• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

wireless router question from a dummy

  • Thread starter iluv my kitties and family
  • Start date
I

iluv my kitties and family

#1
Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g.
Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an
n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still
would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook?
I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't have
an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that is the
same case with a wireless n router? thanks
 

My Computer

I

iluv my kitties and family

#2
No, just one. I think your question just answered my own thought. Thought
maybe because they are so much faster my internet speed would increase
dramatically.
"Bob" <bob@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:hmjbbt$g1m$1@newsgroup-september.org...

> How do you connect to the net? Do you have more than one PC?
>
> "iluv my kitties and family" <NOSPAMb@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:OOmaaYhuKHA.4636@newsgroup

>> Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a
>> g.
>> Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is
>> an n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I
>> still would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook?
>> I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't
>> have an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that is
>> the same case with a wireless n router? thanks
>
 

My Computer

Messages
12
#3
Hi, if you are connecting to the internet only and do not have a home network of computers communicating to each other wirelessly then unless you have an internet connection speed greater than 54Mbit/s (the wireless g limit) then you will get no speed benefit from using wireless n as your internet connection is the slowest link.

As you say your computer says 802.11 a/g/n so it sounds like you have your wireless adapter built in already (virtually every notebook nowadays does) so you won't therefore need to buy an adapter.

I'm confused by your last paragraph, you don't need an adapter for either g or n as it's already built into the notebook.
 

My Computer

T

Tim Slattery

#4
"iluv my kitties and family" <NOSPAMb@newsgroup> wrote:

>Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g.
>Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an
>n router.
You don't say what the speed of your broadband connection is, but it's
*extremely* unlikely that it's faster than your current router. The
additional speed of the 802.11n router would show up in communications
between your computers that are connected with it, not with Internet
connections.

> Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still
>would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook?
If it says 802.11a/g/n then I guess that's what it has. I would not
expect to need anything else.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@newsgroup
http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
 

My Computer

P

Patrick Keenan

#5
"iluv my kitties and family" <NOSPAMb@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:%23VaN9RiuKHA.4636@newsgroup

> No, just one. I think your question just answered my own thought. Thought
> maybe because they are so much faster my internet speed would increase
> dramatically.
No, your 'internet' speed will not change at all, because the lowest speed
wireless you get is faster than your 'internet' connection. Where it
*will* make a difference is in local network speeds, ie transferring files
from one system to another.

HTH
-pk

> "Bob" <bob@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:hmjbbt$g1m$1@newsgroup-september.org...

>> How do you connect to the net? Do you have more than one PC?
>>
>> "iluv my kitties and family" <NOSPAMb@newsgroup> wrote in message
>> news:OOmaaYhuKHA.4636@newsgroup

>>> Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a
>>> g.
>>> Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that
>>> is an n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless
>>> I still would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook?
>>> I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't
>>> have an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that
>>> is the same case with a wireless n router? thanks
>>
>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)