• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Vista Upgrade or full version?

M

Mike F.

#1
My computer is capable of running Home Premium. My question is can I just
get the upgrade for $160, or do I have to buy the full version for $240? My
computer stats are....

2.8 ghz

250 gb hard drive

1 gig of ram

Pentium D

XP Media Center edition
 

My Computer

T

Tom Lake

#2
"Mike F." <Mike F.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:49AF0CE8-B07F-4686-B4CA-0141E7333554@microsoft.com...
> My computer is capable of running Home Premium. My question is can I just
> get the upgrade for $160, or do I have to buy the full version for $240?
> My
> computer stats are....


> XP Media Center edition


Since you already have XP installed, you can get the Upgrade version.
You can't install the XP CD on any other machine..

Tom Lake
 

My Computer

D

Dustin Harper

#3
You can just get the upgrade since you are running Windows XP Media
Center Edition. Save a few bucks!

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com



Mike F. wrote:
> My computer is capable of running Home Premium. My question is can I just
> get the upgrade for $160, or do I have to buy the full version for $240? My
> computer stats are....
>
> 2.8 ghz
>
> 250 gb hard drive
>
> 1 gig of ram
>
> Pentium D
>
> XP Media Center edition
>
 

My Computer

D

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

#4
Depending on your comfort level, there isn't any reason why you can't buy
the OEM version of windows Vista and save a buck or two. Newegg has the full
install of Vista Home Prem for $119
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116202
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116213

Problem is, there is no upgrade option with this vesion. it's a new install
only. Also changing out very many hardware components, might force you to
call Microsoft to get the key re-issued, but I've heard from several people
the process was simple and no one has been told no yet.




"Mike F." <Mike F.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:49AF0CE8-B07F-4686-B4CA-0141E7333554@microsoft.com...
> My computer is capable of running Home Premium. My question is can I just
> get the upgrade for $160, or do I have to buy the full version for $240?
> My
> computer stats are....
>
> 2.8 ghz
>
> 250 gb hard drive
>
> 1 gig of ram
>
> Pentium D
>
> XP Media Center edition
>
 

My Computer

M

Mike F.

#5
I do not need and xp disk? Just the new Vista dvd? All I have is the
system recovery disk that my computer came with.

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> You can just get the upgrade since you are running Windows XP Media
> Center Edition. Save a few bucks!
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
>
>
> Mike F. wrote:
> > My computer is capable of running Home Premium. My question is can I just
> > get the upgrade for $160, or do I have to buy the full version for $240? My
> > computer stats are....
> >
> > 2.8 ghz
> >
> > 250 gb hard drive
> >
> > 1 gig of ram
> >
> > Pentium D
> >
> > XP Media Center edition
> >

>
 

My Computer

D

Dave B.

#6
No you don't, the upgrade must be run from a functioning, activated XP
Installation.

--
----
Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.db-pc.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mike F." <MikeF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1725BF40-F117-4982-AC27-40389B409E06@microsoft.com...
>I do not need and xp disk? Just the new Vista dvd? All I have is the
> system recovery disk that my computer came with.
 

My Computer

M

Mike F.

#7
Thank You all for the answers. I will be purchasing the Home Premium Upgrade.



"Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" wrote:

> Depending on your comfort level, there isn't any reason why you can't buy
> the OEM version of windows Vista and save a buck or two. Newegg has the full
> install of Vista Home Prem for $119
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116202
> or
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116213
>
> Problem is, there is no upgrade option with this vesion. it's a new install
> only. Also changing out very many hardware components, might force you to
> call Microsoft to get the key re-issued, but I've heard from several people
> the process was simple and no one has been told no yet.
>
>
>
>
> "Mike F." <Mike F.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:49AF0CE8-B07F-4686-B4CA-0141E7333554@microsoft.com...
> > My computer is capable of running Home Premium. My question is can I just
> > get the upgrade for $160, or do I have to buy the full version for $240?
> > My
> > computer stats are....
> >
> > 2.8 ghz
> >
> > 250 gb hard drive
> >
> > 1 gig of ram
> >
> > Pentium D
> >
> > XP Media Center edition
> >

>
>
 

My Computer

S

SAM-R

#9
If you already have XP SP2 Activated and Genuine on your PC you can buy a
Vista Upgrade.
You did not say if you have XP Home, XP MCE, or XP PRO. So make sure you
know the upgrade paths of Vista.

This is from MS.

Start the installation from a compliant version of Windows, such as Windows
Vista, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windows 2000. After you have
started the installation, you can select Custom at the installation choice
screen to perform a clean installation.

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9775247B-356D-4E07-8B8D-0E72532523DB@microsoft.com...
> Quick Question. So if I want to do a "clean install", overwriting my
> current
> xp, I should buy the full version, correct?
 

My Computer

C

Colin Barnhorst

#10
You are not required to use the upgrade option. You can perform a custom
installation. This will move your XP to a windows.old folder along with the
other files on the system drive and then install a fresh copy of Vista. You
can then delete the windows.old folder. This is what MS is describing as a
clean install.

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9775247B-356D-4E07-8B8D-0E72532523DB@microsoft.com...
> Quick Question. So if I want to do a "clean install", overwriting my
> current
> xp, I should buy the full version, correct?
 

My Computer

S

SAM-R

#11
A clean install is Custom Install/Advanced/Format. No windows.old folder
left behind.

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
news:FD4261EF-600D-4198-9AE7-FEC495630E7C@microsoft.com...
> You are not required to use the upgrade option. You can perform a custom
> installation. This will move your XP to a windows.old folder along with
> the other files on the system drive and then install a fresh copy of
> Vista. You can then delete the windows.old folder. This is what MS is
> describing as a clean install.
>
> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9775247B-356D-4E07-8B8D-0E72532523DB@microsoft.com...
>> Quick Question. So if I want to do a "clean install", overwriting my
>> current
>> xp, I should buy the full version, correct?

>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)