Windows 6.0 Updates: 2 Years after Vista's "EOL"

Vistaar

Vista Guru
April 11, 2017 was supposed to be Doomsday for Windows Vista. A Vista News item, End of the road: Microsoft terminates support for Windows Vista today was posted that eventually had 19 replies, in which @Jody Thornton advocated the unorthodox idea that updates for Windows Server 2008 SP2 could be used to patch Windows Vista SP2 until January 2020. I was quite dubious of this idea at the time, hence none of those replies were from me. That was the closest this forum ever came to having a thread about Server 2008 updates for Vista, although Jody had more success at MSFN, where his thread Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista became the standard reference on the subject. Jody never actually convinced me, however Microsoft has convinced me!

It turns out that every Windows update includes a text file that can be extracted with 7-Zip or similar software. For example, take KB3205638, which was an official Windows Vista SP2 update - in fact one of the well-known speed-up patches that must be manually installed before Windows Update has any hope of running to completion. This is the text file it contains:
ApplicabilityInfo="Windows Vista SP2;Windows Server Core SP2;Windows Server 2008 SP2;"
Applies to="Windows 6.0"
Build Date="2016/11/11"
Company="Microsoft Corporation"
File Version="1"
Installation Type="FULL"
Installer Engine="Component Based Servicing - WUSA.exe"
Installer Version="6.0.0.0"
KB Article Number="3205638"
Language="ALL"
Package Type="Security Update"
Processor Architecture="x86"
Product Name="Windows 6.0"
Support Link="http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=3205638"
Of course ApplicabilityInfo mentions Windows Vista SP2, but why does it also list Windows Server 2008 SP2? Because they are both Windows 6.0! Now let's look at the text file from KB4056564, which is a Windows Server 2008 SP2 update that adds support for TLS 1.1 and 1.2 for Internet Explorer 9 (and supersedes the earlier KB4019276, as I mentioned in IE9: Last Supported Browser for Vista):
ApplicabilityInfo="Windows Vista SP2;Windows Server Core SP2;Windows Server 2008 SP2;"
Applies to="Windows 6.0"
Build Date="2018/04/27"
File Version="2"
Installation Type="FULL"
KB Article Number="4056564"
Language="ALL"
Processor Architecture="x86"
Support Link="http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=4056564"
The remarkable thing is that ApplicabilityInfo has not changed at all, even though this update was released a year after Vista's "EOL." As far as Microsoft is concerned, one Windows 6.0 patch has the same applicability as another - and who are we to argue with Microsoft?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

wither 3

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Thanks townsbg. I found a Local Storage folder in the Opera Stable folder. It seems to list everywhere one has been. The problem is that I had tried to install Vista on that former primary drive and there's not much in the Windows Old folders which were created.

I did some extensive searching and I think this is the website with all the updates-

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps

Vistaar

Vista Guru
I did some extensive searching and I think this is the website with all the updates-
That is indeed MSFN member greenhillmaniac's repository. Of course you could download all the updates from Microsoft, but greenhillmaniac has tried to make things simple - speaking of which, MSFN member WinClient5270 has a video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjBKPkvA190

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

wither 3

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Phew! This is screwed up. When I see your reply in my e-mail, it takes me to townsbg' thread but neither your reply nor mine are there. I copied my reply here over to his thread.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps

Vistaar

Vista Guru
...When I see your reply in my e-mail, it takes me to townsbg' thread but neither your reply nor mine are there. I copied my reply here over to his thread.
I presume that an administrator moved posts #2 and #3 from ScousaJAY's old thread windows update just seems to hang while checking (resurrected by townsbg earlier this month) to here (quite possibly at Imacri's request) on grounds that they were undeniably off topic there, like so many of your posts everywhere. I might not have been so indulgent of you myself, except that ScousaJAY's thread has been unreadably long for 3 years anyway, and there hasn't actually been anything new to say on that topic for 2 years (hence my limited interest in the adventures of townsbg and yourself). I have only one objection to this new arrangement: It seems that you are once again a poster in a thread that I started for F.Y.I. purposes - not because I wanted to assist you personally, much less chat with you. For the time being, this thread is short, concise, and not bloated with OT rubbish, and I would very much like to keep it that way. Therefore, please start your own thread immediately.

Thank you!

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

wither 3

Vista Guru
Gold Member
No reason to start another thread. We're doing nicely in the other one.

I did appreciate that you confirmed my link.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps

Vistaar

Vista Guru
...who are we to argue with Microsoft?
Aside from the idle speculations of naysayers (who should carefully consider post #1 before posting here), the only real concern about installing these updates is that they might break software that worked perfectly on Vista as of April 2017. After two years, there are only two known examples of that:

Microsoft's first patches for the Meltdown and Spectre Exploits for Windows Server 2008 SP2 reportedly broke Sandboxie 5.24 (which did not officially support Vista by that time, but was apparently still usable). However, those patches were later superseded, and the current Sandboxie 5.28 reportedly works on Vista x86 patched to April 2019.

