Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

D

Drew Edmundson

I can't get Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) to use the contacts from
Outlook 2007. Running Vista Ultimate 64 on an SBS 2003 network. Using
the server's shared fax. This worked when I had Vista Ultimate 32
installed.

Unsuccesful steps I have tried.

I have run a repair install of Office. I have deleted my old profile
and created a new one. Please note that since I am running on SBS 2003
premium I use Exchange 2003 so I don't lose my contacts, e-mails, etc.
when I delete the profile. I have rebooted. I have deleted the fax
account and added it back.

When I click on the address book icon my contacts appear and those
with fax numbers are listed.

What I get for contacts are the one created by Windows Mail for me. I
have never used Windows Mail on this PC.

TIA for your assistance.

Drew
 

My Computer

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

At the OS level: Make sure you set Outlook for all its capabilities and
Windows Mail for none of its. Reboot.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>I can't get Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) to use the contacts from
> Outlook 2007. Running Vista Ultimate 64 on an SBS 2003 network. Using
> the server's shared fax. This worked when I had Vista Ultimate 32
> installed.
>
> Unsuccesful steps I have tried.
>
> I have run a repair install of Office. I have deleted my old profile
> and created a new one. Please note that since I am running on SBS 2003
> premium I use Exchange 2003 so I don't lose my contacts, e-mails, etc.
> when I delete the profile. I have rebooted. I have deleted the fax
> account and added it back.
>
> When I click on the address book icon my contacts appear and those
> with fax numbers are listed.
>
> What I get for contacts are the one created by Windows Mail for me. I
> have never used Windows Mail on this PC.
>
> TIA for your assistance.
>
> Drew
 

My Computer

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Also, could you check and make sure your WFS client is able to connect to
and send through your server's fax printer?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>I can't get Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) to use the contacts from
> Outlook 2007. Running Vista Ultimate 64 on an SBS 2003 network. Using
> the server's shared fax. This worked when I had Vista Ultimate 32
> installed.
>
> Unsuccesful steps I have tried.
>
> I have run a repair install of Office. I have deleted my old profile
> and created a new one. Please note that since I am running on SBS 2003
> premium I use Exchange 2003 so I don't lose my contacts, e-mails, etc.
> when I delete the profile. I have rebooted. I have deleted the fax
> account and added it back.
>
> When I click on the address book icon my contacts appear and those
> with fax numbers are listed.
>
> What I get for contacts are the one created by Windows Mail for me. I
> have never used Windows Mail on this PC.
>
> TIA for your assistance.
>
> Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:14:54 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>At the OS level: Make sure you set Outlook for all its capabilities and
>Windows Mail for none of its. Reboot.

Thank you for the assistance. Outlook has all its defaults. Windows
Mail only has .eml. Unfortunately it is grayed out and I am unable to
change it.

Drew
 

My Computer

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
Spell out the details here, please.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:14:54 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>At the OS level: Make sure you set Outlook for all its capabilities and
>>Windows Mail for none of its. Reboot.
>
> Thank you for the assistance. Outlook has all its defaults. Windows
> Mail only has .eml. Unfortunately it is grayed out and I am unable to
> change it.
>
> Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:06:37 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
>problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
>Spell out the details here, please.

I am running as an Administrator. There does not appear to be a way to
select "run as adminstrator" when changing default programs. When I
click on the .eml protocol nothing happens. The same thing happens
when I try to uncheck the box with the space bar.

If it is any help, Windows Contacts has 4 of 5 defaults. I cannot
uncheck them - .contact, .group, .p7c, and LDAP.

I have taken my laptop home and am unable to send a fax via the server
at this time.

Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:23:30 -0500, Drew Edmundson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:06:37 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
>>problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
>>Spell out the details here, please.
>
>I am running as an Administrator. There does not appear to be a way to
>select "run as adminstrator" when changing default programs. When I
>click on the .eml protocol nothing happens. The same thing happens
>when I try to uncheck the box with the space bar.
>
>If it is any help, Windows Contacts has 4 of 5 defaults. I cannot
>uncheck them - .contact, .group, .p7c, and LDAP.
>
>I have taken my laptop home and am unable to send a fax via the server
>at this time.

I was able to remove the last protocl from Windows Mail by using
"associate a file type or protocol with a program" then i rebooted.
Still don't get the outlook contacts when i open WFS.

