• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Vista Taskmanager Processor Affinity error

B

Bitbob

#1
Even though I am logged in as Admin on a Vista Ultimate installation when I
try to set processor Afinity in taskmanager it denies access. I have tried
with several processes Microsoft and others and none will allow
access!!!!???? Any Ideas????
 

My Computer

M

Mr. Arnold

#2
"Bitbob" <Bitbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BC2BDB1D-34E7-4FFE-B6EF-C53CFE49DD15@microsoft.com...
> Even though I am logged in as Admin on a Vista Ultimate installation when
> I
> try to set processor Afinity in taskmanager it denies access. I have tried
> with several processes Microsoft and others and none will allow
> access!!!!???? Any Ideas????



I think even though you're logged in as Admin, in some cases, you don't have
the privileges even as Admin. You must use the run as administrator to give
an application the privileges needed.

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/run_as_administrator.htm


The link talks about running Task Manager with escalated privileges .

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2a5lvn
 

My Computer

D

DevilsPGD

#3
In message <99B67EB8-9B8E-45F5-B8B9-6B7F4AE4360D@microsoft.com> "Mr.
Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote:

>
>"Bitbob" <Bitbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>news:BC2BDB1D-34E7-4FFE-B6EF-C53CFE49DD15@microsoft.com...
>> Even though I am logged in as Admin on a Vista Ultimate installation when
>> I
>> try to set processor Afinity in taskmanager it denies access. I have tried
>> with several processes Microsoft and others and none will allow
>> access!!!!???? Any Ideas????

>
>
>I think even though you're logged in as Admin, in some cases, you don't have
>the privileges even as Admin. You must use the run as administrator to give
>an application the privileges needed.
>
>http://vistasupport.mvps.org/run_as_administrator.htm


You should still be able to manipulate your own tasks' affinity without
elevating.

>The link talks about running Task Manager with escalated privileges .
>
>http://preview.tinyurl.com/2a5lvn


What a long difficult way to say "click the 'Show processes from all
users' button in the [Processes] tab" (which restarts Task Manager
elevated)

--
EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
 

My Computer

M

Mr. Arnold

#4
"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
news:d32r33pjegt9qea1u8a49q9k4h23t5coec@4ax.com...
> In message <99B67EB8-9B8E-45F5-B8B9-6B7F4AE4360D@microsoft.com> "Mr.
> Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Bitbob" <Bitbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>news:BC2BDB1D-34E7-4FFE-B6EF-C53CFE49DD15@microsoft.com...
>>> Even though I am logged in as Admin on a Vista Ultimate installation
>>> when
>>> I
>>> try to set processor Afinity in taskmanager it denies access. I have
>>> tried
>>> with several processes Microsoft and others and none will allow
>>> access!!!!???? Any Ideas????

>>
>>
>>I think even though you're logged in as Admin, in some cases, you don't
>>have
>>the privileges even as Admin. You must use the run as administrator to
>>give
>>an application the privileges needed.
>>
>>http://vistasupport.mvps.org/run_as_administrator.htm

>
> You should still be able to manipulate your own tasks' affinity without
> elevating.


Well, I just tried to set NOD32's GUI exe task or process to affinity. It
wouldn't let me do it with *Access Denied*.

On the other and I could select other tasks and set the affinity.

That tells me that you cannot set affinity on all takes and some tasks will
deny setting affinity.
>
>>The link talks about running Task Manager with escalated privileges .
>>
>>http://preview.tinyurl.com/2a5lvn

>
> What a long difficult way to say "click the 'Show processes from all
> users' button in the [Processes] tab" (which restarts Task Manager
> elevated)
>

I don't think you can set affinity on some tasks regardless of the
evevation.

BTW, I could't get that runas in the link above to work for task manager.

> --
> EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
 

My Computer

C

Chad Harris

#5
Hi Bitbot--

Exactly how are you trying to set processor affinity? Are you showing
processes from all users? Are you using the cmd prompt? Are you right
clicking on the process and getting an access denied error? Does this happen
with particular processes or all?

Try this - Start - type "taskmgr" (lose quotes and you don't need to type
taskmgr.exe) in the search box - right click on it at the top of the list
that shows up and pick Run as administrator.

Additionally do the same as above>right click on taskmgr after typing in
Search box>security tab>highlight user profile of your choice>edit>put
checks in all boxes>apply>reopen. This should allow you permissions.

In addition:

This thread may help you:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29777720/a-threading-test-for-your.aspx

Also an example/tip:

Useful compatability switch on Vista - start /affinity

I was trying to play System Shock 2 recently, and it kept locking up on me
(in fact, it's been locking up for a few years now, but I keep trying new
things) and I found that it doesn't like Hyperthreading or Dual Core
processors. Apparently, the only way to get it to run stable is to set it to
run on 1 Processor.

You can do that manually after the program starts with Task Manager, but
that's a pain. However, under Vista, you can set processor affinity from the
command-line with the "start" command.

"start /affinity 01 shock2.exe", and it runs great.

Add this to your toolbox if you find older programs that still won't run (or
run and lock

Let us know if this helps.

Good luck,

CH

"Bitbob" <Bitbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BC2BDB1D-34E7-4FFE-B6EF-C53CFE49DD15@microsoft.com...
> Even though I am logged in as Admin on a Vista Ultimate installation when
> I
> try to set processor Afinity in taskmanager it denies access. I have tried
> with several processes Microsoft and others and none will allow
> access!!!!???? Any Ideas????
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)