Windows Vista No Drives Found during Installation [SOLVED]

View attachment 30831

When booting the Vista installation after installing it via DISM++ and disabling auto restart, I get this BSOD. I did some googling, and apparently it means that it doesn't have the storage drivers, or the hard drive settings are configured wrong in the BIOS. I have them configured as IDE Compatibility, so I don't think they're configured wrong. So we're back where we started. I need some way to get Windows Vista the storage drivers, which is a problem since the only ones I found don't do anything. I find it strange that Windows 7 and above has storage drivers. Are there any specific storage driver changes between Windows Vista and 7? Does 7 come with certain drivers that Vista doesn't? If Windows 7 has these drivers, would they work if I somehow found them and brought them to Vista?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista x64 Business and XP IE Dual Boot
Ten20- It sounded like you had tried that option and I wondered exactly where in the process it failed so you might get help with it. I still question the BIOS because I believe you said that you had later Windows versions previously installed on your system.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Ten20- It sounded like you had tried that option and I wondered exactly where in the process it failed so you might get help with it. I still question the BIOS because I believe you said that you had later Windows versions previously installed on your system.

I've had Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows 7 installed on this system before. Windows 7 had big problems installing, and I was only able to get it on once, and I don't remember how. Windows 10 and 8.1 worked perfectly. Windows Vista installation only started working when I put the GeForce 8500 GT in, I'm pretty sure the mouse and keyboard didn't work if I used any newer graphics cards, no idea why though. When using newer graphics cards, the video was also messed up in the installation too. All the colours were inverted in the Windows 7 and Windows Vista installs. Pretty sure Windows XP install was fine with the newer graphics card for the few moments I could have it on before BSODing. I think I have a solution, but I need to test it. I think I need to plug the hard drive directly into the sata ports, instead of into the drive bay. I don't really understand how the wiring works back there, because the drive bay ISN'T plugged into the sata ports, but somehow connects to the system, so I'll try the sata port method. I'll also try connecting a hard drive through USB via an adapter, because I know the system works with that, even though it'd be slow. I would just use it to see if it was detected. I really think the sata port method will work.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
It worked! When I plugged the hard drive directly into the SATA ports instead of plugging it into the drive bay, it showed up in the Vista installer! I assume this is happening because when I was setting the IDE settings, they were being set on the motherboard SATA ports instead of the drive bay ports. I will mark this thread as solved if Vista successfully installs.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
It worked! When I plugged the hard drive directly into the SATA ports instead of plugging it into the drive bay...

Please explain what you mean.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Please explain what you mean.
The hard drive bay has it's own ports in it, and they all have wires coming out of the back of their connectors that connect into one big braided looking cable. This braided looking cable plugs into some random port on the motherboard that isn't the sata port. I plugged my hard drive directly into the sata port using a cable instead of into the drive bay and it detected it. Presumably because the setting in the bios sets the sata ports to IDE instead of the drive bay ports.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
Back