• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Vista x64 Firewall

0iD

I tried installing Jetico twice, prior to installing any AV & both times it b0rkd the system. First time I installed it, i rebooted & was locked out of all accounts, even admin, in safe mode too. Second time it disabled my ethernet & try as i might i couldn't get it working again.

My Computer

dymy

for now u should try Trend Micro Internet Security - working great and its free for 60-days. after this there should be some stable freeware applications :)

My Computer

rjinzch

I use Kaspersky - flawless in VIsta 64b

I got totally fedup with Symantec - product kept dying on me with subscriptions issues a month after I bought it :mad: - support much worse than useless- Since switching life has been very calm and very secure :D and that is worth the money alone. I was a ten year symantec customer... no more.

Products

My Computer

Asky

Here to Help
I am waiting for Outpost Firewall to be released for Vista X64,its the best Software FW i have used.
Dunno how far they've gotten but they have released a security suite for XP X64 so.. heres me Hoping they release one for Vista X64 asap :)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
    XBOX 360 Controller | Vista X64 | Simpledrive 500GB

fpardi

I started off with Norton back in the late 90's. Got fed up with it after a few months - it sucks up way too much system resources. Than I switched to ZoneAlarm and was pleased up until about 3-4 months ago when they released a new update which gave me problems. All this under XP Home. Than I switched to F-Secure! Excellent user interface without using much memory. Very pleased with it. In about a month I will build my new Vista 64 system and wanted to use F-Secure Internet Security 2007. Currently they support only 32 bit. BUT, I am waiting...

My Computer

satani

i'm actually using the bit-defender all-in-one beta 2008 (antivirus, antispyware and firewall) for my vista ultimate x64. before this i used symantec client x64, i wasn't satisfied with this becaused it turned itself off too much.

My Computer

Nafcom

Don't you have a router with a hardware firewall (NAT etc)? :/
That's a thing many people do not understand. Desktop firewalls are for controlling which prg/proccess may access to the internet. NAT firewalls only control ports for traffic, not prgs/proccess permissions.

So you should have both for best security.

My Computer

spleen

Kaspersky Is King,,had Issues With Loads Of Security Software,but Since Putting On Kasp Internet Security 7,,had No Problems,,expensive,,but The Best Always Is..lol

My Computer

I've tried Kaspersky and it gave me a BSOD once so I uninstalled it. What I found curious is that I'm running AVG 7.5 (free edition) and Kaspersky didn't find any viruses that AVG didn't.

As much as I hate the bloat from ZAP, I really like the protection it gives. If they offered a 64-bit version of it, I'd probably use it. Vista's firewall is pretty good, but it fails most leak tests. Still, I think you're pretty safe with it, especially if you have a router connected as well and I do. Still, I'd like to have a good software firewall aside from Vista's default one.

Any other ideas besides the ones already listed?

My Computer

spleen

what version of kaspersky did u try,I had probs with version 6,but there is a version 7 (beta) u can get from their site which is the one i have,with no issues at all,might be worth u trying it if u used ver 6

My Computer

I'm not sure, I deleted it, but I'm sure it wasn't the beta, and it was in the 6 range, but I can't tell you exactly, only version 6. Yeah, I got a BSOD with it for some reason and that was enough to turn me off pretty fast!

Anyway, I actually really like AVG, but while the Vista firewall is ok, it's not that great too. Maybe I'll give Kaspersky beta 7 a try. There aren't that many Vista x64 antiviruses and firewalls available as of yet.

My Computer

Asky

Here to Help
^Yep until Agnitum releases something for Vista,KIS 6 (Kaspersky Internet Security) or KIS 7 would be the best Security software that u can buy for vista (My personal opinion !)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
    XBOX 360 Controller | Vista X64 | Simpledrive 500GB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)