Windows 7 x64 msnmsgr.exe crash

C

Caesar

When Windows Live Messenger starts up when I log in, I very often get an
application crash. Details are:

Source
Windows Live Messenger

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎3/‎31/‎2010 19:53

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
Application Version: 14.0.8089.726
Application Timestamp: 4a6ce533
Fault Module Name: unknown
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 10100002
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
LCID: 1033
Bucket ID: 713125320

I've uninstaled Messenger, deleted my contacts cache, deleted the leftover
registry keys, and reinstalled Messenger, and the problem persists. Any
other ideas?
 

My Computer

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings,

Usually such problems are related to something hooked to the Messenger window. Unfortunately
you'd have to analyze the crash dump for more details which is rather involved.

Did this just start recently by chance,? If so, you can backtrack what you've installed and
uninstall to figure it out.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--


"Caesar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> When Windows Live Messenger starts up when I log in, I very often get an
> application crash. Details are:
>
> Source
> Windows Live Messenger
>
> Summary
> Stopped working
>
> Date
> ?3/?31/?2010 19:53
>
> Status
> Report sent
>
> Description
> Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
> Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: BEX
> Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
> Application Version: 14.0.8089.726
> Application Timestamp: 4a6ce533
> Fault Module Name: unknown
> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> Exception Offset: 10100002
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Data: 00000008
> OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Extra information about the problem
> LCID: 1033
> Bucket ID: 713125320
>
> I've uninstaled Messenger, deleted my contacts cache, deleted the leftover
> registry keys, and reinstalled Messenger, and the problem persists. Any
> other ideas?
 

My Computer

P

PapaJoemon

Hi Caesar,

I have the same problem with a brand new Dell. When the computer boots up
MsnMsgr.exe fails to load:

Faulting application name: msnmsgr.exe, version: 14.0.8089.726, time stamp:
0x4a6ce533
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00024886
Faulting process id: 0xdc8
Faulting application start time: 0x01caf4363d6acae7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 81f804ef-6029-11df-a62e-00262d20ea40

However, once the program shuts down I can sign in and the program loads and
works. I called Dell but they want $120 for software support. I looked to
Microsoft and no help there of course. I am still looking for the answer and
will post a solution here when I find it.




"Caesar" wrote:

> When Windows Live Messenger starts up when I log in, I very often get an
> application crash. Details are:
>
> Source
> Windows Live Messenger
>
> Summary
> Stopped working
>
> Date
> ‎3/‎31/‎2010 19:53
>
> Status
> Report sent
>
> Description
> Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
> Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: BEX
> Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
> Application Version: 14.0.8089.726
> Application Timestamp: 4a6ce533
> Fault Module Name: unknown
> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> Exception Offset: 10100002
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Data: 00000008
> OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Extra information about the problem
> LCID: 1033
> Bucket ID: 713125320
>
> I've uninstaled Messenger, deleted my contacts cache, deleted the leftover
> registry keys, and reinstalled Messenger, and the problem persists. Any
> other ideas?
 

My Computer

R

Robert Aldwinckle

"PapaJoemon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Hi Caesar,
>
> I have the same problem with a brand new Dell. When the computer boots up
> MsnMsgr.exe fails to load:
>
> Faulting application name: msnmsgr.exe, version: 14.0.8089.726, time
> stamp:
> 0x4a6ce533

> Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
> Exception code: 0xc0000005
> Fault offset: 0x00024886

Looks like a wild branch. You would need a STack Back Trace to get more
clues. That is a diagnostic which used to be easily available via
drwtsn32.log but Dr Watson isn't used in W7 any more. I suppose the
official method of getting such information would be windbg but you might
more easily be able to get some useful Stack information from either ProcExp
or ProcMon.


> Faulting process id: 0xdc8
> Faulting application start time: 0x01caf4363d6acae7
> Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
> Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
> Faulting module path: unknown
> Report Id: 81f804ef-6029-11df-a62e-00262d20ea40
>
> However, once the program shuts down I can sign in and the program loads
> and
> works. I called Dell but they want $120 for software support. I looked to
> Microsoft and no help there of course.

> I am still looking for the answer and will post a solution here when I
> find it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


>
>
>
>
> "Caesar" wrote:
>

>> When Windows Live Messenger starts up when I log in, I very often get an
>> application crash. Details are:
>>
>> Source
>> Windows Live Messenger
>>
>> Summary
>> Stopped working
>>
>> Date
>> ‎3/‎31/‎2010 19:53
>>
>> Status
>> Report sent
>>
>> Description
>> Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
>> Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
>>
>> Problem signature
>> Problem Event Name: BEX
>> Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
>> Application Version: 14.0.8089.726
>> Application Timestamp: 4a6ce533
>> Fault Module Name: unknown
>> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
>> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
>> Exception Offset: 10100002
>> Exception Code: c0000005
>> Exception Data: 00000008
>> OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
>> Locale ID: 1033
>>
>> Extra information about the problem
>> LCID: 1033
>> Bucket ID: 713125320
>>
>> I've uninstaled Messenger, deleted my contacts cache, deleted the
>> leftover
>> registry keys, and reinstalled Messenger, and the problem persists. Any
>> other ideas?
 

My Computer

J

Johnny

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

I am running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS. My Windows Live
Messenger stops working when I log on to Windows. Can someone please help me.
 

My Computer

Top