2018. See Kaspersky Free System Requirements, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2018 System Requirements, Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 System Requirements, System Requirements for Kaspersky Small Office Security 6. However, reports here and there suggest that Kaspersky 19.0.0 is in fact compatible with Vista.

Malwarebytes -

The last version to support Vista was 3.5.1: Malwarebytes 3 - Frequently Asked Questions. However, Ransomware Protection unavailable on Windows XP or Vista.

McAfee -

See McAfee System Requirements.

Microsoft Security Essentials -

All versions from 4.5 (released in 2014) to the current 4.10 ceased to function on Vista beginning April 11, 2017.

Nano -

See NANO Antivirus system requirements.

Norton -

See Norton Security system requirements. Regarding compatible versions, Norton Maintenance Mode for Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Sandboxie -

See Sandboxie - Frequently Asked Questions. The last version of Sandboxie to support Vista was 5.22.

Sophos Home -

New free antivirus that only supports Windows 7 and higher (see System requirements for installing Sophos Home).

Spybot -

Version 2.4 was the last to support Vista and XP: Spybot 2.5 Compatibility.

Trend Micro -

See - Home and Home Office Support | Trend Micro.

Trusteer -

See Supported Platforms.

Vipre -

See Notice: End of support for Windows Vista : Support and System requirements for VIPRE Antivirus, Internet Security, or Internet Security Pro : Support.

ZoneAlarm -

See What Operating Systems are supported? The last version to support Vista was 14.3.119.000.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)