• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows Update keeps showing up after it's successfully installed

I received notification for recommended update KB 978506. I installed it. Soon the update notification showed in my taskbar again so I clicked to install again. When it showed up the 3rd time I checked my update history and see this item shows as installed twice today - successful in both instances. I restarted thinking that might do the trick but it's still saying I have this same update to install.

Vista Home Premium/SP2
IE8

richc46

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
I received notification for recommended update KB 978506. I installed it. Soon the update notification showed in my taskbar again so I clicked to install again. When it showed up the 3rd time I checked my update history and see this item shows as installed twice today - successful in both instances. I restarted thinking that might do the trick but it's still saying I have this same update to install.

Vista Home Premium/SP2
IE8
When you receive it again, do not install. Set it to hide, just right click on the update and choose hide.. You should not be bothered again.

I thot about doing this, and have gone ahead and done it now. But this is not really a solution. What has caused this to happen, and is it going to happen with all my updates?

richc46

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
I have heard of this situation, before; it is a bug in the system. If you hide that one update others should work as they were intended.

I am sorry that you had this problem and I hope that this isolated incident does not diminish your enjoyment of Vista.

stoneys-nutz

Gamerholic
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Windows Update Icon Stays On
I had the same problem in that Windows Update icon in the lower right corner stays on after I have downloaded the updates (three times for the same updates). Windows does show the updates were installed. So I did the “Hide” process and the Update icon disappeared.
Thanks,
Jerry
9/13/13