• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Vista to XP lost connection with new router

C

ChipS

#1
I have a 2 computer wired network- one Windows XP desktop and one Vista
laptop- that was running fine with file and print sharing (with much help
from reading this discussion group- much thanks). I just upgraded the router
to a new Linksys WRT54GS to expand the wireless throughput for other
computers connecting and have lost file sharing for the 2 above wired
computers. I cannot ping either computer but they do see each other. Also,
both have access to the internet through the new router. The ip address of
the new router is 192.168.2.1 where it was 192.168.1.1 for the previous
router. When I look at ipconfig /all, DNS is still mapped to 192.168.1.1.
Could this be the issue? I have a small business and this is a big impact.
Help, anyone? Thanks in advance. ChipS
 

My Computer

C

Chuck [MVP]

#2
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:45:00 -0700, ChipS <ChipS@xxxxxx>
wrote:

>I have a 2 computer wired network- one Windows XP desktop and one Vista
>laptop- that was running fine with file and print sharing (with much help
>from reading this discussion group- much thanks). I just upgraded the router
>to a new Linksys WRT54GS to expand the wireless throughput for other
>computers connecting and have lost file sharing for the 2 above wired
>computers. I cannot ping either computer but they do see each other. Also,
>both have access to the internet through the new router. The ip address of
>the new router is 192.168.2.1 where it was 192.168.1.1 for the previous
>router. When I look at ipconfig /all, DNS is still mapped to 192.168.1.1.
>Could this be the issue? I have a small business and this is a big impact.
>Help, anyone? Thanks in advance. ChipS
Chip,

I'd start by looking at the personal firewalls and other security programs. If
you changed to another subnet (192.168.2.n, instead of 192.168.1.n), you'll have
to update your security programs that filter by subnet.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
 

My Computer

C

ChipS

#3
Chuck, thanks. I had to actually go onto the Norton site, find their
uninstall utility and back out their install on the Vista laptop. All had
worked fine with this network for 7+ months- very frustrating. Do you have
any suggestions as to which virus/security packages seem to least impact LAN
configurations (especially a mixed XP Vista network)?



"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:45:00 -0700, ChipS <ChipS@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> >I have a 2 computer wired network- one Windows XP desktop and one Vista
> >laptop- that was running fine with file and print sharing (with much help
> >from reading this discussion group- much thanks). I just upgraded the router
> >to a new Linksys WRT54GS to expand the wireless throughput for other
> >computers connecting and have lost file sharing for the 2 above wired
> >computers. I cannot ping either computer but they do see each other. Also,
> >both have access to the internet through the new router. The ip address of
> >the new router is 192.168.2.1 where it was 192.168.1.1 for the previous
> >router. When I look at ipconfig /all, DNS is still mapped to 192.168.1.1.
> >Could this be the issue? I have a small business and this is a big impact.
> >Help, anyone? Thanks in advance. ChipS
>
> Chip,
>
> I'd start by looking at the personal firewalls and other security programs. If
> you changed to another subnet (192.168.2.n, instead of 192.168.1.n), you'll have
> to update your security programs that filter by subnet.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.
>
 

My Computer

C

Chuck [MVP]

#4
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:58:02 -0700, ChipS <ChipS@xxxxxx>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:45:00 -0700, ChipS <ChipS@xxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I have a 2 computer wired network- one Windows XP desktop and one Vista
>> >laptop- that was running fine with file and print sharing (with much help
>> >from reading this discussion group- much thanks). I just upgraded the router
>> >to a new Linksys WRT54GS to expand the wireless throughput for other
>> >computers connecting and have lost file sharing for the 2 above wired
>> >computers. I cannot ping either computer but they do see each other. Also,
>> >both have access to the internet through the new router. The ip address of
>> >the new router is 192.168.2.1 where it was 192.168.1.1 for the previous
>> >router. When I look at ipconfig /all, DNS is still mapped to 192.168.1.1.
>> >Could this be the issue? I have a small business and this is a big impact.
>> >Help, anyone? Thanks in advance. ChipS
>>
>> Chip,
>>
>> I'd start by looking at the personal firewalls and other security programs. If
>> you changed to another subnet (192.168.2.n, instead of 192.168.1.n), you'll have
>> to update your security programs that filter by subnet.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html

>Chuck, thanks. I had to actually go onto the Norton site, find their
>uninstall utility and back out their install on the Vista laptop. All had
>worked fine with this network for 7+ months- very frustrating. Do you have
>any suggestions as to which virus/security packages seem to least impact LAN
>configurations (especially a mixed XP Vista network)?
Chip,

Every security package contains surprises, and components that have to be
configured. You can't protect yourself without risks. You just have to
inventory the components that you have installed, and look at each one. And
read the user guide with each one.

You just have to diagnose your problems, one computer at a time, one layer at a
time. It's easier with 3 or more computers, but it can be done with 2.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)