Drew
 

My Computer

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone to
repro.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:06:37 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
>>problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
>>Spell out the details here, please.
>
> I am running as an Administrator. There does not appear to be a way to
> select "run as adminstrator" when changing default programs. When I
> click on the .eml protocol nothing happens. The same thing happens
> when I try to uncheck the box with the space bar.
>
> If it is any help, Windows Contacts has 4 of 5 defaults. I cannot
> uncheck them - .contact, .group, .p7c, and LDAP.
>
> I have taken my laptop home and am unable to send a fax via the server
> at this time.
>
> Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 07:15:24 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
>You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone to
>repro.

I don't have a host of problems. When I open up WFS and click on the
"To:" button the Windows Mail list of contacts opens. Only I am listed
as a contact in the Windows Mail contacts. I use Outlook 2007 for all
my e-mail and Forte Agent for my newsgroups. I thought that Outlook
contacts would be the default for WFS as it was on my old Vista 32
bit.

I can connect to the fax server and can send faxes via Outlook but
that is not the way I want to fax.

The "problem" with setting the defaults was that I didn't realize that
some defaults have to be set via "associate a file type or protocol
with a program" instead of the "set your default programs" link.

Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:47:19 -0400, Drew Edmundson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 07:15:24 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
>>You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone to
>>repro.

I will try to do as you suggest. I installed Windows Vista 64 bit to
the laptop. Connected to our SBS 2003 server and downloaded all the
Windows updates. Installed MS Office 2007. Added my Exchange account
to Outlook 2007. Now when I try to select contacts from within WFS I
get the Windows Mail contacts not the Outlook contacts.

As a side note, it is impossible to click on the Windows icon in the
task bar and then right click on "Default Programs" and select run as
Administrator. My problem with setting the defaults was I did not
understand that some have to be set via "set program access and
computer defaults" instead of via "set your default programs."

Are you running Vista 64 bit? Is anyone running Vista 64 bit and
getting Outlook contacts in WFS?

TIA,

Drew
 

My Computer

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for all
of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:47:19 -0400, Drew Edmundson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 07:15:24 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
>>>You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone
>>>to
>>>repro.
>
> I will try to do as you suggest. I installed Windows Vista 64 bit to
> the laptop. Connected to our SBS 2003 server and downloaded all the
> Windows updates. Installed MS Office 2007. Added my Exchange account
> to Outlook 2007. Now when I try to select contacts from within WFS I
> get the Windows Mail contacts not the Outlook contacts.
>
> As a side note, it is impossible to click on the Windows icon in the
> task bar and then right click on "Default Programs" and select run as
> Administrator. My problem with setting the defaults was I did not
> understand that some have to be set via "set program access and
> computer defaults" instead of via "set your default programs."
>
> Are you running Vista 64 bit? Is anyone running Vista 64 bit and
> getting Outlook contacts in WFS?
>
> TIA,
>
> Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:38:53 -0400, "Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
>run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
>level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for all
>of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.

Windows Mail now has only SNEWS protocol of its defaults and
Outlook has all its defaults. Still no joy. SNEWS protocol
cannot be changed. Before you say this is the problem,
please see if you can change the SNEWS protocol.

From my Google searches all the posts that have specified 32
bit vs. 64 bit that have this problem have all said they
were using Vista 64 bit. On the other hand, how often does
one see someone specify Vista 32 bit? Not often, so my
anecdotal evidence may be wrong.

Drew
 

My Computer

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Don't forget that in Vista all of the messaging components that were in
Outlook Express are now separate in Windows Mail. So you need to be looking
at the Contacts component ("Windows Contacts") not the transports component.
Make sure Windows Contacts is not set for any of the defaults that Outlook
can handle.
I have no doubt that this may very well be a 64 bit problem. It's just not
one I've seen documented or reproduced. Usually this problem arises if the
Outlook profile is corrupt or not properly configured for its address book
service. Configuring an Outlook profile most definitely requires a 32 bit
app. Enable 32 bit apps and configure a new Outlook profile from scratch.
Make sure the Outlook Address Book Service is installed and working
correctly in this profile.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:38:53 -0400, "Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
>>run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
>>level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for
>>all
>>of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.
>
> Windows Mail now has only SNEWS protocol of its defaults and
> Outlook has all its defaults. Still no joy. SNEWS protocol
> cannot be changed. Before you say this is the problem,
> please see if you can change the SNEWS protocol.
>
> From my Google searches all the posts that have specified 32
> bit vs. 64 bit that have this problem have all said they
> were using Vista 64 bit. On the other hand, how often does
> one see someone specify Vista 32 bit? Not often, so my
> anecdotal evidence may be wrong.
>
> Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:19:00 -0400, "Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Don't forget that in Vista all of the messaging components that were in
>Outlook Express are now separate in Windows Mail. So you need to be looking
>at the Contacts component ("Windows Contacts") not the transports component.
>Make sure Windows Contacts is not set for any of the defaults that Outlook
>can handle.

