• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows Live Messenger crashing only with SP1.

Scar

Hello there. Ever since SP1 has been out and I've had this problem with Windows Live Messenger, the program just instantly crashes when I try to run it with the "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working" error and solution reporting. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall SP1 numerous times and MSN works fine without it, but when it's there it just keeps crashing. Here's the report of the last time I decided to reinstall SP1 and sort it out but failed, help would be HIGHLY appreciated.

This is for the 8.5 current MSN version.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
Application Version: 8.5.1302.1018
Application Timestamp: 4717a53b
Fault Module Name: StackHash_d155
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000090
Exception Offset: 02bac512
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d155
Additional Information 2: 126161fecd82dec594eb7664f8f9abfb
Additional Information 3: 92b9
Additional Information 4: 552879c6cf0d4ed41dca29eb630368ac

Here's it's for the 9.0 BETA as I tried to use that instead and see if it works.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
Application Version: 9.0.1407.1107
Application Timestamp: 47324813
Fault Module Name: StackHash_26f3
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000090
Exception Offset: 03c9c512
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 26f3
Additional Information 2: 4b69342a1b767ded4d204bdeb2088bdd
Additional Information 3: 2f9b
Additional Information 4: 1930088f6ad066776cd817c9f016b984

Thank you for your time.

My Computer

T

thecreator

Hi Scar,

If you are running with Windows XP Service Pack 1, then go up to Windows
XP Service Pack 3 and see what happens.

You mention SP1, without the operating system.

--
thecreator

"Scar" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
news:456ecbb5ec30b35f2f4c01ac97158b0f@xxxxxx-gateway.com...

>
> Hello there. Ever since SP1 has been out and I've had this problem with
> Windows Live Messenger, the program just instantly crashes when I try to
> run it with the "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working" error and
> solution reporting. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall SP1 numerous
> times and MSN works fine without it, but when it's there it just keeps
> crashing. Here's the report of the last time I decided to reinstall SP1
> and sort it out but failed, help would be HIGHLY appreciated.
>
> This is for the 8.5 current MSN version.
>
> *problem signature
> *problem event name: appcrash
> application name: msnmsgr.exe
> application version: 8.5.1302.1018
> application timestamp: 4717a53b
> fault module name: stackhash_d155
> fault module version: 0.0.0.0
> fault module timestamp: 00000000
> exception code: c0000090
> exception offset: 02bac512
> os version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> locale id: 1033
> additional information 1: d155
> additional information 2: 126161fecd82dec594eb7664f8f9abfb
> additional information 3: 92b9
> additional information 4: 552879c6cf0d4ed41dca29eb630368ac
>
>
> here's it's for the 9.0 beta as i tried to use that instead and see if
> it works.
>
> *problem signature
> *problem event name: appcrash
> application name: msnmsgr.exe
> application version: 9.0.1407.1107
> application timestamp: 47324813
> fault module name: stackhash_26f3
> fault module version: 0.0.0.0
> fault module timestamp: 00000000
> exception code: c0000090
> exception offset: 03c9c512
> os version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> locale id: 1033
> additional information 1: 26f3
> additional information 2: 4b69342a1b767ded4d204bdeb2088bdd
> additional information 3: 2f9b
> additional information 4: 1930088f6ad066776cd817c9f016b984
>
>
> thank you for your time.
>
>
> --
> Scar

My Computer

Scar

Very sorry there, it's Vista SP1 of course. This is a Vista-related website so I assumed it will be clear as the site name suggests it's Vista's Service Pack 1 I'm referring to.

My Computer

F

Francesco Farina

Are you using a notebook or pc ACER?

"Scar" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:a1ac26c618dd0779c727c51ff9d36cd5@xxxxxx-gateway.com...

>
> Very sorry there, it's Vista SP1 of course. This is a Vista-related
> website so I assumed it will be clear as the site name suggests it's
> Vista's Service Pack 1 I'm referring to.
>
>
> --
> Scar

My Computer

Scar

I'm using a DELL XPS 700 desktop. Intel core 2 duo 6400 @ 2.13GHz with NVIDIA GeForce 7900GTX, 2GB ram and 500GB internal hard disk. I bought this computer a few weeks before Vista was released so it came with Windows XP, I bought Vista Ultimate off the store same day it was released and made the upgrade there. Here are two screenshots of the computer's specs to make things more clear and hopefully answer any other questions regarding the computer.

Thanks for the replies, really hoping to find a solution to this.

Last edited:

My Computer

Scar

Here's an update on the situation, I installed SP1 again and tried changing the compatibility(Right click the messenger file > Properties > Compatibility) in the properties to Windows NT and it worked fine as this screenshot explains. Previously that option was off and unticked.

Previously that option was unchecked of course and if I try to change it to XP or any other on the list(picture below) I get the same crash message "Windows live messenger has stopped working" by just trying to open the software. Only ones that work are NT, 98/ME and 95.

Any idea what could be the problem causing it to stop working in normal mode without playing with the options there?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

My Computer

Hi, I've been having this same problem running Vista Ultimate x64 on an Intel Q9550 processor (built system myself so it's unbranded)...

