Windows Live Picture Gallery Trouble

cosmin2007

Vista Enthusiast
Member
Now this really sucks ! I'm having this trouble again. After installing Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Bit, I went down the new normal road : install the Windows Live Application set. Of which Live Messenger, Windows Live Writer and Windows Live Mail work excellent. But Live Picture Gallery S U C K S. Big Time !
I've had this problem in the past, so nada new, thus leading to a larger disappointment. Here's what happens : I was prompted by the Windows Live Picture Gallery to install QuickTime, which I did, and afterwards Live Picture Gallery doesn't display pictures when they are double clicked in gallery thumbnail view. Neither does it when trying to open it from Vista file Explorer. Let me say I did a lot of Internet research and tried a few solutions, but it still does not work. Can anyone please help me with this ?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

LOOK HERE
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DSL
    Memory
    4 GB A-DATA
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar 300 GB
O

osu9400

Looks like some refresh problems. which video card do you have? Are your
drivers up-to-date?


"cosmin2007" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> *Now this really sucks !* I'm having this trouble again. After
> installing Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Bit, I went down the new
> normal road : install the Windows Live Application set. Of which Live
> Messenger, Windows Live Writer and Windows Live Mail work excellent. But
> Live Picture Gallery S U C K S. Big Time !
> I've had this problem in the past, so nada new, thus leading to a
> larger disappointment. Here's what happens : I was prompted by the
> Windows Live Picture Gallery to install QuickTime, which I did, and
> afterwards Live Picture Gallery doesn't display pictures when they are
> double clicked in gallery thumbnail view. Neither does it when trying to
> open it from Vista file Explorer. Let me say I did a lot of Internet
> research and tried a few solutions, but it still does not work. Can
> anyone please help me with this ?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
>
> LOOK HERE [image:
> http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pSGtdzY3S5GT-ZhzXoDgnt2-hmzFlZeRYbggn6MkSqZbfyZiu0F5uvr6p_55AvlbyP0XmWDd_otQ]
>
>
> --
> cosmin2007
>
> Vista Enthusiast :)
 

My Computer

cosmin2007

Vista Enthusiast
Member
Using ASUS Nvidia 8600 GT with latest signed drivers from NVidia. It's not a refresh problem, the screenshot actually shows where gallery functionality freezes after double-clicking a picture from thumbnail view in order to preview and eventually tag and edit it.

If Windows Live Picture Gallery is set as default image viewer, then when I double-click on a picture to open iti with WLPG the program opens but no image is shown, the image display space is black.

This is not a hardware issue, I'm sure. I have all the latest drivers for all hardware installed, and WLPG is the only program which is not working actually.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DSL
    Memory
    4 GB A-DATA
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar 300 GB
J

John Inzer

cosmin2007 wrote:

> Using ASUS Nvidia 8600 GT with latest signed drivers from NVidia. It's
> not a refresh problem, the screenshot actually shows where gallery
> functionality freezes after double-clicking a picture from thumbnail
> view in order to preview and eventually tag and edit it.
>
> If Windows Live Picture Gallery is set as default image viewer, then
> when I double-click on a picture to open iti with WLPG the program
> opens but no image is shown, the image display space is black.
>
> This is not a hardware issue, I'm sure. I have all the latest drivers
> for all hardware installed, and WLPG is the only program which is not
> working actually.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
=====================================
Maybe your Photo Gallery database is corrupted...
have a look at the following article:

(944221) Windows Live Photo Gallery stops
responding or will not start
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944221/en-us

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 

My Computer

cosmin2007

Vista Enthusiast
Member
Already tried that. It's not working. Any other sugestions ?
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DSL
    Memory
    4 GB A-DATA
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar 300 GB
J

John Inzer

cosmin2007 wrote:

> Already tried that. It's not working.
> Any other sugestions ?
=========================
Not really, I don't want to continue
guessing what you already tried.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 

My Computer

cosmin2007

Vista Enthusiast
Member
OK, here's what I already tried :

uninstalling and reinstalling the Live Picture Gallery alone (as a regular user with Admin privileges, also as Administrator)

uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Live application set (as a regular user with Admin privileges, also as Administrator)

also tried this (944221) Windows Live Photo Gallery stops
responding or will not start
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944221/en-us

also tried a registry hack I found somewhere which is forcing Live Picture Gallery to stop using DirectX or QuickTime for rendering (not sure which of them or if any and not other type of rendering)

also tried uninstalling all CODEC packs

also tried logging on to another account and checking if there works, no result...

WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE ?
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DSL
    Memory
    4 GB A-DATA
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar 300 GB
J

John Inzer

cosmin2007 wrote:

> OK, here's what I already tried :
>
> uninstalling and reinstalling the Live Picture Gallery alone (as a
> regular user with Admin privileges, also as Administrator)
>
> uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Live application set (as a
> regular user with Admin privileges, also as Administrator)
>
> also tried this (944221) Windows Live Photo Gallery stops
> responding or will not start
> 'http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944221/en-us'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944221/en-us)
>
> also tried a registry hack I found somewhere which is forcing Live
> Picture Gallery to stop using DirectX or QuickTime for rendering (not
> sure which of them or if any and not other type of rendering)
>
> also tried uninstalling all CODEC packs
>
> also tried logging on to another account and checking if there works,
> no result...
>
> WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE ?
====================================
Ok...thanks for the info...

I'm thinking I would try doing a System Restore
to a time before I installed QuickTime.

Windows Vista -
How to Do a System Restore in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2bdvvv
or...
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html

Using Windows Vista
System Restore
http://tinyurl.com/2qhd77
or...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/



--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 

My Computer

cosmin2007

Vista Enthusiast
Member
System restore was not an option on my list. After tinkering around, I just decided to retry logging in to another account, this time a new account. Guess what ? IT WORKS

It saved me a reinstall. So this might be a good piece of advice : in such situations try moving to a new account (preserving e-mail, favorites, documents and music / videos, other files).

Creating a new account after messing up too much with your current account might save you a lot of time for reinstalling.
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DSL
    Memory
    4 GB A-DATA
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar 300 GB
J

John Inzer

cosmin2007 wrote:

> System restore was not an option on my list. After tinkering around, I
> just decided to retry logging in to another account, this time a new
> account. Guess what ? IT WORKS
>
> It saved me a reinstall. So this might be a good piece of advice : in
> such situations try moving to a new account (preserving e-mail,
> favorites, documents and music / videos, other files).
>
> Creating a new account after messing up too much with your current
> account might save you a lot of time for reinstalling.
=====================
Thanks for the update.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 

My Computer

Top