• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Visual studio on Vista

Y

yarda

#1
Has anyone tried to install Visual Studio 2008 on Vista?
Installation crashes and crashes. So does the installation of
Express editions. Why cannot a Microsoft program run
on a Microsoft operating system? Weird.

jb
 

My Computer

#3
What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
are some that cause problems.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

<yarda@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:88cfbdec-413c-48ee-887a-131a220675e9@xxxxxx

> Has anyone tried to install Visual Studio 2008 on Vista?
> Installation crashes and crashes. So does the installation of
> Express editions. Why cannot a Microsoft program run
> on a Microsoft operating system? Weird.
>
> jb
 

My Computer

A

Apply_Directly_To_Forehead

#4
<yarda@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:88cfbdec-413c-48ee-887a-131a220675e9@xxxxxx

> Has anyone tried to install Visual Studio 2008 on Vista?
> Installation crashes and crashes. So does the installation of
> Express editions. Why cannot a Microsoft program run
> on a Microsoft operating system? Weird.
>
> jb
It's not weird. I have Vista and Visual Studio 2008 running. No problems.
On your Vista machine, was it a clean install or an upgrade? Do you have a
current antivirus software running? Is it up to date?

What are your system specs? Do you have the latest motherboard drivers,
video drivers installed? How about patches? Have you installed Vista
patches? I could go on and on.

I know about 4 or 5 others who have successfully installed VS 2008 on Vista.
 

My Computer

K

Kurt Herman

#5
Runs fine on my system. Did you install as admin?

Kurt

<dev@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:#ZpubI6kIHA.2304@xxxxxx

> /yarda@xxxxxx/ said:

>> Has anyone tried to install Visual Studio 2008 on Vista?
>> Installation crashes and crashes. So does the installation of
>> Express editions. Why cannot a Microsoft program run
>> on a Microsoft operating system? Weird.
>>
>> jb
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2005/aa948853.aspx
 

My Computer

M

Mike Brannigan

#6
<dev@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23ZpubI6kIHA.2304@xxxxxx

> /yarda@xxxxxx/ said:

>> Has anyone tried to install Visual Studio 2008 on Vista?
>> Installation crashes and crashes. So does the installation of
>> Express editions. Why cannot a Microsoft program run
>> on a Microsoft operating system? Weird.
>>
>> jb
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2005/aa948853.aspx
That link is for Visual Studio 2005.
The OPs post was about VS 2008.

--

Mike Brannigan
 

My Computer

S

Steve Thackery

#7
I can only concur with the others. It works fine on my system. There must
be a problem specific to your setup. Perhaps you could give more details
about your system, and exactly what is going wrong.

SteveT
 

My Computer

T

Tony Wakefield

#8
Hi, I had problem installing Vs2008 90 day trial. I did a Google and found
many posts with same basic issue.
Vista Ultimate (original OEM install) on ASUS F3SV laptop 2 gig Mem etc.
Downloaded ISO and burnt DVD.
Start install goes ok until it gets to NETFX35 then appears to hang, wait 1
hr still no action. Abort and re-boot. Try again same result.

What I found:
If I access the DVD (explorer) whilst install running(hung) then the install
will carry on OK until it get to the next big part. If the DVD spins down
because the install is busy unpacking files and doing what ever checks, when
it next needs the DVD it does not spin up the drive, hence the apparent hang.
So if you access the drive from explorer at each hang you can get through the
install.
The quick fix is to copy the DVD files to the HD and do install from HD.

I had no problem with the install on XP and others have reported the same
issues with Vista Ultimate. I also have the Visual Studio Express products
installed and these installed OK.

I tried to report my findings via Australian Microsoft Support but went
round the usual loop of being told that I could not report this issue and had
to use the web support.microsoft.com but was asked for product ID which the
90 day trial does not have and they wanted to charge me. So finally arrived
here. Hope you can make use of this info.

Tony Wakefield

"Steve Thackery" wrote:

> I can only concur with the others. It works fine on my system. There must
> be a problem specific to your setup. Perhaps you could give more details
> about your system, and exactly what is going wrong.
>
> SteveT
>
>
 

My Computer

T

Timothy Daniels

#9
Re copying the DVD files to HD - do you just copy all the files
to a single folder on the HD? What is the name of the executable
file that starts the whole installation ball rolling? Thanks for the
heads-up on VS 2008-on-Vista-problem solution. I am preparing
to do the same thing (as soon as I can get a copy of the Academic
Edition).

