• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WLM vs Thunderbird?

D

Don Cohen

#1
I have a new Vista 64-bit Desktop, and an older XP Home Laptop, and need to
figure out a solution to maintain email and address
book in synch on both systems. Previously, my Desktop was XP Home as well,
and I used Outlook Express on both, doing a periodic copy of the .dbx and
..wab files to keep the Laptop updated. With the new Vista Desktop, that's
no longer an option.

One alternative is to switch to a new email client that is compatible with
both. Windows Live Mail has been suggested, but as I've researched this
topic, Mozilla Thunderbird also seems to deserve consideration.

I don't want to start a war here, as I imagine many people have strong
feelings, but is there any consensus on the relative strengths and
weaknesses of WLM vs. Mozilla Thunderbird?

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
#2
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:47:03 -0400, "Don Cohen"
<doncohen@xxxxxx> wrote:

>I have a new Vista 64-bit Desktop, and an older XP Home Laptop, and need to
>figure out a solution to maintain email and address
>book in synch on both systems. Previously, my Desktop was XP Home as well,
>and I used Outlook Express on both, doing a periodic copy of the .dbx and
>.wab files to keep the Laptop updated. With the new Vista Desktop, that's
>no longer an option.
>
>One alternative is to switch to a new email client that is compatible with
>both. Windows Live Mail has been suggested, but as I've researched this
>topic, Mozilla Thunderbird also seems to deserve consideration.
Up until about a week ago I used Outlook 2003 on both my notebook and
my desktop and moved .PST files back and forth to keep things in
sync.

For whatever reason, I decided to take a look at WLM. Liked it. Put
it on both machines. NO SWAPPING needed for me.

I have my desktop WLM setup to delete files from the server
mmediately. I have my notebook set to leave them ON the server unless
I delete them. That way my desktop can be the "master" and not lose
anything.

It takes some digging to find all the settings, but once you have your
desktop all set the way you want it, then install and setup your
notebook.

To get your accounts into the notebook: EXPORT (File - Export) them
from your desktop in IAF format (I think that's what it was) and then
import them into the notebook (Tools - Accounts) - neat and clean,
passwords included.

If you have a lot of stored/archived email, that can be imported into
WLM as well (it could from Outlook 2003 anyway).

I just plain don't like Thunderbird.

>I don't want to start a war here, as I imagine many people have strong
>feelings, but is there any consensus on the relative strengths and
>weaknesses of WLM vs. Mozilla Thunderbird?
DDW
--
Reply via this group
No email please
 
D

Don Cohen

#3
DDW,

"DDW" <dd.wright@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:9fcpf45674k5nchjjbk5rqbgs57r18jrn9@xxxxxx

> I have my desktop WLM setup to delete files from the server
> mmediately. I have my notebook set to leave them ON the server unless
> I delete them. That way my desktop can be the "master" and not lose
> anything.
That's precisely how I had my systems previously set up, when using Outlook
Express on both.

> I just plain don't like Thunderbird.
Any specific complaints/issues/problems about it, or what is it about WLM
that looks/works better for you?

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
#4
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:11:57 -0400, "Don Cohen"
<doncohen@xxxxxx> wrote:

>DDW,
>
>"DDW" <dd.wright@xxxxxx> wrote in message
>news:9fcpf45674k5nchjjbk5rqbgs57r18jrn9@xxxxxx
>

>> I have my desktop WLM setup to delete files from the server
>> mmediately. I have my notebook set to leave them ON the server unless
>> I delete them. That way my desktop can be the "master" and not lose
>> anything.
>
>That's precisely how I had my systems previously set up, when using Outlook
>Express on both.
>

>> I just plain don't like Thunderbird.
>
>Any specific complaints/issues/problems about it, or what is it about WLM
>that looks/works better for you?
I like "newness", and WLM has a nice look and feel. Just install it
and play with it. It won't take over your system. Look at how it
handles photos and images. What you can do with really large ones
rather than send them to folks who have slow, dialup connections.
It is really NICE (and I'm something of a geek who just doesn't get
turned on by "nice")

BTW... it comes preset to do the MS newsgroups :)

Thunderbird: it's too basic for my tastes. I tried it as a Usenet
newsreader and thought it sucked compared to Agent, so a lot of my
judgement is probably based on that.

TRY BOTH. No matter how many opinions you get here, the final
decision will be based on how you like what you choose.

DDW
--
Reply via this group
No email please
 
G

Gary VanderMolen

#5
Thunderbird is not going to keep your Contacts synced,
while WLM will do so automatically (if using a Live ID login).

