• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows Vista Backup vs Live OneCare Backup

B

born2dive

#1
I just installed Vista and OneCare. I setup Windows Backup (on the Control
Panel) to take weekly file backups. OneCare also has a backup and restore
function and it looks like it's creating another set of backups because I
ended up with two seperate files backup on my external drive. Is that
normal? Is that a Problem? Should I use one or the other? If I need to turn
one off, which one should I turn off?
 

My Computer

M

Michael Palumbo

#2
"born2dive" <born2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E70FCD1D-7E1B-4299-8CF3-F6B0B7A66AAA@microsoft.com...
>I just installed Vista and OneCare. I setup Windows Backup (on the Control
> Panel) to take weekly file backups. OneCare also has a backup and restore
> function and it looks like it's creating another set of backups because I
> ended up with two seperate files backup on my external drive. Is that
> normal? Is that a Problem? Should I use one or the other? If I need to
> turn
> one off, which one should I turn off?



I prefer the OneCare backup, with it you can add folders to back up as
opposed to the Vista backup, you can only choose files types, not locations.
Plus, the Vista backup won't backup any executable files . . . so any
programs (install programs in particular) will not be backed up.

I think Vista's backup is amazingly limited, it could have been great, but
they really dropped the ball.

Mic
 

My Computer

D

Daze N. Knights

#3
Perhaps MS limited Vista backup intentionally in order to add value to
the OneCare package, which MS wants to sell, as well?

Daze
----------

Michael Palumbo wrote:
> "born2dive" <born2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E70FCD1D-7E1B-4299-8CF3-F6B0B7A66AAA@microsoft.com...
>> I just installed Vista and OneCare. I setup Windows Backup (on the
>> Control
>> Panel) to take weekly file backups. OneCare also has a backup and
>> restore
>> function and it looks like it's creating another set of backups because I
>> ended up with two seperate files backup on my external drive. Is that
>> normal? Is that a Problem? Should I use one or the other? If I need to
>> turn
>> one off, which one should I turn off?

>
>
> I prefer the OneCare backup, with it you can add folders to back up as
> opposed to the Vista backup, you can only choose files types, not
> locations. Plus, the Vista backup won't backup any executable files . .
> . so any programs (install programs in particular) will not be backed up.
>
> I think Vista's backup is amazingly limited, it could have been great,
> but they really dropped the ball.
>
> Mic
 

My Computer

S

StephenB

#4
born2dive <born2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just installed Vista and OneCare. I setup Windows Backup (on the Control
>Panel) to take weekly file backups. OneCare also has a backup and restore
>function and it looks like it's creating another set of backups because I
>ended up with two seperate files backup on my external drive. Is that
>normal? Is that a Problem? Should I use one or the other? If I need to turn
>one off, which one should I turn off?

There's no problem with using both. You can choose both or either one. It's
really up to you.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
sboots@mvps.org
 

My Computer

S

StephenB

#5
"Daze N. Knights" <Daze@Microdot.dot> wrote:

>Perhaps MS limited Vista backup intentionally in order to add value to
>the OneCare package, which MS wants to sell, as well?
>
>Daze

No, I think that the limited backup in Home Basic and Home Premium is simply
that it is a basic backup program. If you have Vista Business or Vista Ultimate,
you get the ability to do image backups of entires drives, which is a nice
addition not available in the Home Basic and Premium versions of Vista.
OneCare backup works on both XP and Vista and is a value added subscription in
that it is designed to be part of the OneCare security package. OneCare can
perform its backup as part of Tune-up and can also monitor and report system
"health" by alerting you that a backup is needed.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
sboots@mvps.org
 

My Computer

D

Daze N. Knights

#6
As the OP noted, even Business and Ultimate (which I have) are limited
in the fact that they do not allow backing up of specific folders, only
file types. Correct? While I use the Complete PC Backup regularly, and
love it, I am never interested in backing up files by type; I backup my
personal files, instead, by folder. So this limitation of Vista backups
to file-type-only adds value to the OneCare backup, which *does* allow
backing up specific folders, through, as you say, "a value added
subscription."

Daze
----

StephenB wrote:
> "Daze N. Knights" <Daze@Microdot.dot> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps MS limited Vista backup intentionally in order to add value to
>> the OneCare package, which MS wants to sell, as well?
>>
>> Daze

> No, I think that the limited backup in Home Basic and Home Premium is simply
> that it is a basic backup program. If you have Vista Business or Vista Ultimate,
> you get the ability to do image backups of entires drives, which is a nice
> addition not available in the Home Basic and Premium versions of Vista.
> OneCare backup works on both XP and Vista and is a value added subscription in
> that it is designed to be part of the OneCare security package. OneCare can
> perform its backup as part of Tune-up and can also monitor and report system
> "health" by alerting you that a backup is needed.
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sboots@mvps.org
 

My Computer