*TimDaniels*

"Tony Wakefield" wrote:

> Hi, I had problem installing Vs2008 90 day trial. I did a Google
> and found many posts with same basic issue.
> Vista Ultimate (original OEM install) on ASUS F3SV laptop
> 2 gig Mem etc. Downloaded ISO and burnt DVD.
> Start install goes ok until it gets to NETFX35 then appears to
> hang, wait 1 hr still no action. Abort and re-boot. Try again
> same result.
>
> What I found:
> If I access the DVD (explorer) whilst install running(hung) then
> the install will carry on OK until it get to the next big part. If the
> DVD spins down because the install is busy unpacking files and
> doing what ever checks, when it next needs the DVD it does not
> spin up the drive, hence the apparent hang.
> So if you access the drive from explorer at each hang you can get
> through the install.
> The quick fix is to copy the DVD files to the HD and do install
> from HD.
>
> I had no problem with the install on XP and others have reported
> the same issues with Vista Ultimate. I also have the Visual Studio
> Express products installed and these installed OK.
 

My Computer

T

Tony Wakefield

#10
Hi Tim,

Yes just copy all files to a new folder (open DVD in explorer then CTRL A to
select all files and folders, now drag to new folder or copy and paste).
The file to run is 'Setup.exe' this will bring up the window with 3 items
select VS2008 install. Take 1-2 hrs to install including the help files.
If you have a second physical HD then use that to copy the files too it will
speed up things a little.

Regards Tony

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

> Re copying the DVD files to HD - do you just copy all the files
> to a single folder on the HD? What is the name of the executable
> file that starts the whole installation ball rolling? Thanks for the
> heads-up on VS 2008-on-Vista-problem solution. I am preparing
> to do the same thing (as soon as I can get a copy of the Academic
> Edition).
>
> *TimDaniels*
>
> "Tony Wakefield" wrote:

> > Hi, I had problem installing Vs2008 90 day trial. I did a Google
> > and found many posts with same basic issue.
> > Vista Ultimate (original OEM install) on ASUS F3SV laptop
> > 2 gig Mem etc. Downloaded ISO and burnt DVD.
> > Start install goes ok until it gets to NETFX35 then appears to
> > hang, wait 1 hr still no action. Abort and re-boot. Try again
> > same result.
> >
> > What I found:
> > If I access the DVD (explorer) whilst install running(hung) then
> > the install will carry on OK until it get to the next big part. If the
> > DVD spins down because the install is busy unpacking files and
> > doing what ever checks, when it next needs the DVD it does not
> > spin up the drive, hence the apparent hang.
> > So if you access the drive from explorer at each hang you can get
> > through the install.
> > The quick fix is to copy the DVD files to the HD and do install
> > from HD.
> >
> > I had no problem with the install on XP and others have reported
> > the same issues with Vista Ultimate. I also have the Visual Studio
> > Express products installed and these installed OK.
>
>
>
 

My Computer

T

Timothy Daniels

#11
Thanks much for the tip!

*TimDaniels*

"Tony Wakefield" wrote:

> Yes just copy all files to a new folder (open DVD in explorer then
> CTRL A to select all files and folders, now drag to new folder or
> copy and paste).
> The file to run is 'Setup.exe'. This will bring up the window with
> 3 items. Select VS2008 install. Takes 1-2 hrs to install, including
> the help files.
> If you have a second physical HD, then use that to copy the files to.
> It will speed up things a little.
>
> Regards Tony
>
> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
>

>> Re copying the DVD files to HD - do you just copy all the files
>> to a single folder on the HD? What is the name of the executable
>> file that starts the whole installation ball rolling? Thanks for the
>> heads-up on VS 2008-on-Vista-problem solution. I am preparing
>> to do the same thing (as soon as I can get a copy of the Academic
>> Edition).
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>>
>> "Tony Wakefield" wrote:

>> > Hi, I had problem installing Vs2008 90 day trial. I did a Google
>> > and found many posts with same basic issue.
>> > Vista Ultimate (original OEM install) on ASUS F3SV laptop
>> > 2 gig Mem etc. Downloaded ISO and burnt DVD.
>> > Start install goes ok until it gets to NETFX35 then appears to
>> > hang, wait 1 hr still no action. Abort and re-boot. Try again
>> > same result.
>> >
>> > What I found:
>> > If I access the DVD (explorer) whilst install running(hung) then
>> > the install will carry on OK until it get to the next big part. If the
>> > DVD spins down because the install is busy unpacking files and
>> > doing what ever checks, when it next needs the DVD it does not
>> > spin up the drive, hence the apparent hang.
>> > So if you access the drive from explorer at each hang you can get
>> > through the install.
>> > The quick fix is to copy the DVD files to the HD and do install
>> > from HD.
>> >
>> > I had no problem with the install on XP and others have reported
>> > the same issues with Vista Ultimate. I also have the Visual Studio
>> > Express products installed and these installed OK.
>>
>>
>>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)