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Don Cohen" <doncohen@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23bU$WssMJHA.1304@xxxxxx

>I have a new Vista 64-bit Desktop, and an older XP Home Laptop, and need to figure out a solution to maintain email and address
> book in synch on both systems. Previously, my Desktop was XP Home as well, and I used Outlook Express on both, doing a periodic
> copy of the .dbx and .wab files to keep the Laptop updated. With the new Vista Desktop, that's no longer an option.
>
> One alternative is to switch to a new email client that is compatible with both. Windows Live Mail has been suggested, but as
> I've researched this topic, Mozilla Thunderbird also seems to deserve consideration.
>
> I don't want to start a war here, as I imagine many people have strong feelings, but is there any consensus on the relative
> strengths and weaknesses of WLM vs. Mozilla Thunderbird?
>
> --
> Don
>
> remove "lens cap" for email
 
D

Don Cohen

#6
> TRY BOTH. No matter how many opinions you get here, the final

> decision will be based on how you like what you choose.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll need to try them in the near future. For
now, I'm just independently downloading email to desktop and laptop, with
both set to leave email on the server for 10 days before deleting.

My desktop crashed almost 2 weeks ago (probably motherboard, was 6 1/2 years
old anyway...) and so I've been swamped researching, then buying, then
installing/configuring apps, learning 64-bit Vista, trouble-shooting, etc.
I'm a bit weary at the moment! ;-)

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
D

Don Cohen

#7
"Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23GV41ttMJHA.5060@xxxxxx

> Thunderbird is not going to keep your Contacts synced,
> while WLM will do so automatically (if using a Live ID login).

I've seen this alluded to before - what's going on behind the scenes here?
Does it keep my contact list on its servers online? I have over 700 (mainly
a mailing list for my website), and wonder if this will be cumbersome.

Is this also connected with Hotmail? I have to be honest I am leery of
"getting into bed" too much with Microsoft, as their stuff tends to be
intrusive and hard to get rid of (e.g. the old Messenger issue, where they
made it tough to turn off). All other things being equal, I'd just as soon
not to have yet another email address (let alone a Hotmail one), unless I'm
missing something important here.

Thanks.

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
B

BuonaDomenica

#8
"Don Cohen" wrote:

> Is this also connected with Hotmail?
Yes, Windows Live Mail works great with Hotmail. Just don't install the
latest Beta version of Windows Live Mail and you will be fine.

I'm checking three hotmail accounts through Windows Live Mail and I never
look back at Outlook Express. There are a few annoyances such as the huge
message header but these are minor.

here is the link to the older installer for Windows Live mail
http://filehippo.com/download_msn_messenger/download/0b4a30d1d5e39bd15c1c4184520b4e88/

hope you will get a chance to try it out.

BD
 
D

Don Cohen

#9
Thanks, BD.

"BuonaDomenica" <BuonaDomenica@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:BB0566A8-6332-46AC-A72D-4AFE19FFC261@xxxxxx

> Yes, Windows Live Mail works great with Hotmail. Just don't install the
> latest Beta version of Windows Live Mail and you will be fine.
I guess what I was asking is if one *needs* to have and use a Hotmail
account in order to have one's Contacts synchronized automatically on all
computers, as was implied in the previous post.

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
#10
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:47:45 -0400, "Don Cohen"
<doncohen@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> TRY BOTH. No matter how many opinions you get here, the final
>> decision will be based on how you like what you choose.
>
>
>Thanks for the feedback. I'll need to try them in the near future. For
>now, I'm just independently downloading email to desktop and laptop, with
>both set to leave email on the server for 10 days before deleting.
Along a different (but related) line: take a look at Windows Live
FolderShare Beta. GREAT for keeping the notebook and desktop synched
in critical areas. Even worked for my Outlook .PST files.

>My desktop crashed almost 2 weeks ago (probably motherboard, was 6 1/2 years
>old anyway...) and so I've been swamped researching, then buying, then
>installing/configuring apps, learning 64-bit Vista, trouble-shooting, etc.
>I'm a bit weary at the moment! ;-)
DDW
--
Reply via this group
No email please
 
D

Don Cohen

#11
"> Along a different (but related) line: take a look at Windows Live

> FolderShare Beta. GREAT for keeping the notebook and desktop synched
> in critical areas. Even worked for my Outlook .PST files.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep this in mind as I consider options down the
road.