I tried that compatibility mode fix, using 95 and 98/Me only result in more crashing, and using NT 4.0, works, but all icons with 'what-should-be' transparent backgrounds show up with just a black background like this -->

In addition to that, I have a friend that lives in the US and before I made my new computer, we used to talk in video conversations over MSN... However, running in NT 4.0 compatibility mode won't allow sound to be sent or received as you can't run the "Audio and video setup", this is, of course... very annoying. Please could someone find another solution to this crashing problem as the compatibility mode is not the best solution for people with webcams/microphones or people that use emoticons alot. Even if someone could simply offer me a solution to the transparency problem it would be of great help. Although, the video call problem is more critical.

My Computer

G

Gourley4P

Yeah, I had some issue related to rolling back the compatibility of Live
Messenger, too. Eventually, I was able to switch back and haven't had the
problem since.

I'll guess that some Vista update fixed it somehow. I'm sorry I can't be
specific for you. I didn't do anything except normal updates for my pc. But
now Live Messenger works fine as intended.

My Computer

Scar

Hi, I've been having this same problem running Vista Ultimate x64 on an Intel Q9550 processor (built system myself so it's unbranded)...

I tried that compatibility mode fix, using 95 and 98/Me only result in more crashing, and using NT 4.0, works, but all icons with 'what-should-be' transparent backgrounds show up with just a black background like this -->

In addition to that, I have a friend that lives in the US and before I made my new computer, we used to talk in video conversations over MSN... However, running in NT 4.0 compatibility mode won't allow sound to be sent or received as you can't run the "Audio and video setup", this is, of course... very annoying. Please could someone find another solution to this crashing problem as the compatibility mode is not the best solution for people with webcams/microphones or people that use emoticons alot. Even if someone could simply offer me a solution to the transparency problem it would be of great help. Although, the video call problem is more critical.
That's the exact same way it works for me too, this is the only way to run it so far and I have requested help on the matter on various other websites but got nothing.

Please keep this thread updated if you find out anything, I've already tried and done everything I can.

My Computer

Scar

Yeah, I had some issue related to rolling back the compatibility of Live
Messenger, too. Eventually, I was able to switch back and haven't had the
problem since.

I'll guess that some Vista update fixed it somehow. I'm sorry I can't be
specific for you. I didn't do anything except normal updates for my pc. But
now Live Messenger works fine as intended.
You can check the recent updates if it's an update that fixed it, did it randomly fix all of a sudden?, you don't recall doing anything to fix it?

My Computer

Scar

Just to keep anyone having this problem updated. I formatted my computer today to get Vista x64 and Windows Live Messenger works fine again. Still don't know why I had that issue before but it's glad it's gone.

My Computer

Scar

Grats, Scar! I wish I knew what I did to make life better again so that I
could potentially help 32-bit users.
Thanks man.

I'm not sure if going x64 bit removed the error, I think even if I formatted to x32 the error would have been gone as well. This error is very rare and not many got it which is why it's not popular enough.

My switch to x64 was a random one because I wanted to format anyway, had nothing to do with solving WLM.

My Computer

Pactzin

I have a one-year old Sony VAIO VGN AR590E laptop with a built-in Sony Visual Communication VGP VCC6 camera and VAIO Camera Capture Utility 2.2.00.22110 software. I use MSN Live Messenger 2008 (Build 8.5.1302.1018). I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.

I have always been unable to use MSN Messenger for live video calls until recently. My computer upgrades automatically all of the time so I don't know which update caused this failure but it recently updated from Sony VAIO some products and also Vista updated to SP1.

Offline, my problem is that my camera will only capture "black
screen" stills but will record video accurately. In MSN Messenger, everything works fine, except when I try to activate Video Call, MSN Messenger crashes and closes. Also, just starting Messenger and clicking on webcam setup crashes Messenger.

I have updated and restored everything from Sony VAIO. Windows Vista Update is fully updated. I have searched the Internet for weeks finding people with similar problems but no good solutions.

I uninstalled Vista SP1, uninstalled and reinstalled the camera drivers and software to no avail.

I changed compatibility as suggested above and the webcam worked but I had no sound during the conversation and I could not access sound settings.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony VAIO VGN AR590E laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo T7300 @ 2.00GHz
    Memory
    2 GB
Not sure if this will apply to anyone already having this problem, but somehow un-installing the software for my Logitech G15 Keyboard and Logitech G5 Mouse fixed the problem. Windows Live Messenger works fine with full webcam and audio support, and transparencies perfect, without the need for compatibility mode.

Anyone who has either a Logitech G5 Mouse and/or Logitech G15 Keyboard, the software for these are most likely the cause of your problem. You must choose between a fully functional WLM or your keyboard and mouse features. Personally, i chose WLM :p

Hope this helps some people :)

My Computer

Scar

And from the ashes it rises!

Got the same error again all of a sudden as I was using the computer, never installed anything new on the computer today either. WLM just crashed as I was exchanging messages and just can't run anymore, I also found out that this same problem crashes ICQ. This is how the ICQ error looks like, please note that these errors rise as soon as I run these programs, meaning I can't run them at all, only for MSN if I change the compatibility mode in the options to NT or below. That method doesn't work for ICQ 6.

My Computer

Scar

As it turns out, this seems to be an issue with "SideBySide" as the Event Viewer located it.

Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"

If anyone has any idea what could be the solution to this please feel free to contribute, I'll really appreciate it.

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)