Other than the one protocol, I changed all to Outlook.
Rebooted and the problem still exists. I can't change the
one protocol.

>I have no doubt that this may very well be a 64 bit problem. It's just not
>one I've seen documented or reproduced. Usually this problem arises if the
>Outlook profile is corrupt or not properly configured for its address book
>service. Configuring an Outlook profile most definitely requires a 32 bit
>app. Enable 32 bit apps and configure a new Outlook profile from scratch.
>Make sure the Outlook Address Book Service is installed and working
>correctly in this profile.

Outlook is able to fully access the address books I have. We
have one address book shared via a public folder on the SBS
2003 server and I have a personal address book. I can access
both completely from within Outlook.

I had already tried that but I tried it again. No luck.

Thanks for your help. I guess there is nothing else to try.

Drew
 

My Computer

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook hasn't used a PAB for over a decade. You aren't really using a PAB,
are you?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:19:00 -0400, "Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Don't forget that in Vista all of the messaging components that were in
>>Outlook Express are now separate in Windows Mail. So you need to be
>>looking
>>at the Contacts component ("Windows Contacts") not the transports
>>component.
>>Make sure Windows Contacts is not set for any of the defaults that Outlook
>>can handle.
>
> Other than the one protocol, I changed all to Outlook.
> Rebooted and the problem still exists. I can't change the
> one protocol.
>

>>I have no doubt that this may very well be a 64 bit problem. It's just not
>>one I've seen documented or reproduced. Usually this problem arises if the
>>Outlook profile is corrupt or not properly configured for its address book
>>service. Configuring an Outlook profile most definitely requires a 32 bit
>>app. Enable 32 bit apps and configure a new Outlook profile from scratch.
>>Make sure the Outlook Address Book Service is installed and working
>>correctly in this profile.
>
> Outlook is able to fully access the address books I have. We
> have one address book shared via a public folder on the SBS
> 2003 server and I have a personal address book. I can access
> both completely from within Outlook.
>
> I had already tried that but I tried it again. No luck.
>
> Thanks for your help. I guess there is nothing else to try.
>
> Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:37:13 -0400, "Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Outlook hasn't used a PAB for over a decade. You aren't really using a PAB,
>are you?

No, I apologize. I meant I have two separate contact lists -
1 is in the shared public folder and the other is a contact
list of friends and family. Outlook still calls them
"address books" when I hover over the "book icon" and in the
"search address books" input box so that is what I called
them.

Drew
 

My Computer

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Well I'll keep looking for exact steps to reproduce the issue and if I can
find them I'll forward them to the developers. Were you ever able to get WFS
to use your Outlook Contacts on 64 bit Vista?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:g8h[email protected]

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:37:13 -0400, "Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Outlook hasn't used a PAB for over a decade. You aren't really using a
>>PAB,
>>are you?
>
> No, I apologize. I meant I have two separate contact lists -
> 1 is in the shared public folder and the other is a contact
> list of friends and family. Outlook still calls them
> "address books" when I hover over the "book icon" and in the
> "search address books" input box so that is what I called
> them.
>
> Drew
 

My Computer

D

Drew Edmundson

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:27:18 -0400, "Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well I'll keep looking for exact steps to reproduce the issue and if I can
>find them I'll forward them to the developers. Were you ever able to get WFS
>to use your Outlook Contacts on 64 bit Vista?

No, but Vista 32 WFS worked perfectly with the Outlook
contacts when I had it installed on the same laptop. When I
installed Vista 64 it was a fresh install onto an erased
hard drive (same one the Vista 32 was on, just erased) and
the Outlook data came over from the Exchange server not from
an old PST file.

If it helps, I have Bitlocker turned on but that didn't seem
to effect WFS under Vista 32.

Drew
 

My Computer

killerb255

New Member
Thread necromancy, but still useful...

I can confirm that the problem only occurs with Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 (haven't tried XP x64 or Server 2003 x64 to see if their fax clients are affected yet).

A side-by-side comparison between a Windows 7 x86 virtual machine and an x64 VM told me this much. Control Panel -> Default Programs under Microsoft Outlook and Windows Contacts were identical.

Regardless, Win7 x86 has no problems using Outlook Address Book Contacts for WF&S, but x64 does.

This also happens when using the Outlook 2010 x64 beta with Win7 x64--WF&S still can't pull Outlook Contacts.
 

My Computer

Top