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
G

Gary VanderMolen

#12
As far as WLM's connection with Hotmail (also Live.com and MSN.com),
it is strictly optional. I don't use Hotmail for email, but I have a Hotmail
account solely for the purpose of keeping my Contacts info backed up
and synced. This has already saved me once, when my laptop was stolen
earlier this year. I had neglected to back up a recent copy of my Contacts,
so the online Hotmail contacts became a life saver.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Don Cohen" <doncohen@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:eq$6O$tMJHA.3588@xxxxxx

>
> "Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23GV41ttMJHA.5060@xxxxxx

>> Thunderbird is not going to keep your Contacts synced,
>> while WLM will do so automatically (if using a Live ID login).
>
>
> I've seen this alluded to before - what's going on behind the scenes here? Does it keep my contact list on its servers online?
> I have over 700 (mainly a mailing list for my website), and wonder if this will be cumbersome.
>
> Is this also connected with Hotmail? I have to be honest I am leery of "getting into bed" too much with Microsoft, as their
> stuff tends to be intrusive and hard to get rid of (e.g. the old Messenger issue, where they made it tough to turn off). All
> other things being equal, I'd just as soon not to have yet another email address (let alone a Hotmail one), unless I'm missing
> something important here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Don
>
> remove "lens cap" for email
 
D

Don Cohen

#13
"Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%238QFt8uMJHA.4500@xxxxxx

> As far as WLM's connection with Hotmail (also Live.com and MSN.com),
> it is strictly optional. I don't use Hotmail for email, but I have a
> Hotmail
> account solely for the purpose of keeping my Contacts info backed up
> and synced. This has already saved me once, when my laptop was stolen
> earlier this year. I had neglected to back up a recent copy of my
> Contacts,
> so the online Hotmail contacts became a life saver.

Thanks, Gary.

It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I can get to evaluate this
further, but the information you (and the others) have provided will be most
helpful.

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
W

...winston

#14
WLM has two approaches to Contacts.
1. SignOn with a Live ID(that is also a Hotmail/Msn/Live.com) account and the Contacts for WLM and Hotmail synchronize(the same
Contacts are available in WLMessgenger).
2. Do not sign on with a LiveID(Hotmail/MSn/Live.com) and Windows Live Mail uses the local 'Default' Contacts. These contacts are
empty until one migrates contacts from another email(occurs during installation)or imports from a prior saved *.csv file.

Adding/Deleting contacts in (1) will add or remove the Contacts from all locations after a subsequent synchronization.

Adding/Deleting contacts in (2) only affects the local stored 'default' contacts.



--
...winston
ms-mvp mail


"Don Cohen" <doncohen@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:eq$6O$tMJHA.3588@xxxxxx

>
> "Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23GV41ttMJHA.5060@xxxxxx

>> Thunderbird is not going to keep your Contacts synced,
>> while WLM will do so automatically (if using a Live ID login).
>
>
> I've seen this alluded to before - what's going on behind the scenes here? Does it keep my contact list on its servers online? I
> have over 700 (mainly a mailing list for my website), and wonder if this will be cumbersome.
>
> Is this also connected with Hotmail? I have to be honest I am leery of "getting into bed" too much with Microsoft, as their
> stuff tends to be intrusive and hard to get rid of (e.g. the old Messenger issue, where they made it tough to turn off). All
> other things being equal, I'd just as soon not to have yet another email address (let alone a Hotmail one), unless I'm missing
> something important here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Don
>
> remove "lens cap" for email
 
N

N. Miller

#15
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:47:03 -0400, Don Cohen wrote:

> I don't want to start a war here, as I imagine many people have strong
> feelings, but is there any consensus on the relative strengths and
> weaknesses of WLM vs. Mozilla Thunderbird?
I use Windows Live Mail for its ability to access free Hotmail accounts
created (or re-created) subsequent to Sept. 26, 2004, when MSN cut off
WebDAV access to all but existing Hotmail accounts already set up to use MS
Outlook Express. And to play with for questions similar to yours.

For the majority of my email work, I use Pegasus Mail, which I find to be
more useful than any of: MS Outlook Expess, Windows Live Mail, or Mozilla
Thunderbird.

However, Pegasus Mail is a straight email client; the author decided to
concentrate on having an email client which does one thing well (email)
instead of two things poorly (email and news). For news, I use 40tude
Dialog, which is better news client than any of: MS Outlook Expess, Windows
Live Mail, or Mozilla Thunderbird. While it can do email, it can't do it as
well as Pegasus Mail.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
 
N

N. Miller

#16
"Don Cohen" <doncohen@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:#s4$4duMJHA.4440@xxxxxx

> "BuonaDomenica" <BuonaDomenica@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:BB0566A8-6332-46AC-A72D-4AFE19FFC261@xxxxxx

>> Yes, Windows Live Mail works great with Hotmail. Just don't install the
>> latest Beta version of Windows Live Mail and you will be fine.

