• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Vista takes long time to shut down hanging process

H

hhh3h

#1
When you click shut down, Vista doesn't shut down, or do anything for that
matter. If it cannot terminate all processes, in about 3 to 5 minutes it
will pop up this screen that say like "this process is hanging, click here to
terminate and shut down" or something like that.

How do i make that timer FASTER? I don't want to wate 3-5 minutes before I
am prompted to shut it down.
 
M

Malke

#2
hhh3h wrote:

> When you click shut down, Vista doesn't shut down, or do anything for that
> matter. If it cannot terminate all processes, in about 3 to 5 minutes it
> will pop up this screen that say like "this process is hanging, click here
> to terminate and shut down" or something like that.
>
> How do i make that timer FASTER? I don't want to wate 3-5 minutes before
> I am prompted to shut it down.
Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from malware
or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton or McAfee).
If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it and replace with
a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast (free). The Windows
Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista, shutdown issues can also
be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make sure all drivers are
updated. See Step B. below for general driver directions.

A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave things as they
are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually want to update
their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit of performance out
of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If you're not one of those
people, you don't need to update your drivers if there are no problems you
are trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no Norton
or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot troubleshooting to see
which program/process is the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and there
is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the
machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from family,
friends, colleagues.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
 
C

Charlie42

#3
"hhh3h" <hhh3h@xxxxxx> wrote:

> When you click shut down, Vista doesn't shut down, or do anything for
> that matter. If it cannot terminate all processes, in about 3 to 5
> minutes it
> will pop up this screen that say like "this process is hanging, click here
> to
> terminate and shut down" or something like that.
Which process or program is not responding?

Charlie42
 
H

hhh3h

#5
Sorry but "Welcome to Your Computer 101" information is not very helpful.

THIS is how MS says Vistat should shut down. They say it should be quick
and easy to forcibly terminate programs that block the OS from shutting down:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms700677.aspx

This is a blatant lie. It does NOT happen this way. Vista can't terminate
the blocking programs. It just hangs. Sometimes it takes 3 to 5 minutes for
it to pop up the UI to terminate. Other times, longer. I have pressed "Shut
Down", turned my monitor off, and gone to bed, and in the morning, Vista has
STILL not shut down.

I don't give a flying f*** if a program doesn't _want_ to close. When I
click SHUT DOWN, I expect to SHUT DOWN. Not in 5 minutes. Not tomorrow.
Right F***ing now.


"Malke" wrote:

>
> Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
> refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from malware
> or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton or McAfee)
>
> .....
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!
>
 
M

Malke

#6
hhh3h wrote:

> Sorry but "Welcome to Your Computer 101" information is not very helpful.
(snip)

Then you should have given some indication that you had a higher skill level
or that you understood how computers work. Which you did not and still do
not.

Steam is known to have issues shutting down, both in XP and Vista. I suggest
you spend some time learning how to manage your computer instead of
frothing at the mouth and throwing a tantrum.

Don't worry, I won't be giving you any "Welcome to Your Computer 101
information" or anything else for that matter. You're not worth bothering
with.

*plonk* (since you know so much, I'm sure you know what this means)

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
 
C

Charlie42

#7
"hhh3h" <hhh3h@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> Which process or program is not responding
>>
> Steam (half life 2)
Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of the Steam
service, and make sure you do not run this software as administrator. Also,
make sure you have the latest version of your graphics card drivers.

Download and install these Microsoft updates for improved reliability and
performance:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

Charlie42
 
H

hhh3h

#8
Typical Microsoft... let's dumb everything down for someone with the IQ of a
baked potato.

You say I'm throwing a temper tantrum, Malke? Go ploink yourself out of
this thread; I don't want you to respond anyway, as you don't seem to have
any real answers.

Thank you.

"Malke" wrote:

> Then you should have given some indication that you had a higher skill level
> or that you understood how computers work. Which you did not and still do
> not.
>
> Steam is known to have issues shutting down, both in XP and Vista. I suggest
> you spend some time learning how to manage your computer instead of
> frothing at the mouth and throwing a tantrum.
>
> Don't worry, I won't be giving you any "Welcome to Your Computer 101
> information" or anything else for that matter. You're not worth bothering
> with.
>
> *plonk* (since you know so much, I'm sure you know what this means)
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!
>
 
H

hhh3h

#9
I'd disagree. An operating system should have supreme control over all the
processes it runs. Vista just oozes bad design when it can't even kill a
hanging process.

Oh by the way, it even task manager cannot kill it. Vista does not have the
capability to kill certain processes. Period.

"Jasper" wrote:

>
> Steam is the problem here
> not Windows.
>
>
 
B
#10
I find that a long shutdown occurs after MSFT updates and also when a
new application has been installed. This did not happen with XP.
 
R

Ray Luca

#11
bmac <bmac.3qqpa0@xxxxxx> wrote:

>
>I find that a long shutdown occurs after MSFT updates and also when a
>new application has been installed. This did not happen with XP.
Are you trying to join a discussion that ENDED A YEAR AGO?