In August 2018, there was a belated report that a program called Chief Architect rendered much more slowly due to an unidentified Server 2008 patch issued in April/May/June of 2018. If any architects running Windows Vista are reading this, you have been warned.

Granted, there might be more known examples of broken software if more of Vista's few remaining users were installing these patches.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, the April 2019 updates change the build number to 6.0.6003, which might have greater potential to break software than any of the previous updates since Vista's "EOL." That might not be the only reason to avoid them: The equivalent patches for Windows 7 and 8.1 have caused serious problems (e.g. see this AskWoody post). However, the problems generally involve specific security software that no longer supports Vista anyway. One person running Vista has reported a problem related to VMware after installing the April 2019 updates.

In summary, I don't know of any good reason not to patch Vista to March 2019, but April 2019 does look rather scary at the moment.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Naysayers are effectively arguing that Microsoft committed an oversight by not blocking installation of Windows Server 2008 SP2 updates on Vista. In post #1, I have effectively shown that Microsoft's presumed oversight even extends to listing Windows Vista SP2 as an applicable OS in a text file that average users would never see. What OS would naysayers say Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone was designed for? I would say it was designed for Windows 6.0, and that this is the rule rather than the exception. (There was no SP1 for Server 2008 because its RTM build number was 6.0.6001, a.k.a. Vista SP1.)

This is not to say that every last Windows 6.0 update was applicable to Vista. I was able to find two exceptions rather easily: In April 2017, Microsoft posted KB3211308 and KB3217841 for Windows Server 2008 without posting equivalent versions for Vista because these were security updates for Hyper-V, which is a feature not included in Vista. Of course I would not be able to install x64 patches on my Vista SP2 x86 system in any event, but I downloaded one of them just to extract the text file for scrutiny. As expected, Windows Vista SP2 is not listed in ApplicabilityInfo:
ApplicabilityInfo="Windows Server Core SP2;Windows Server 2008 SP2;"
Applies to="Windows 6.0"
Build Date="2017/03/07"
File Version="1"
Installation Type="FULL"
KB Article Number="3211308"
Language="ALL"
Processor Architecture="amd64"
Support Link="http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=3211308"

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Vistaar

Vista Guru
The [April 2019] patches for Windows 7 and 8.1 have caused serious problems (e.g. see this AskWoody post). However, the problems generally involve specific security software that no longer supports Vista anyway. One person running Vista has reported a problem related to VMware after installing the April 2019 updates.
Unfortunately, the April and May 2019 rollups for Windows 6.0 reportedly break compatibility with the last version of Avast that supported Vista. :(

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Jody Thornton

Power User
I guess that would pretty much mean the end of the line for the updates. I nopticed when I was running uTorrent v2.2.1 (I know it's old, but I prefer it), some Server 2008 update past April 2018 cause the application to not shutdown properly. I went back to an update level of March 2018 - all was good.

As of right now on Windows 8, I only have installed Server 2012 updates to November 2017. It seems the (even if one skips the Spectre and Meltdown updates from the first quarter of 2018), that all versions of Windows suffer a noticeable performance hit. So now all I install are the IE10 and Flash updates. My Windows 8 installation is only updated to a November 2017 level.

Some good reading in this MSFN thread:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Two Intel Xeon Core2 Quad 3.2 GHz Processors
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia Quadro FX 3800 PCI-E
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 4x3 Flat Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    Two Seagate Cheetah 300 GB SAS Disks
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    HP xw8600 Workstation Case
    Cooling
    Two CPU Fans and One Larger Cooling Fan
    Mouse
    Microsoft USB Optical Mouse
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Other Info
    Storage Interface: Two LSI 3000 SAS Adapters
    Browser: Firefox Quantum ESR 60.2.0

Vistaar

Vista Guru
I guess that would pretty much mean the end of the line for the updates...
Once our prophet of hope, now our prophet of doom? This reminds me of the part of your Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista thread where you uninstalled months of security updates after JohnRichardTLH reported an issue with a legacy version of Chief Architect.

I presume it was my report of Avast being broken that inspired you to write something so uninspiring. (BTW that also applied to AVG.) In the first place, Avast ended support for Vista on December 1, 2018, as you know. In the second place, it nevertheless looks like Avast has fixed the issue.