> I guess what I was asking is if one *needs* to have and use a Hotmail
> account in order to have one's Contacts synchronized automatically on all
> computers, as was implied in the previous post.
I don't think so. I just used the installer to set up Windows Live Mail on a
second computer that I have. Mostly running as a mail server, but useful for
testing things.

I set up with a Windows Live ID in my hobby domain. Set up to sign in to
Windows Live with that Live ID. When WLM is configured to "sign in", it just
signs in to the Windows Live service to synchronize the contacts. I am
showing the same 26 contacts on this computer, as I was showing on the other
while reading this group.

Keep in mind, it is Windows Live, the online service, which is synchronizing
the information, not Windows Live Mail. I don't know if Thunderbird has a
similar synchronization service available.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
 
D

Don Cohen

#17
"VanguardLH" <V@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:eJb7AJxMJHA.4240@xxxxxx

> After just trialing TB for 1 full day. I decided it was an okay program
> but not an excellent one.
Wow! Talk about a complete response! This is much appreciated, and saves
me an enormous amount of time trying to figure out what TB does/doesn't do.

Have a great day!

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
D

Don Cohen

#18
"...winston" <winstonmvp@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:OzoDQgyMJHA.2824@xxxxxx

> WLM has two approaches to Contacts.
> 1. SignOn with a Live ID(that is also a Hotmail/Msn/Live.com) account and
> the Contacts for WLM and Hotmail synchronize(the same Contacts are
> available in WLMessgenger).
> 2. Do not sign on with a LiveID(Hotmail/MSn/Live.com) and Windows Live
> Mail uses the local 'Default' Contacts. These contacts are empty until one
> migrates contacts from another email(occurs during installation)or imports
> from a prior saved *.csv file.
>
> Adding/Deleting contacts in (1) will add or remove the Contacts from all
> locations after a subsequent synchronization.
>
> Adding/Deleting contacts in (2) only affects the local stored 'default'
> contacts.
This is very helpful.

So in "1" above, I assume that WLM is keeping my contact list on its own
servers somewhere - correct? Any limit to the number of contacts allowed?
I've got over 700 (mostly from my website email list).

Thanks!


--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
D

Don Cohen

#19
"N. Miller" <anonymous@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1sh5eykbg1u2q$.dlg@xxxxxx

> For the majority of my email work, I use Pegasus Mail, which I find to be
> more useful than any of: MS Outlook Expess, Windows Live Mail, or Mozilla
> Thunderbird.
>
> However, Pegasus Mail is a straight email client; the author decided to
> concentrate on having an email client which does one thing well (email)
> instead of two things poorly (email and news). For news, I use 40tude
> Dialog, which is better news client than any of: MS Outlook Expess,
> Windows
> Live Mail, or Mozilla Thunderbird. While it can do email, it can't do it
> as
> well as Pegasus Mail.

Thanks, Norman. I'll have to take a look at Pegasus Mail.

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email
 
R

Ron Sommer

#20
WLM is an email program on your computer.
It does not have servers.
Hotmail/Msn/Live.com have servers.
--
Ronald Sommer

"Don Cohen" <doncohen@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:#Fxu3j2MJHA.1156@xxxxxx

>
> "...winston" <winstonmvp@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:OzoDQgyMJHA.2824@xxxxxx
>

>> WLM has two approaches to Contacts.
>> 1. SignOn with a Live ID(that is also a Hotmail/Msn/Live.com) account and
>> the Contacts for WLM and Hotmail synchronize(the same Contacts are
>> available in WLMessgenger).
>> 2. Do not sign on with a LiveID(Hotmail/MSn/Live.com) and Windows Live
>> Mail uses the local 'Default' Contacts. These contacts are empty until
>> one migrates contacts from another email(occurs during installation)or
>> imports from a prior saved *.csv file.
>>
>> Adding/Deleting contacts in (1) will add or remove the Contacts from all
>> locations after a subsequent synchronization.
>>
>> Adding/Deleting contacts in (2) only affects the local stored 'default'
>> contacts.
>
> This is very helpful.
>
> So in "1" above, I assume that WLM is keeping my contact list on its own
> servers somewhere - correct? Any limit to the number of contacts allowed?
> I've got over 700 (mostly from my website email list).
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> --
> Don
>
> remove "lens cap" for email