Windows Features

ByLine
How to Turn Windows Features On or Off in Vista
Synopsis
Some Vista features are installed (turned on) by default, while others are not. This will show you how to turn the Windows Features that you want on or off.
How to Turn Windows Features On or Off in Vista

information   Information
Some Vista features are installed (turned on) by default, while others are not. These features will remain stored on your hard disk all the time (CAB files), so you can turn them on or off when you want to.

This will show you how to turn the Windows Features that you want on or off in Vista.
Note   Note
The available features listed will vary according to the edition of Vista you have.

Here's How:
1. Open the Control Panel (Classic View).​
2. Click on the Programs and Features icon.​
3. Click on the Turn Windows Features on or off link on the left side. (Circled in red below)​
Programs.jpg

4. Click on the Continue button in the UAC prompt.​
5. It will take a moment to load.​
6. Now just check or uncheck the programs you want On or OFF. (See screenshots below)​
Note   Note

• Some of the features shown below are only available for the Vista Ultimate version. (EX: Windows Ultimate Extras)
  • If you let the mouse pointer hover over the listed Windows Features, you will get a brief desciption of what they are for. For a more detailed description of them, scroll down a bit here: Windows Vista Feature Guide
Features.jpg Features2.jpg

7. Click on OK when done.​
8. You will now see this.​
Configured.jpg

9. You may need to restart the computer when this is finished. If you do, it will let you know.​
That's it,
Shawn

Related Tutorials

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn Brink

Comments

Hi,

My windows features dialog box is empty.

Some background: I recently had a corrupt user profile which i tried to use your other tutorials to fix which didn't solve my problem in the end so i created a new account and moved the files and folders (my documents) across to the new account and deleted the old corrupt account.

Following this i thought i may as well see what i can do about speeding my machine up a bit so i have been making my way through your list to speed up my system performance.

I got to this tutorial and have found that the windows features dialog box is empty. I followed the link at the top of the page and ran the system file checker and it told me that some files were corrupt but could not fix them. I tried to open the cbs.log file but access is denied (i am the administrator).

I have tried this: How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

but after typing: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

into the command prompt i get nothing

I haven't done a system restore yet as i am a bit concerned that it may return me to a corrupt user profile?

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Alex