• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows live Mail won't open

G

Gemius

#1
Hi
About a month ago I had a prob;em with Windows Mail. It would only open once
and the only way I could use it more than once was to log off and on again.
At the
same time whenever I tried to delet a file or rename it, the dialog box with
the progress bar would not close down.
Eventually I wiped the hard disk and started again as nobody had an answer.
All was well for a month or so but now it has started again exactly the
same. I'd
switched to Windows Live Mail in the meantime but now that won't open at all.
Windows Mail will only open once and the progress bar box won't shut down if
I delete or rename a file. Does anyone know what's going on?
 

My Computer

R

Robert Aldwinckle

#2
"Gemius" <Gemius@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5598CD9A-EF39-412F-A08C-A5541A766312@xxxxxx
Thanks for starting your own thread. ; )


> About a month ago I had a problem with Windows Mail.

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...or:gemius++group:microsoft.*#be324ae91dd0fd46

I see we can blame Gary for this... <eg>

<quote>
One solution is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail because it is less
prone to interference from antivirus programs:

</quote>


> It would only open once
> and the only way I could use it more than once was to log off and on again.

You posted in Breeg's thread. Are you using a Live ID too?
Were you suspicious of it? Have you tried not using it?


> At the
> same time whenever I tried to delet a file or rename it, the dialog box with
> the progress bar would not close down.

Details? What do you mean "delete a file or rename it"?
Sounds like you are messing with WM's implementation
or internals?


> Eventually I wiped the hard disk and started again as nobody had an answer.
> All was well for a month or so but now it has started again exactly the
> same.

Both products have a troubleshooting log.
Have you tried looking at them?


> I'd
> switched to Windows Live Mail in the meantime but now that won't open at all.

Sounds like it isn't properly installed... ; )


> Windows Mail will only open once and the progress bar box won't shut down if
> I delete or rename a file.

You definitely have to clarify that symptom for us.
But in fact, not for us, you should repost in the WM NG
since that symptom has nothing to do with WLMail.


> Does anyone know what's going on?
Not enough details yet to even guess
apart from the guesses you have already been given
regarding interference by virus checking of E-mail
and that you probably don't have WLMail cleanly
installed. ; )


HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---
 

My Computer

G

Gemius

#3
Thanks for your comments. I'd just like to clear up a couple of points.
When I said the Progress bar wouldn't close down when I
deleted/renamed/moved a file, I meant a file in my Documents, a photo for
example, not a file that was anything to do with Windows Mail or Windows Live
Mail

I did upgrade to Windows Live Mail after I'd re installed everything, but
when the same problem returned Windows Live Mail wouldn't open at all so I've
uninstalled it now. I'm using Windows Mail again which works fine except that
if I forget and close it down I can't open it again until I've logged off and
on again.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Which came first? I tend to think
the problem is more to do with the Progress Bar not being able to shut down
and in some way that is also stopping Windows Mail from closing down
properly, and therefore it won't start again until everything has been
cleared by logging off.

The trouble is I'm out of my depth with that sort of process so I've either
got to wait until someone comes up with an answer, pay £46 to speak to a
Microsoft Technician (not knowing if he could help or not), re install again
and hope it goes away, though I can't understand how it came back the last
time (I suppose that points to it being the Windows Live Mail download being
at fault). Re instal and change to a web based e mail provider and have
nothing to do with Windows Mail or Live Mail.

Thanks for your help

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Gemius" <Gemius@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:5598CD9A-EF39-412F-A08C-A5541A766312@xxxxxx >
>
> Thanks for starting your own thread. ; )
>
>

> > About a month ago I had a problem with Windows Mail.
>
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micr...or:gemius++group:microsoft.*#be324ae91dd0fd46
>
> I see we can blame Gary for this... <eg>
>
> <quote>
> One solution is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail because it is less
> prone to interference from antivirus programs:
>
> </quote>
>
>

> > It would only open once
> > and the only way I could use it more than once was to log off and on again.
>
>
> You posted in Breeg's thread. Are you using a Live ID too?
> Were you suspicious of it? Have you tried not using it?
>
>

> > At the
> > same time whenever I tried to delet a file or rename it, the dialog box with
> > the progress bar would not close down.
>
>
> Details? What do you mean "delete a file or rename it"?
> Sounds like you are messing with WM's implementation
> or internals?
>
>

> > Eventually I wiped the hard disk and started again as nobody had an answer.
> > All was well for a month or so but now it has started again exactly the
> > same.
>
>
> Both products have a troubleshooting log.
> Have you tried looking at them?
>
>

> > I'd
> > switched to Windows Live Mail in the meantime but now that won't open at all.
>
>
> Sounds like it isn't properly installed... ; )
>
>

> > Windows Mail will only open once and the progress bar box won't shut down if
> > I delete or rename a file.
>
>
> You definitely have to clarify that symptom for us.
> But in fact, not for us, you should repost in the WM NG
> since that symptom has nothing to do with WLMail.
>
>

> > Does anyone know what's going on?
>
> Not enough details yet to even guess
> apart from the guesses you have already been given
> regarding interference by virus checking of E-mail
> and that you probably don't have WLMail cleanly
> installed. ; )
>
>
> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)