This is obviously not the right forum to discuss Windows 8; but you seem to fancy yourself as a "big picture" guy, so here's my take: History is repeating itself, and Windows 8.1 is "the new Vista": Due to its small user base, software vendors may end support for 8.1 even before Microsoft ends support for it, and they may not support it a day longer than they support "the new XP" (Windows 7). As for Windows 8.0, if those Server 2012 updates (which are only available in x64) are as unsatisfactory as you now say, that only confirms the conventional wisdom that the only promising upgrade path for Vista-era hardware is Windows 7.

If anyone still doubts that updates for Server 2008 SP2 are applicable to Vista SP2, read this Microsoft page.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Jody Thornton

Power User
Once our prophet of hope, now our prophet of doom? This reminds me of the part of your Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista thread where you uninstalled months of security updates after JohnRichardTLH reported an issue with a legacy version of Chief Architect.

I presume it was my report of Avast being broken that inspired you to write something so uninspiring. (BTW that also applied to AVG.) In the first place, Avast ended support for Vista on December 1, 2018, as you know. In the second place, it nevertheless looks like Avast has fixed the issue.
Holy Smokes! That's a tad unfair. Look, I was EXTREMELY optimistic about the updates extending the life of these Windows versions. Most DM Forums aren't even discussing to this level of interest. However, we need to be practical in terms of issues that these updates might present. You were not the first place I've heard about the Avast issues. It was on MSFN. The build number on Vista increased with the May update (or was it April - can't remember), and so there were some application issues as a result.

As for my uTorrent troubles, they were very real, so I can't ignore them. That doesn't mean I'm being negative. When I look up to the sky, I see that it's blue, and I call it blue. That doesn't constitute negativity.

As for the Windows 8 situation, I plan to install the updates post 2017 at the end of the year, minus the Spectre/Meltdown one. We'll see how it goes.

You ask if I'm a "Big Picture" guy. Yes, I would say that I am. I used to become mired in intricate details, but there is so much more to life than all of this, so I do look at the big picture now.

EDIT: Are you also on MSFN Vistaar?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    Cooling
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Other Info

erpster4

well Vista & Server 2008 R0 SP2 users will not be receiving any new updates beyond July 9, 2019 unless the two SHA-2 updates (KB4493730 and KB4474419) have been installed as noted in Microsoft support KB article 4472027.

install those SHA-2 updates in order to continue receiving new updates until Jan. 2020.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 640m/e1405 laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33Ghz
    Memory
    4Gb (3.24Gb usable to OS)
    Sound Card
    Sigmatel/IDT STAC9200
    Internet Speed
    Spectrum Cable Internet up to 100Mbps

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Jody never actually convinced me, however Microsoft has convinced me!
Furthermore, no one who abandoned Windows 6.0 in September 2018 is going to convince me otherwise! If patching Windows 6.0 is just too much trouble, there's always Linux - or better yet, buy a Windows 10 PC.
install those SHA-2 updates in order to continue receiving new updates until Jan. 2020.
Of course Vista does not "receive" new updates; users who understand the importance of patching their OS have to install the Windows 6.0 updates themselves. We evidently don't have many such users at this forum; but if they exist, they have probably installed SHA-2 support by now. A question of greater interest here is whether it will still be possible to update Vista to April 2017 standards after reinstalling (as if patches that old still have much security value). I suppose we will find out the next time a Vista user with no backup image tries to reinstall.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Jody Thornton

Power User
Of course Vista does not "receive" new updates; users who understand the importance of patching their OS have to install the Windows 6.0 updates themselves. We evidently don't have many such users at this forum; but if they exist, they have probably installed SHA-2 support by now. A question of greater interest here is whether it will still be possible to update Vista to April 2017 standards after reinstalling (as if patches that old still have much security value). I suppose we will find out the next time a Vista user with no backup image tries to reinstall.
MSFN might be of some help here. User Greenhillmaniac is about to upload a repository of post-SP2 updates to a site, which I will link to here when I know better (or else you can visit the "Vista" section of MSFN Forums. So all you need is either SP2 or an installation with SP2 built-in.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    Cooling
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Other Info

Vistaar

Vista Guru
MSFN might be of some help here. User Greenhillmaniac is about to upload a repository of post-SP2 updates to a site, which I will link to here when I know better (or else you can visit the "Vista" section of MSFN Forums. So all you need is either SP2 or an installation with SP2 built-in.
This would be the wrong thread. When I said "here" I meant this forum, not this thread. Around here, Windows 6.0 (Vista) and Windows 6.0 (Server) are still generally believed to be two completely different operating systems, and installing updates for the "wrong" Windows 6.0 might cause your system to become unstable and explode like nitroglycerin! I started this thread in an effort to dispel such rubbish, but I have obviously failed - just as you failed before me. Their plan with respect to BlueKeep exploits is apparently to keep a 2017 calendar hanging on the wall and hope for the best.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT